JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't know who wrote this, but it is the truth. Just think of all of the traditions that are being taken away from our kids.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they
carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored
lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took
hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but
we weren't overweight because

WE! W! ERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back
when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the
bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no
99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell
phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat
rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't
had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They
actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers
and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as
kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to r! un through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Love it! I grew up in the 80s but it was still like this for me. I never had a Nintendo like I wanted, but I did have a basketball. I remember always thinking how lousy my parents were for making me go outside and play, but now I am super grateful for that.

I won't let my kids go to a "harvest party" but I will let them go to a halloween party. My kids don't go to any "holiday party" They can go to Christmas parties though.

Food had purity because it corporations were not into greed mode. Real sugar was used instead of corn syrup, Real ingredients instead of chemicals and fillers. Fewer distracted drivers in oversized vehicles. More stay-at-home moms who kept an eye on the street. People had low incomes, but they had food, clothes and shelter. Kids entertained themselves and did not rely on electronics. Less electrical and emf pollution. I had access to a free medical clinic in the neighborhood.

During high school, I worked as a supermarket cashier. I had to do the math for making change in my head. If we were off by more than two dollars at the end of the day, we got a demerit. Two in a month and you were demoted to making deliveries. I got one demerit in two years. The first calculator came out around 1970 - add subtract, multiply and divide (that was it) for $90. Also, we would do an inventory of the whole store with paper and pencil.

Across the street was a real butcher shop with roosters crowing in the morning. A vegetable cart would come by selling fresh picked stuff. The milkman made deliveries. No microwaves or plastic wrap. A cop might grab you by the collar and take you to your parents. Any kid's parent was happy that someone else mom whacked him if he acted up. People were always stopping and talking to each other on the street. Moms and dads sat on the front steps or on benches while the kids played until well after dark.

Hard drugs hit the streets big-time in the late 60s - crime went up, people locked their doors at night, stayed inside more and interacted less. Things went downhill from there.

when my 9 year old son was 6 he buttered a piece of toast in the morning with a plastic butter knife. he then stuck the plastic butter knife in his back pocket, thinking he might want more toast, and forgot about it. one of the teachers saw the plastic butter knife sticking out of his back pocket when he got to school. he was suspended from school for three days and we had to go to a meeting at the district office to keep him from being expelled. apparently he broke their "zero tolerance" policy for bringing "weapons" to school.

Yes, things have changed over the years

when my 9 year old son was 6 he buttered a piece of toast in the morning with a plastic butter knife. he then stuck the plastic butter knife in his back pocket, thinking he might want more toast, and forgot about it. one of the teachers saw the plastic butter knife sticking out of his back pocket when he got to school. he was suspended from school for three days and we had to go to a meeting at the district office to keep him from being expelled. apparently he broke their "zero tolerance" policy for bringing "weapons" to school.

Just be glad he wasnt arrested.:s0155:

That is so much BS. What has happened?

Over a plastic butter knife? What does the school think he is going to do with a plastic butter knife? Is there a difference if he took a plastic butter knife out of the lunch room back to the class?

Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup in damn near everything these days

There's a great documentary called "King Corn" where 2 recent college graduates who don't know a damn thing about Corn Syrup move to the midwest and plant an acre of corn- then they follow it from seed to market.

Over a plastic butter knife? What does the school think he is going to do with a plastic butter knife? Is there a difference if he took a plastic butter knife out of the lunch room back to the class?

They are only allowed RUBBER spoons in school now. Safety first... for the children. :nuts:

the reason this sort of insanity is so common is that we, the ones who FUND this sort of "education" through our outrageous property taxes, have sat idly by as a bunch of whiney smarmy nitwits have TOLD us what is good for our children, and we have dutifully nodded out heads and said "yes'm, you;re right". These sorts have got an "education" somewhere or other, have some alphabet soup they can print after their names, and so are right. And we have let them BE right. Hah, most of the plastic "tableware" I've seen of late is such cheap chinese garbage the butter'd better be pretty warm to keep from BREAKING the stupid things. And they call this "weapon"? I'll wager that kid could do far more damage with the two fists God gave him than that sorry excuse of a "knife" he absentmindedly left in his back pocket.

And I wonder... have any of these "educated" school chumps, I mean, officials, ever stopped to consider the trauma such behaviour on their part can wreak on an innocent kid thinking ONLY of the possiblity of having another piece of toast, but getting hied off to the clink for have a "weapon" in his pocket instead? Such is the stuff that will make a sane kid begin to seriously wonder at the intelligence, and therefor the rightness, of the very officials put in place to "protect" him. Hah, MY Daddy had to ride his horse to school, and always carried his MUM's Winchester rifle with him. It was "only" a .22, so it was considered safe. That was when he was ten or so. When he was 14, the school bought a bus.... and since he lived the furthest out, HE is the one who would drive it home, dropping off all the other kids on the way. True story. Fourteen, and driving the schoolbus... and I'll bet he brought that Winchester along for the ride most days... never can tell when they mightn't scare up a cottontail, or even a deer..... gots ta eat, ya know.
The reason a kid can get in dutch for bringing a butter knife, and a plastic one to boot, to school is that those who HAVE done physical harm to others (and I'm NOT talking about dishing out the well-deserved drubbing in the bushes after school let out in the afternoon) have been let off clean. What sort of mentality is being shoved into our kids in the government schools? A sick mind, that 's what. Whilst we have sat idly by and allowed the "professionals" to have their way.

I loved it when I read of the school district in Texas changing the rules to allow teachers to carry concealed... while in duty at school. Oh the cries and wailings that went up once word of that one got out!! Yeah, sure, the teachers only wanted to carry to keep the kids in line..... no, they were on about having half a chance of protecting themselves and their kids at school should a couple of whackjobs come in and open fire.... like Columbine, Virginia Tech, that Amish schoolroom, and too many other places. Bet anyont thinking of that sort of conduct will NOT try it at any of the schools in THAT county!! Even if not one teacher ever packs, the simple fact that they CAN, legally, will deter any perpetrators of harm. Funny, that.....

Every time my wife tells the story of our son, Jacob, and his plastic butter knife, she says that her biggest frustration in the whole thing is that they taught our 6 year old that a plastic butter Knife could be used as a weapon.

With Jacob this is not a big deal. He has been raised from the womb to respect guns and knives. He knows how to be safe with them. Other children have not been raised with this deep respect and the school administration teaching this lesson to them could be bad.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top