JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Every been trap shooting? With an old pump gun?
Hahahaha NO DOUBT! The tennis players of the gun world.

And I have met a number of "gun snobs" elsewhere too.
Matter of fact, almost everytime I walk into a shop with a Team Glock sign out front.
They get pissy when I only want to look at used guns,... Of other brands.

Yeah, guy named Marvin that I used to work with. Brags himself up constantly. I told him that I have a Daewoo AR100, he says his buddy shoots one in three gun and considers it a "throwaway rifle"

On the other hand his 10-22 is a badass "I turned it into a high performance rifle." A bit puzzled I asked if it's the magnum version? "No, it's a 22LR but I put a bull barrel on it and now it's a high performance rifle." :s0112::s0114:

"Every been trap shooting? With an old pump gun?" Yes, do it all the time, only a few at the club ever say any thing. I tried to buy better scores with new guns, found out ammo was a better investment. Used to think that a gun should be made of steel and walnut but have learned to like the plastic ones. Some of us just take longer to adjust to changes.

Being an AKM enthusiast I get this all the time.

"An AK is incredibly inaccurate, an AK is cheaply made in a commie countries, The magazine sticks too far out for a prone position".. etc..

I usually get most of this from newly discharged soldiers who thing the M4/m16a2..etc platform was brought down from the heavens and is the bees knees..

I do like the ergonomics of the AR, but it has just as many flaws (That I can find) that in-turn they can find in my favorite weapon platform.

Also, most people figure that the cost of a weapon proves its reliability and performance.. NOT TRUE..
I had a friend shell out $$$ for a "Custom" 1911 and my little $450 Mac 10 preformed without a single problem, and I wouldn't be afraid to use it as a club after I had ran out of ammo either. :D

I'm not so much a gun snob. If it is a good gun, I don't really care who makes it (unless they have a sub par warranty), or where it was made. I've owned a lot of older Comm-Bloc weapons, they ALL worked, and worked very well. I own a "cheap" Philippino made 1911 that runs just fine. I've owned Glocks, British rifles, Japanese rifles, American made rifles, Indian built rifles, Swiss... ****, even own a French MAS....all have worked, all have been relatively inexpensive for what each respective piece was.

That being said, I do run across some rather opinionated people from time to time. One of my favorite gun shops has a few guys who are pretty opinionated...while the range right upstairs is the opposite. I've watched a gunsmith chuckle while one sale's guy went on a little speel about particular AR makers. I think there is less BS with the gunsmith though, as I think he knows that I don't discriminate, and that I find the occasional snobbery funny. Ultimately the staff is nice, so that counts for something... they just get a little myopic sometimes.

Check the Gun Room thead it will give you all the gun snob stories you can stand. The firearm coommunity as a whole is great, full of good people willing to share time, knowledge and experience. I've owned alot of guns, many inexpensive and I have had alot of fun with them. for concealed carry I prefer a flame thrower in a sleeping bag.

Nothing is better than the ignorant Gun-Snob.
Friend of mine who I shoot with often: "If you buy a hi-point carbine, I'll never talk to you again".... a gun I want because they look fun, just haven't bought yet.
But he is the same guy that says "I was filing and fitting new parts for my 1911 last night for hours to get it to fit right" (Me): "are you carrying it today?" (Him): "No, I'm carry my Glock, I want something that will fire every time!"

Started to type another story out, but its long... but reflects the rest of this thread: Gun Snobs are ill informed by choice.

I'm a snob regarding shooting off the bench. I can't carry one into the field, so I don't use one in practice. Other than that, I'd as soon bang an 8" plate at 200 yards with my 91/30 Mosin Nagant prone open sights as I would with my Hensoldt-scoped HK.

Keith

I remember hearing a guy say, "I don't like cheap guns as the owners are moments from becoming a criminal" - or something to that effect. Funny thing is, that very same guy went to prison for a gun crime :s0155:

I grew up around the antique car culture and it is the same mentality. Sub cultures of sub cultures. Nothing I like to do more than getting a Ford/Glock/Chevy/Revolver/Dodge/1911 riled up.

