JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ever go to a gun store or a show and ask a question and get a snobby I know it all answer or just get a bad bubblegum vibe from the guys behind the counter. I'm not new to guns but am no means an expert. I have a whole host of different carry options I use for different places. For instance a friend of mine stops by my work and wants to know whats new so I show him the new 380 ACP on the new ankle holster and the response I get was "what are you going to do with that besides piss someone off" I just shake my head because he is and always has been a "gun snob" I own every major handgun caliber out there and I think that CCW holders should do what is most comfortable for them when it comes to carrying. For those gun snobs out there, not everyone who buys a gun sits at home online and tells storys of what they would do to a bad guy if given the chance I am a firm believer in marksmanship not caliber size. Lets here your best gun snob story

Come down here to Portland, go to the gun shoppe named "The Gun Room" and ask for a Glock.

Hold on for the ride!!!:s0114::s0114:

I have met tons of "gun snobs" as a dealer.

I'm kinda to opposite. I believe a .22 in your pocket for concealed carry is better than nothing.

Some think anything besides a full size 1911 will get you killed.

"If you shoot someone with a .380, they will just get pissed and keep coming at you"

Whatever............I sure as heck wouldn't. Point a .22 at me and I'm going to back off quick!!

I do however believe you shouldn't "cheap out" on a personal carry gun.

Carry the largest caliber you can comfortably, and pick a brand that is reliable.

Summertime in basketball short, you may only be able to carry a .380 comfortably..........

Or a NAA Mini-revolver in .22.

Carry something............I find that if it is uncomfortable to carry, I will leave the gun at home. That is when you will actually end up needing it. (Newton's Law)......or is that Murphy's law............I've had a couple beers..........

I have met many Gun Snobs. Sad thing is most of them are friends or co-workers. One of my favorite quotes was "Your not safe unless your CCW has a 4 in the caliber." I didn't know having a CCW made anyone safe?

I am a gun snob with regard to quality, not price or brand. That said, most of the gun snobs I have met are not gun snobs, but caliber snobs. Yes, a .45 is more effective than a .25. But, .45 and .44 magnum are not the only effective rounds in existence and concealability is a factor for many of us. I agree with Coctailer: any gun is better than no gun.

the 1911 guys mostly! Doesn't matter much what brand either, just seems they think the 1911 is the only thing you should carry.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

This reminds me of a funny story that happened last month.

I was going through a defensive handgun course at the Roseburg Rod and Gun Club when one of the guys in my range group asked me if I was happy with my Glock 17. I have had the gun for about 5 years, put about 5k-6k rounds through it, and I am very happy with it. I told him exactly that, and he looked down at me and said, " I would never trust my life with one of those plastic guns. Only gun I will carry is a revolver or a 1911. They never fail. I just said Ok, and we continued shooting. 10 minutes later, as he is advancing through a scenario, he stops and beings to fiddle with his gun. A cartridge is completely jammed in the revolver (not barrel) and he cannot get it out. The range office had to stop the range and remove the spent casing with a leatherman.
Needless to say, I ran through the scenario with 3 tactical reloads (just to prove a point) without any problems.
That being said, I am by no means a Glock lover. Just a gun lover in general. People seem very close minded about guns and perhaps unable to accept new technology. I simply weigh the cost/benefits of a high capacity automatic to revolver. They both have their good points, but neither is bad.

I used to work with a guy that said anything less than H-K was junk and anything less than .45 was just gonna piss someone off. He also happened to own an H-K .45, he had the same attitude about everything HE owned. The funny thing was this was the only gun he owned and HE HAD NEVER FIRED IT. I suspect a lot of gun snob-ery stems more from ignorance than enlightenment.

I suspect a lot of gun snob-ery stems more from ignorance than enlightenment.

Ding, Ding, Ding, We have a winner folks!

All kinds of gun snobs, caliber snobs that have never shot a rabbit with a .22lr and think a .25acp well bounce off a leather jacket. Then the brand snobs that equate their skill with the cost of their equipment. Tupperware snobs, wood and steel snobs, it goes on and on.

Ding, Ding, Ding, We have a winner folks!

All kinds of gun snobs, caliber snobs that have never shot a rabbit with a .22lr and think a .25acp well bounce off a leather jacket. Then the brand snobs that equate their skill with the cost of their equipment. Tupperware snobs, wood and steel snobs, it goes on and on.

There are people in every category that think they just absolutely know everything. When I meet those people I just sort of nod my head and move on as quick as possible.

After shooting a chipmunk last weekend with my .22, I sure as heck wouldnt want to get shot by one. It destroyed the little thing.

Everything breaks, just some break alot quicker than others. Quality is in the eye of the owner. Peoples views change with exspearience, if their view hasn't changed yet they haven't done anything. Exspearience doesn't come from reading but doing.

jj

Come down here to Portland, go to the gun shoppe named "The Gun Room" and ask for a Glock.

I'm kinda to opposite. I believe a .22 in your pocket for concealed carry is better than nothing.

Some think anything besides a full size 1911 will get you killed.

"If you shoot someone with a .380, they will just get pissed and keep coming at you"

Whatever............I sure as heck wouldn't. Point a .22 at me and I'm going to back off quick!!

Right on! I hate it when I hear the 'piss them off' argument. Way to get someone not to have ANYTHING at all if/when they need it.

LOL. Over the years I have owned a good few guns, some cheap and some not. I can honestly say that the only gun I ever owned that I considered pure junk was a Jennings 9mm I bought years ago. I bought it brand new and on 3 different occasions when I chambered a round it fired on it's own! Good thing I learned at a early age to always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction! lol. That gun got junked!

I have met a lot of gun snobs. Quite a few guys who claim that if you don't buy the top of the line you might as well bother. I have heard that crap from some AR guys, and a lot of 1911 guys as has been mentioned! I also agree that anytime you bring up a hi-point around multiple gun owners it will bring them out in a hurry! lol. Got to say I would trust my hi-point carbine as a home defence weapon any day.

Not very different with Guns, cars, stereos, home theater, motorcycle, clothes, shoes, furniture, antiques, art works, food, or even detergent. I think once you develop a sufficient level of sensitivity to a type of thing it really isn't just an attitude toward that object, but it is a degree of enlightened comprehension of the essential character of that object that allows you to see it's inherent goodness in a way that the uninitiated can't.

We all tend to have developed that sensitivity to some type of object while not caring about it in the case of another set of objects. I'm happy with my Walmart rags, econobox cars, and cheap guns that shoot well, but try to give me a grain based tequila, tell me I have to ride a motorcycle not as excellent as my FJR1300, make we watch a regular TV show, or listen to modern pop music and I'm going to go all snob on ya!

So, when meeting a snob it is best to change the subject to something they don't care about so you can give that ignoramus a taste of their own medicine. If you probe hard enough you will find a little beefaroni somewhere you can exploit.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top