JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at a pistol shop today order a gun. While I was there I met a guy that was going into the bail enforcement profession. We did not really chat much.

Later the same day I saw him at another gunshop. He recognized me and started a conversation. During the conversation is when I learned he was going into bail enforcement and that he was looking for a gun to carry for work.

I went about my business looking at guns and I heard him talking to the sales clerk next to me. he then asked me what I though of the Glock 26. I told hi I really liked it and that I thought it would make a great carry gun. He wants something concealable.

A few minutes later I come back over to near where he is and I hear that the conversation has changed and he was now decided on buying a different gun. It was a bersa .380acp pistol. He said he liked the Glock but $525 was about a $100 more than he had to spend. At this point I decided to stick my big nose into his business.

I told him that the Bersa would probably be fine but he might find himself later wishing he had bought a little more gun and that he owed it to himself to look at all options before making a decision then if he still wanted the Bersa he would feel like he made an informed decision and not regret it later.. I told him that I knew he did not want to spend as much as the Glock but suggested a couple other guns closer to the $400 range. One of the ones I suggested he look at was the Ruger SR9c 9mm pistol. He ended up really liking it and bought it there on the spot.

I might have been out of line putting my opinion into the equation but I do not feel bad about offering it when someone asks...even if it differs from what they want to hear.

Anyone else ever do similar?

Given that he is going to carry in that line of work, its likely a good thing you steered him away from .380 auto. Having something is better than nothing, but when you may end up dealing with "tough guys".. .380 is likely not the best choice..

Unless its pink..
:s0114:

a local guy in medford has an add he runs about buying used guns
was at his shop one day in CP and an old lady was showing him a box with all her dead husbands hand guns over hearing what he was saying she was wanting to sell them but did not know how much they were worth
he started to say how dirty they were and that he would have to clean them etc etc
i asked the lady " are you selling them?"
she said yes
the shop owner right then and there told me to " GET OUT NOW "
cant remember the gun but he was going for like $25 on a gun thats was worth $400

I think getting helpful advice in that situation is a great idea.
Having someone help you (as long as its honest) is a great way to steer someone in a better direction.
Especially someone new to firearms.

a few years back I wandered into Keith's and browsed for a little bit. I noticed a guy and his girlfriend walk into the shop, mostly because she was cute. :D The boyfriend was attempting to teach her about the different types and calibers of handguns, but without any degree of patience.

The boyfriend eventually wandered off, talking with a salesman, leaving the girl staring into the glass case with a bewildered expression on her face. I stepped over casually and asked her if she needed any help.

She looks at me with these big, doe eyes that would melt anyone's heart. Then she points at a couple handguns and asks, "Whats the difference between this one and that one?" She was indicating a pair of Ruger P-series automatics.

It didn't take more than 30 seconds for me to realize that she had exactly zero knowledge of guns in general. I gently led her around the store for a good 20 minutes, trying to give her a basic understanding of handguns. The boyfriend noticed of course, and quietly followed us around, listening.

Eventually the salesman at Keith's grabbed the girls attention and tried selling her on a Glock 19, taking it apart and explaining all the technical details that went totally over her head. She dutifully took notes on a small pad of paper, nodding at him.

The best part of the whole ordeal came when the salesman and the boyfriend starting talking, and she slipped over to stand next to me, holding the notepad so I could see it. She asked in a quiet voice, "Whats a Glock 19? Is it kind of like the other gun you were showing me over there?" My heart just about broke right then.

Eventually the couple decided to leave the shop and the girl thanked me for the help. The boyfriend even shook my hand and thanked me for being patient with his girl. I'll never forget that experience. I never regret stepping in to help someone thats drowning in information. :s0155:

I was at Cabelas in Lacey. There was a gentleman that was looking at buying a used GSG-5 for way too much there. I waited until the clerk went to get the paperwork and then mentioned that he could get one of the newer GSG-522's at Sportco in Fife for about $200+ less than he was about to pay. He evidently told the clerk that he changed his mind and I was getting some dirty looks from the clerk afterwards! I considered it my good deed for the day especially since $200 can buy a lot of ammo and accessories!

HAHA Judicator,good job! :s0155:

Now if you do that and the BF ever says something,tell him it is better to have someone else train your wife/GF to shoot/buy guns .They won't get pissed as fast as the BF/husband will.
Good job.