My father told me that he went to a local show put on by the Chevy Nomad group. Tons of Nomads around of every design, custom, everything, to the point of obvious redundancy. One of his (my fathers) friends had a Pontiac Safari and he was asked to leave. Although I have found out in my years of car culture that Chevy owners are the biggest whiners out there.

Bow hunters and fly fisherman fall into the snob category also, right next to O/U shotgunners ;)

Telling a Colt SAA aficionado that the Ruger Blackhawk is higher quality, telling a 1911 freak a (any brand) polymer handgun is better. Whether I believe it or not it is funny to get fanboys riled up.

Hey COSME, I carry a Sig .380 often. I also practice with it often and feel that it's a very practical and effective caliber for close range with fmj ammo. I prefer my larger cal handguns but on days and situations when I can't comfortably conceal a .45 I trust the little guy.

When I was a kid I shot and killed a small spike deer with a bolt action .22lr and I have always believed that ounce for ounce deer are tougher than the average bad guy.

So if I may jump in here? Often times when I walk in to a gun shop outside of the town I live in I find that more times than not the "muttin head" behind the counter "thinks" he knows all their is to know about what I want and like and "God forbide it's of Russian decent"! Example: I walked in to a well know gun store on River road in Eugene and asked if they sold any Tapco brand mags for an SKS. It was one of those moments in live when you have to ask yourself "why is everyone looking at me like I'm the whore in church"? He then breaks in to this diatribe on how putting anything aftermarket on an SKS is strictly forbidden by law (the knob behind the counter had no idea that I know my 10 or less 922 regs on the SKS) and proceeds to bash the SKS. This is just one of several experiances i have had over the years where you get the "that gun's trash" or "commie block gun's are for ghetto trash who can't afford a good one".

Perhaps we shouldn't call the snobby gun store's just gun store's

Maybe we should call them "high end gun boutique's"

I like that, it has an overpriced, arrogant, yet sissy ring to it!

When it comes to handguns 1911 guys seem to be the leaders of the pack when it comes to being snobs. I own a Kimber and a RIA, both are nice firearms but not what I would carry daily. When I bought a S&W M&P 45 I got a lot of heat. I can't tell you how often I've heard the J Browning story. Firearms have advanced since then and while the 1911 is still a top choice it doesn't always fit the daily carry needs for everyone. I wanted something lighter and the M&P fit my need well. Summer carry was a whole nother issue I have a sig 230 that I carry when in shorts and a tee shirt and have been told it will only piss of the bad guy. I highly doubt he will be pissed for long after I put eight gold dots in him. Been looking for a snub nose 38 revolver and again I get the same BS, five rounds might not stop the bad guy. My response is, then shame on me for my poor shooting. On some forums Glock or 1911 rule but it's nice to have a forum where all guns are treated equal. It's not so much about the firearm you have as it is the firearm you will carry every time you leave your home. Find what fits you well and carry daily.

Yeah some of those 1911 guys, I tell ya.

Once had one of them go on and on about how the 1911 is the best pistol ever designed, that day he went on to experience 4 stovepipes out of 100 rounds fired with his S&W 1911. I've had $90 pistols that perform better than that.

Will I am currently getting the same heat from some of my less educated gun buddys because I have been looking at adding another 45 to my collection and its not a 1911 but a XD tactical that holds more then 8 rounds. That ankle piece I was talking about when I started this thread is a Sig 238 and being a Colt Mustang owner this gun is impressive and I do have to agree with the other comment about carrying FMJ in that caliber that if you are going to carry 380 then the FMJ is more effective than 80% of factory hollow points out there because of lack of velocity in my own opinion. I gotta tell you guys I just turned 30 and have ment some colorful gun characters know it all's out there, and I have to thank some of them because I've even learned a few things (little) but will always consider myself a student of firearms reloading and shooting in general with a non bias opinion

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top