JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep. Had 3 pitbulls bearing down on my and two labs from well over 100 yards away with their worthless homeless owners chasing after them yelling for them to stop. I thinking, "Really, is this all the control you have on these animals?" I thought I was going to have to shoot them but I guess they know what a firearm is because as soon as I draw my Glock and pointed it at them they instantly hit the brakes. I will not be mauled by some ones out of control animal, period. The owner wants to get stupid, well we can go there too.
Yes 4 dogs form the hood.Running in a pack.started charging me. This was at my house.the dogs alone were fine .But in a pack.Look out. I was 10 feet away .They were going to bite me.Then I pulled on them It was my turn.They seen it and ran away. the dogs knew something was up...

Somian? Never heard of that one. Samoyed maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoyed_(dog)

Hey Somoan dogs can be nasty little things even though they look dumb as rocks. As a kid I had a part rot and part shepard and he ran free around our property. My sister and step dad each got Somoans and those things caused so much trouble we had to rehome them after they killed a neighbors entire chicken coop full of chickens and it was a little hard to deny when snow white dogs are covered in blood

Several years back we had a neighbor who had a large mixed mutt that was aggressive and escaped their yard on a regular basis. One afternoon I heard a dog fight in my back yard, at the time I had a black lab that was almost a year old. I looked out and this big mutt is in my backyard standing over my pup. I went out on the deck and yelled at the mutt and it came running at me. I went back into the house and closed the sliding glass door just as this mutt slammed against it still trying to get to me. My dog took the chance and ran under the deck, the mutt was too big to get under there but wouldn't leave my fenced back yard (it had broke through the shared fence to get in my yard). I tried a few times to make the mutt leave and each time the mutt would come running at me and slam against the door trying to get to me. I had enough so I stepped out again, this time armed and when the mutt came running I put it down. When the neighbor got home I went over and explained what had happened and told them I had put their dog down. They called 911, the end they were told I was with in my rights and ordered to pay the vet bill for my pup.

That dog was a reflection of the owners, I expect in the right home the mutt would have been a good pet. Later I learned that the owners of the mutt were renters and had trashed the house when evicted due to this issue. They never paid the vet bills and I wrote it off and money well spent.

Ive always wondered what would happen if I just socked a rabid dog in the snout.. A pack of dogs is different than just one.. It would most likely rip my leg or arm to shreds but Ive pictured that scenario.. Do some folks give into fear and freak out when dogs get nasty?.. Id want to know what it was like to fight one off.
I need to stop watching
"Into the grey"

I pulled a shovel once ( the one I happened to be using at the time), and blasted a boxer senseless. I guess he didn't think that one through!

A lot of dogs will act tough until they understand you mean business. If you go at them while making eye contact and noise some will back down. If they don't prepare for war. If they got a collar, get a hold of it and strangle that bastard. blows to the snout are effective but some dogs, once they're "turned on" it's damn near impossible to turn them off! shooting them also works!

To the OP, you are in the right. Good job keeping your head on straight!

I figure this is the most likely thing I would ever need to draw or use a gun.

Agreed.

I've never had to draw a weapon on an animal, but there were times I wished I had one when a dog chased after me. I used to ride bicycles a lot and naturally had dogs chase me, but there were few that didn't back down if I stopped and responded to their charge.

It is interesting that some dog owners don't try to control their animals until you are ready to respond with force. The owner in the OP should have been out there as soon as the dog started following the other person. This is pretty typical behavior of some people though - they think the world needs to accommodate them and they are offended when the world doesn't.

Moreover, such people tend to try to shift blame - it is a defensive coping mechanism - they know, at least subconsciously, that they are in the wrong so they blame the person they have wronged - I see it all the time. It is an effective tactic - it puts you on the defensive from the outset and sets them up as the wronged party should you press the issue. It is wise to know how to deal with this.

I have a neighbor who lets his dogs run loose. When I got here he had only one dog - it would come over from time to time - at first I think to look for the dog that used to live here, to play with it.

This dog has some bad habits besides the habit of roaming all over the neighborhood (only dog here that does that to my knowledge - others stay on their own lot), gets in fights with neighbor dogs, kills pet chickens and rabbits, and so on.

The dog will also bark at people on their own property - but generally is afraid of humans and will run off (while barking) if chased off.

I made friends with it by giving it biscuits. Now it comes willingly to me and is never aggressive or barking. It comes over begging for handouts and regularly visits me - which I welcome because I currently don't have the time to take care of a dog myself.

But it does go to show that many owners are clueless about how bad they are with regards to being responsible owners, or they are just uncaring.

One of my neighbors has a red nosed terrier.. thing is massive, probably 150+lbs that he keeps as a guard dog. Unfortunately for him, I think the dog likes me more as he comes when I call, and gets his belly rubs.

Yes. I shot a very large German Shepard that was going after my son.
The 44 mag took the fight right out of him. I went 6 for six on that mutt, the first 4 rounds were at 20 yards.
The last 2 were point blank to the head and not needed......but I was a little amped up. :D

Ive always wondered what would happen if I just socked a rabid dog in the snout.
Kinda like if you hit a man and he moves wrong,you cut your hand on teeth.Only really sharp teeth.
Now if you are quick enough you could get his attention,but they have very hard heads and it would hurt your hand more than hurt the dog

Kinda like if you hit a man and he moves wrong,you cut your hand on teeth.Only really sharp teeth.
Now if you are quick enough you could get his attention,but they have very hard heads and it would hurt your hand more than hurt the dog

Agreed. An angry dog on a mission will not back down due to a punch. Just go harder at you. I try to carry pepper spray when fishing these days as I do not want to end someones dog but it does teach an owner a lesson to have their aggressive dog be temporarily blinded and maybe knocked down when I have a chance. That does not stop it just as the OP did I am drawn and ready to shoot it. If you threaten to call the cops first they people that own those kind of dogs tend to think about saving their dog from being put down more than their anger about you doing temporary damage to it.

Then, from an old, beat up pickup truck across the aisle about 50ft away at my 10'oclock, an older man, exits and calls the dog to him and yells at me for pulling a gun.

/shrug. Yep, guess I was in the wrong.
BullS**T you were in the "wrong". I'd have been yelling back telling him to keep that dog on a leash or it's gonna end up dead!

F That guy... I'd a beat that dog into the ground right in front of him if I felt it was a threat. One dog to me doesn't equate a gun, but that is just me. Two dogs? Gun.

I've pulled a gun twice on animals. Well, actually once the gun was already out because it was my rifle and I was hunting.

The first time it was feral (I guess, cuz I was so far away from homes) dogs. I was walking down a closed road hunting deer when two dogs came my way. When they crossed into my comfort zone, I pulled my 357 Max out. I was talking to them telling them to go and about the time I cocked the hammer, they turned and left.

The second time it was wild horses. Scared the bubblegum outta me as they stomped the ground and then headed my way. Fortunately, the path they were on bypassed me by about 10 yards. Yeah, the safety was off of the '06 long before then.

Many many years ago when I was a young man I had a paper route and there was this one neighborhood where I was starting to have regular problems with . In response to my complaints my father gave me a stun gun to carry with me on my route. One morning one of the dogs came along and starts growling and advancing towards me. I pulled out the stun gun and pressed the button and let the electricity crackle for a second. Dog stopped right in its tracks and turned and trotted off.

All in all though Greywhisker, sounds like you did the right thing. Glad your alright.

Yes. The first time it was a huge raccoon on my front porch. He was at the farthest end of the porch on Capitol Hill in Seattle WAY inside the city limits.

I had gone out there to see what the fracas was between my cat and something else, which turned out to be that Raccoon. I went back inside and got my Crosman .22 pellet revolver.

When I came back out the raccoon was now about 5 feet away and started advancing on me. I let him have all six shots, center of chest, and he never flinched, just kept steadily advancing.

I went back inside and fetched the Mossberg 12 ga. Cruiser shotgun. When I came back out with that the porch was clear.

The second time was very recently, when a couple of neighbor's tiny, barky dogs were out by the front door of my car. I yelled at them to get the $%^& away but they started barking and one of them started advancing on me. The other was staying back.

I pulled out my Fox 5.3 OC and prepared to hose him with it, while yelling "go home" and slowly heading for my car door. Damned if a little barky dog is going to keep me from my own car.

Before I had to let loose, the dog backed out, and the two of them ran off. I did have my S&W 638 in a pocket with Cor-Bon 110gr. DPX's, but wanted to try the OC first until I was sure I had to escalate the force level.

edit: spellin'

Last Edited:
You just need a really bad@$$ cat:

I hope an bubblegum-beating of the dog's owner followed after mom & dad & kid got home from the ER for that one. I also hope that animal control was called and put that dog down - if mom or dad didn't just find it and blow it's puny puppy brains all over the sidewalk while slapping the bad owner with the hospital bill.

Never had to pull but I always carried in my back yard, three acres and reports of coyote packs and cougars.

I would not feel right if my granddaughters were down on the lower level playing horse shoes or putting around the practice green so I always carried my 357 just in case...

Fellow up in Anza, CA was raising fighting dogs. When he got busted, he just turned the whole crowd loose before the Sheriff's Deputies picked him up and hauled him off. After loosing two sheep and several chickens, I went hunting. Final count was 7 fighting Pits, a German Shepard mix which charged me when I met up with him and a Collie. The pack was reduced to two males that headed over the mountain.

Pops

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads