JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again...Thanks for sharing. I knew there might be some emotional responses. I almost didn't ask the question. But many of us are new to the idea of carrying a weapon for personal defense, so I thought it was worth exploring the thoughts, ideas and responsibilities of carrying or keeping a loaded weapon for personal defense.

Some of my friends were downtown at a club, they had just left and were right down the street when they got mugged. One of my buddy friends stood up for everybuddy and the mugger pulled out a handgun and shot him in the face. He died at the sceen, this was about two years ago and after i found out i went and got my concealed lic the next week. i refuse to go into portland without my snub nose 44 mag, i hate p town its turning into the ghetto and has been for some time now. i think most people would be surprised to know how many shootings there are downtown also by how many gang members are in our city. oh and a couple months back i got jumped by a homeless person just a few blocks from my house and i live in Lake oswego. Also had someone break into my house when i was 16 and i ran them of by sticking my MINI 14 fully loaded with a 40 round clip in thier face and then the cops picked them up down the street from my house. i will never give up my firearms, they will have to come and pry them from my cold dead hands if they want to try to ban them....

Some of my friends were downtown at a club, they had just left and were right down the street when they got mugged. One of my buddy friends stood up for everybuddy and the mugger pulled out a handgun and shot him in the face. He died at the sceen, this was about two years ago and after i found out i went and got my concealed lic the next week. i refuse to go into portland without my snub nose 44 mag, i hate p town its turning into the ghetto and has been for some time now. i think most people would be surprised to know how many shootings there are downtown also by how many gang members are in our city. oh and a couple months back i got jumped by a homeless person just a few blocks from my house and i live in Lake oswego. Also had someone break into my house when i was 16 and i ran them of by sticking my MINI 14 fully loaded with a 40 round clip in thier face and then the cops picked them up down the street from my house. i will never give up my firearms, they will have to come and pry them from my cold dead hands if they want to try to ban them....

You're right, but it's a whole heck of a lot less ghetto than most large cities. It's surprising, really, but there are reasons for it. None of which have to do with the current administration at both the city level or national level. I'll keep my sociological observations to myself.

rarely have I ever had to defend myself with a weapon.
Lots-a times with hands and feet, though.
One time I'll never forget is being set upon by about 5 kids bigger than me in a mall parking lot.
I'd had an "altercation" with one of their "bunch", and they didn't like the fact that I came out on top.
So I did what anyone should do..... I improvised. With a car antenna.
Swing one of the old style metal antennas with serious intent, and people will bleed.
I haven't had to use a gun.

rarely have I ever had to defend myself with a weapon.
Lots-a times with hands and feet, though.
One time I'll never forget is being set upon by about 5 kids bigger than me in a mall parking lot.
I'd had an "altercation" with one of their "bunch", and they didn't like the fact that I came out on top.
So I did what anyone should do..... I improvised. With a car antenna.
Swing one of the old style metal antennas with serious intent, and people will bleed.
I haven't had to use a gun.

Wow, great story! Classic.

You know, I'd imagine that would sting, but would you consider a collapsible baton? You've obviously got the prerequisites covered.

Last month, my coworker was badly beaten in NE while walking home from work at 2:30am. Three young men jumped him from behind, severely beat him and took his wallet with less than $20 in it. Police found one of the suspects, who was later I.D.'d by my coworker, running down a NE Portland street.

My coworker said he never saw them coming. He's recovering with a new titanium jaw.

Wow, great story! Classic.

You know, I'd imagine that would sting, but would you consider a collapsible baton? You've obviously got the prerequisites covered.

At the time, I believe I would have gotten in serious trouble for carrying any sort of weapon. I was 15 or so at the time.
the "assault" charges were dropped when the full story came out, not by the cops, but by other kid's parents.
And old antenna does alot more than sting. and it's FAST.:s0155:
Oh yeah... I broke a guys arm somewhere around his elbow once, too, and The only reason I didn't get in trouble for that was a subway cop saw him trying to pick my pocket.
Apparently the way I grabbed his arm and twisted, with a short jab was enough to make something snap. :shrug:
To date I've been pretty lucky with that stuff. I don't want to push it. the last couple "things" I've had (years gone now), my gun never came out.
I did get kicked in my gun once, when I still had my P89. THAT was funnnnnaay!

Unfortunately, I've been in four different altercations where I have felt threatened to the point that I have drawn my firearm and pointed it at another person with the intention of defending my life. Fortunately, it has never gone beyond that.

I guess me saying I'm almost glad I didn't have it is due to the fact that I was able to, no pun intended, disarm the situation without anyone getting hurt. By all means, if I am in another situation where someone has a gun pointed at me and I have my gun, I will be defending myself with all necessary force. It did open my eyes to how situations can be talked down though, but then again, you are probably right about a huge confidence booster for the punk and who is to say next time he won't be so hesitant to use the gun.

I was in Parkland.