I have done this many times.I will tell someone to try a different brand or why I don't like a particular gun.
Other items ? No
Guns are more important,so yes I will.

saxon
a local guy in medford has an add he runs about buying used guns
was at his shop one day in CP and an old lady was showing him a box with all her dead husbands hand guns over hearing what he was saying she was wanting to sell them but did not know how much they were worth
he started to say how dirty they were and that he would have to clean them etc etc
i asked the lady " are you selling them?"
she said yes
the shop owner right then and there told me to " GET OUT NOW "
cant remember the gun but he was going for like $25 on a gun thats was worth $400

Now I wouldn't have any problem with telling this lady to call me or that I would double his offer.
That was BS if you ask me.
Hope you stopped her from selling them to that shop

Have I ever intervened? Sort of. A couple of years ago I was at a pawn shop in Bend (bought a couple of guns from them in the past - when the price was right) and while I was accomplishing my weekly check to see if they had anything I was interested in a guy came in with a gun to sell. He was showing it to the ChumLee wannabee behind the counter and I moved closer to listen and noticed it was an early Colt Combat Commander in .38 Super. The counter guy was having a problem even knowing what it was so I politely interrupted and helped him out with removing the slide and looking it over. Externally it was scratched and the bluing was somewhat rough but it seemed tight and just needed a full disassembly and cleaning. The counterguy was getting a little agitated with me so I backed off to hear the numbers. I clearly heard him tell the guy "Well I can give you $150.00 for it" I watched closely waiting for what I hoped happen next IE. the guy refuse and leave to which I wanted to follow him out and make him a reasonable offer. Somehow I got distracted and missed him leaving and was unable to make contact with him.

Once a few years back I stopped by Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham. It turns out that weekend they were having a gun show and the only people in the shop were who I believe to be Keith's wife and possibly his daughter. I saw his wife was on the phone and searching for something. I overheard her say 7.62x39 and was starting to get flustered so I quietly pointed it out on the shelf to her. She finished helping the person on the phone then thanked me. I thought nothing of it, I don't mind helping people.

Well a few minutes later she walks a gentleman up to me and asks if I would mind helping him? I said "sure, I'm just here enjoying my day I really don't mind at all!" It ended up this fellow was from Ireland and just got his paperwork/citizenship and could own firearms. He had always wanted a handgun but knew very little about them. I ended up chatting with him for about an hour and if I remember correctly ended up with a Stoegar Cougar. It fit his hand, was in his price range, and being a Beretta copy would probably end up being a great gun. He was grateful to have my help, and I was happy to be there. Hope life is treating you well sir, enjoy America :)

If someone asks, or I've engaged them in conversation, I'm in. If I hear bad (but not illegal) advice, I let it go. I don't own the property and it is their business to run.

I liken it to being at a car dealership and telling potential purchasers what might be wrong with the merchandise.

At the WAC shows when there is a "DGS" table I will tell everyone to go somewhere else not just because of cost but customer service as well. I also told some lady who was trying to "trade in" a revolver on an m&p, just to sell it online and told her about here and seattleguns.net. I think she eventually caved to the guy and accepted $175 when I would have given her $250 no problem but didn't have the cash, yet again because it "needed to be cleaned"

I was in a gun shop in Tillamook with my brother a few years ago when I was new to the beautiful world of firearms. I believe we were looking at scope rings while a woman was buying a revolver for self-defense purposes. While the sale was legitimate and the price was at retail my brother informed that they were selling the revolver for $200-300 more than other places all the while the employee was telling the lady she wouldn't be able to find a better price anywhere else.

That experience helped open my eyes and I can't pretty much guarantee you that I will not be buying a firearm from the shop that used to be the only gun store in Tillamook:s0155:

For those of us who a newbies to firearms.... please intervene if we are about to do something stupid:eek:

(edits to quote by me, btw and I'm veering off topic for a sec as I often do :eek:)
... a few minutes later she walks a gentleman up to me and asks if I would mind helping him? I said "sure, I'm just here enjoying my day I really don't mind at all!" It ended up this fellow was from Ireland and just got his paperwork/citizenship and could own firearms. He had always wanted a handgun but knew very little about them. I ended up chatting with him for about an hour...He was grateful to have my help, and I was happy to be there. Hope life is treating you well sir, enjoy America :)
On behalf of the American-Irish contingent here on the forum, I thank you, sir :D

And now, actually ON topic: I got into a conversation with a nice kid looking at a used Neos (I used to have one) and quietly pointed out the ugly damage it had from apparently being dry-fired what looked like a zillion trillion times & why that was a very bad thing. Which got us talking about rim-fired vs. center-fired, taking a training class etc. Though I've still got a LOT to learn myself, it sure feels nice to be able to help a brand new shooter avoid flushing their cash down the bog... and he was stoked for the input.

Exactly, bounty hunting isn't legal in Oregon... so I am confused how he is going into bail enforcement.

Perhaps he is planning to do it elsewhere?

Its his business not mine. /shrug

Before buying a gun, Im usually reading as much as I can about it online, and looking up new and used prices for it.

I am lucky that the two gun shops close to me are very competitively priced even with online prices for their new stuff. (Thus far with everything I've looked at.. GunBroker, Woodburn and Wild Bills, Molalla)

There are those people who don't know any better, and I would certainly at least try to steer them to the internet for more information before such a purchase. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top