JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just curious whether any of you (or people you PERSONALLY know) have had to defend yourself from attack (NOT in the line of duty). Did you use a weapon? Would it have made a difference if you were armed, if you were not. Was there any instance that even displaying your weapon dispelled or diffesed the attack? Thanks.

Last year a friend of mine was in her place by herself when some fellow burst in through the front door which was unlocked and came at her. She fortunately had a broken shotgun nearby, pointed it at him and told him to get out. Luckily he didn't wait to find out if the shotgun worked or not.
/ross

Last year a friend of mine was in her place by herself when some fellow burst in through the front door which was unlocked and came at her. She fortunately had a broken shotgun nearby, pointed it at him and told him to get out. Luckily he didn't wait to find out if the shotgun worked or not.
/ross

The most frightening thing about that story lies in what probably happened later. That guy probably did the same thing someplace else and got away with it.

I didn't have a gun on me at the time, but I was in a bowling alley in an area notorious for a gang who likes to wear red. Apparently I looked at a guy wrong and ended up with a 9mm in my face. I am almost glad I didn't have my gun because if I did I would have shot, and probably killed (in self defense) a kid who was no more than 15 years old. I talked him down and they ended up leaving. I just wonder how it would have been if I had my gun. That right there is the main reason I carry concealed.

I didn't have a gun on me at the time, but I was in a bowling alley in an area notorious for a gang who likes to wear red. Apparently I looked at a guy wrong and ended up with a 9mm in my face. I am almost glad I didn't have my gun because if I did I would have shot, and probably killed (in self defense) a kid who was no more than 15 years old. I talked him down and they ended up leaving. I just wonder how it would have been if I had my gun. That right there is the main reason I carry concealed.

Interesting perspective, and I'm glad you didn't get hurt. Although, I'm not sure I'm glad that wanna-be gangster wasn't hurt. He probably got a huge confidence booster from that little experiment of his, and for his sake, he got lucky. If this happened to me, I would not have been glad that I wasn't carrying.

May I ask the general region in which this took place? I must add that you are under no obligation to answer.

I grew up in a small town in WV. We were very poor and fighting was a part of life. If you had something that someone else wanted, they would often take it by force. So, yes, I have fought off more than one attack in my day. I even have a nice piece of medical grade plastic where the cartilage in my nose used to be to prove it. :)

As far as using a weapon to diffuse an attack...I am a friend where the victims of an attempted car-jacking in Birmingham, AL and I luckily had a .357mag revolver between the seats in the front of the car.

Some guys had pinned us in at a redlight in the middle of nowhere and came up to the car telling us to get out. I pulled the firearm as the first guy started beating on the side window.

Luckily the sight of the gun was enough to make them decide it was best to flee.

Interesting perspective, and I'm glad you didn't get hurt. Although, I'm not sure I'm glad that wanna-be gangster wasn't hurt. He probably got a huge confidence booster from that little experiment of his, and for his sake, he got lucky. If this happened to me, I would not have been glad that I wasn't carrying.

May I ask the general region in which this took place? I must add that you are under no obligation to answer.

I guess me saying I'm almost glad I didn't have it is due to the fact that I was able to, no pun intended, disarm the situation without anyone getting hurt. By all means, if I am in another situation where someone has a gun pointed at me and I have my gun, I will be defending myself with all necessary force. It did open my eyes to how situations can be talked down though, but then again, you are probably right about a huge confidence booster for the punk and who is to say next time he won't be so hesitant to use the gun.

I was in Parkland.

Thanks, Tactical. You got to the heart of why I asked the question. As I see the economy going to crap and crime going up, I have decided to pursue my legal right to carry. But as you pointed out, it can complicate your decision making, rather than simlipy it. Obviously it is nice to have options, but it carries with it a tremendous responsibility. Thanks for your insight.

I guess me saying I'm almost glad I didn't have it is due to the fact that I was able to, no pun intended, disarm the situation without anyone getting hurt. By all means, if I am in another situation where someone has a gun pointed at me and I have my gun, I will be defending myself with all necessary force. It did open my eyes to how situations can be talked down though, but then again, you are probably right about a huge confidence booster for the punk and who is to say next time he won't be so hesitant to use the gun.

I was in Parkland.

What I meant by what I said, was that surely you would have been able to do it, regardless of being armed. You obviously have excellent self control.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and insights.

I concur.

I have been in an armed standoff in the remote woods. Both parties armed and all knew it. Defused situation. No shots fired.
Scary stuff.. Stay calm. Never draw a weapon unless ready to use it to protect your life or the life of another. You can tell when it's time to act.

I personally carry and have not run into a situation "yet" and hope I never do. It is really nice to read these stories and play them out in my head as to how I would react...

Part of me hopes there are not too many of these stories out there to share but the reality of it is there are and I would love for people to share as many as they have and run them all through our minds.

BTW very glad to hear that in all of these stores everyone has controlled the situations extremely well and not only was no one injured but so far no shots have been fired in any of these stories! Nice work guys/gals!

Swoop, I sense there is great wisdom in what you said. I don't understand it, but I'm sure it was profound.

I guess my point is that if you chase a person off that intends physical harm, thats good for you, but possibly not so good for your fellow citizen down the road. I would rather stop him there, if I can get the drop on him. Call 911 and hold him at gun point until LE. can get there.

back in 94 we had a home invasion just after we went to bed,, some dude quietly took out our living room screen window and crawled through,, the funny part was our cat started growling at him, wich put us in defense mode.he started walking slowly down the hall towards our bedroom,, and i was quietly slinking out of bed at the same time. the hallway was lit, while the bedroom was dark,, he could not see me standing 2 feet from him,, but i could se him plain as day,, so i shot out of the bedroom( in my undies) and proceeded to wrestle him down the hall and out the front door, had him pretty locked up so he couldnt move. once i had him outside ,,called the police and described him,, they picked him up 10 minutes later. I had to make a choice that night as by my bed i had a 9mm with a 15 rd. mag ready to go..but decided not to use it.( the perp got probation,, only spent 1 night in jail)..finding out tha fool did not get any real punishment made me wish i had gone the other option.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top