I take it your talking Paradise bowl??? did these happen recently? just asking cause its local for me... and I've been noticing alot a tagging going on locally . the neighborhood watch group has talked to the popo but they are no real help...

28 November, 2008, 2 a.m.

My wife, 3 kids (all under the age of 9) and myself upstairs in our house. Noises heard in front entry downstairs- discover a mentally disturbed man at bottom of stairs holding a knife and suffering from delusions--tense stand-off for about 5mins with my weapon aimed at center mass at about 15+ feet-- able to talk the subject "down" and get him to drop the knife-- ONLY then were we able to call 911 because the cordless phone was downstairs (I'll NEVER let that happen again). Fortunately no one was injured and my kids somehow managed to not wake up even with all the yelling going on. That, could have complicated things.

Mind you all, I have had to "draw down" on suspects several times in my previous line of work and those situations never affected me as much as it did being in my own house, standing between danger and my children.

He was not going to get up those damn stairs.

Sometimes the best way to defend yourself is to move away from the danger and call the cops. Especially if carrying. Sometimes the best way we can defend ourselves is to remove ourselves from a situation that might escalate into one where we have to brandish our weapons.

This is an event that I had happen to me awhile back in DT PDX> I will repost it as I initially wrote it.

"If anyone in Portland saw the story on the news this morning about the guy with the machete in the 3rd and Stark area of downtown PDX last night (in front of Cameron's Books) I was the one that kind of caused the scene.

Last night was "Thirst Thursday" at a local club. It is the one night a week we actually go out. We like to go out and contribute the the college fund of some drag queens and fine young people dancing on tables. ;)

As we where leaving last night I noticed a small but kind of rowdy crowd of homeless kids on the corner. I told my partner to get on the other side of me and then proceeded to cross the street before reaching the corner. I like to avoid potential bad situations.

Once we were to the other side of the street I noticed a couple of people leaving a club next door running across the street quite frantically and noticed the crowd on the corner getting much louder and backing away. At that point I noticed a rather insane looking guy wielding one of those curved machetes. He was screaming at everyone and displaying the knife. I asked one of the guys that was running away what was happening and he said the guy had asked for money and then threatened them with a knife when they said "no" and is now threatening the kids.

I pulled out my phone, dialed 911, and then walked into the intersection and yelled at the guy and told him I was calling 911 so he better beat it. At this point he turned away from the crowd and faced me. I had sent my parnter to the other side of the street to our car. He did not approach me and just stood there yelling obscenities and waving the knife.

At that point 911 answered. I told them what was happening and they told me they were sending units immediately and asked if I could stay on the line and keep the guy in my sight. I said I could do that. The dispatcher said "if you start to fear for your safety leave the scene but it would help if you could point him out when officers arrive." I then told him I was not afraid and that I was "capable of defending myself if he presented an immediate danger to me or my partner." The dispatcher then said "Good, keep alert and keep an eye on him. Officers should be arriving. Try to keep him focused on you and from harming anyone" He then asked me if the guy seemed mentally ill or did he seem intoxicated. I kind of let my smart side slip a bit and said "Why, does one make the knife less deadly than the other?" The dispatcher said "Good point. I should say is he acting aggressive or just erratic?" I said a lot of both.

At this point patrol cars started coming into view. In fact like seven or eight of them came from every direction. At this time the man had placed his knife inside a guitar case he was carrying and was attempting to leave the scene. I walked over behind him and followed him. I then gave a description of myself to the dispatcher and he relayed it to the patrol cars. We got about half a block away and I was able to waive down the approaching officers. I told the guy on the phone they were here and they see him and I was hanging up now. He thanked me and said he would call me back in 5 minutes.

Then all heck broke loose. About 20 officers stormed the scene with tasers and bean bag guns drawn...and a few Glocks too. I had both hands in the air pointing to the guy (thought it better to be as visible as possible than to keep my hand on my weapon in my pocket) and started backing away and crossing the street.

Then the people that he had threatened earlier came running across a parking lot and were screaming to police that this was the guy that threatened them.

I walked past one of the officers and said "You guys have my number. I am getting out of the way." He said "Cool, dude." Yes, he actually said "dude" :D I then went and got in my car and worked my way out of the area. As I was leaving I could see them searching his duffle and guitar case.

As we were driving across the I-205 bridge I got a call back from the police saying that they got the guy and that there were witnesses on scene filling out reports so they would probably not need me.

All in all it was another exciting evening in the big city...even though the whole thing lasted less than five minutes. It was a warm night so I was lightly dressed (jeans, birkenstocks, t-shirt and a light nylon type athletic jacket) and did not have a large gun on me but I was very glad that I had my Rohrbaugh on my belt. Which I had removed from it's holster and kept in my hand inside my front jacket pocket during the entire event. if I had thought I should have taken the mace from the car but I was pretty much decided that I was not going to mess with mace if he had tried to injure me or someone else with the machete. I left the mace and the S&W m637 in the car with my partner at the car."

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads