JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One time I did NOT pull my gun is actually a little funny, now. Fishing on the White Salmon, I was backed up against a bank just barely higher than my head. When I caught a keeper, I'd toss it up on the bank behind me. I reached up after a bit to feel my fish for a count and there was nothing there. Confused, I stepped down the shore just a bit, where the bank was lower and looked. There was a VERY satisfied black bear, about 1 year-old, waiting patiently for the rest of his lunch. ;)

Pops

One time I did NOT pull my gun is actually a little funny, now. Fishing on the White Salmon, I was backed up against a bank just barely higher than my head. When I caught a keeper, I'd toss it up on the bank behind me. I reached up after a bit to feel my fish for a count and there was nothing there. Confused, I stepped down the shore just a bit, where the bank was lower and looked. There was a VERY satisfied black bear, about 1 year-old, waiting patiently for the rest of his lunch. ;)

Pops

Yowzer!

I hope an bubblegum-beating of the dog's owner followed after mom & dad & kid got home from the ER for that one. I also hope that animal control was called and put that dog down - if mom or dad didn't just find it and blow it's puny puppy brains all over the sidewalk while slapping the bad owner with the hospital bill.

Don't recall what happened to the owner. Pretty sure the dog was put down.

Not a gun, but I was in my garage and reaching for the machete before the neighbor ran up and grabbed their dog. I was headed to work (federal instalation) so no gun on me. I was pretty pissed at the time. I did not appreciate being cornered in my own garage by an aggressive dog. The wierdest part is that the dog know me and I have pet it on numerous occasions. That morning he just decided he wanted to come into my garage.

I was actually trying to decide between the machette and the samurai sword. The sword is a cheapo replica, but I had just sharpened the blade and it cuts quite nice. Not sure how well it would hold up to a full strength swing though.

Not a gun, but I was in my garage and reaching for the machete before the neighbor ran up and grabbed their dog. I was headed to work (federal instalation) so no gun on me. I was pretty pissed at the time. I did not appreciate being cornered in my own garage by an aggressive dog. The wierdest part is that the dog know me and I have pet it on numerous occasions. That morning he just decided he wanted to come into my garage.

I was actually trying to decide between the machette and the samurai sword. The sword is a cheapo replica, but I had just sharpened the blade and it cuts quite nice. Not sure how well it would hold up to a full strength swing though.

I had a small situation that was similar. By small I mean it was a little yappy fluff ball that decided to come from the neighbors to my back deck and would not let my kids out...Kept growling and yapping away. My dog would have mauled it and I could not help but find it a little funny since the neighbors asked me to put a bell on my cat since she keeps tearing that dog apart. "can you please just put a bell on her so our little dog can hear her coming" I put the kids behind me and set the cat by the door and opened it. That dog ran and got tackled by my cat about 3 feet into its getaway. It got scratched up a bit but when it squeezed back under the fence my cat sat on the fence staring at it for what seemed like the rest of the day.
The guy asked me if I knew what had happened and how his dog got cut up....Sometimes its better to bite your tongue and say "hmmm I did not hear anything" even if its not a great lesson to your kids who you tell never to lie. They found it to be about the funniest thing they ever saw when the cat launched like a missile out the door at that thing. My dog would have killed it. I think I was fair for that little bubblegum to get beat down by my cat who already has it in her head that that dog belongs to her.

I grew up in Louisiana, where I hunted on a regular basis for most of my life. I was out at my favorite spot hunting whitetail when I saw four dogs run across my shooting lane . I figured that there was no use hunting after that so I packed it in and rode {quad} back to the truck to go home. I had to park out on the shoulder of a public road that was lined with houses so I figured the dogs belonged to someone that lived on the street. After loading up the quad on the trailer I looked up and two of the dogs were standing between me and my truck door. Growling and staring at me with their ears pinned back I pulled my 1911 from her holster and leveled off on the closest dog. These were mutts, big mutts, but mutts none the less. As they approached I put 240 grns between the first ones eyes and turned to the second who was now sitting on the ground looking at what was left of his battle buddy. I shot him as he regained his feet, I hit him lower than the first on catching him in the neck just above his breastplate. I felt awful for the rest of the day and for the next few days as well. I rationalized that it was them or me and well my wife thinks I made the right call.
Shooting someone's pet isn't easy or something to be taken lightly but it can be the right decision if the animal isn't controlled by its owner. That being said I think you did the right thing you are more important to your family!

I hate to get in the position where I need to shoot a dog. I go to great pains to control my dogs here in the country. It's not right in my mind for someone to not control their "pet". Here in Oklahoma the law covers the land owner if you need to shoot a dog on your own property. When I was stationed at McCord AFB in Tacoma I had been working on my Yamaha DT400 and while went to take it on a test drive I had forgotten to turn the fuel back on. I got about 1/2 mile away from our house when the bike quit. At the same time a big lab mix started at me growling and on the prod for a fight. That was back in 1979 and I had not had my concealed license very long. As the dog crept up on me I spoke firmly to the dog and drew my 1911 .45 ACP. I decided that if the dog crossed the yellow line I was going to drop it. I figured the yellow line was a safe reaction distance for me to work within. It was not very long before the owner came out and called the dog back. I told him that his dog was one step away from dead and surprisingly enough he seemed to understand.
I've been put in the position several times in having to put down feral dogs that were attacking my cattle. I hate the sound of a dog when it has been shot but not killed instantly. I keep very close control over my animals so no one has to do that for me.

Actually I don't like to kill things even varmits it gives me no pleasure I do it because it has to be done.. That being said I will protect myself ,family and animals livestock when I had them without concern as needed. Me or a dog ? Easy the dog goes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top