JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is another one that is more relevant to our conversation...

Facebook boast leads to arrest of Staten Island man, cops say | SILive.com

Neither of those cases are anywhere near relevant to the conversation. Both of those cases involve an active crime where the internet was used as evidence. Not crimes that were investigated because of claims made on the internet. The first case is an actual crime in itself (threatening an officer) and the second is a case of where a 911 call revealed and actual crime and while being investigated evidence was found on a website. Still, the first case required a warrant to obtain the information about the poster. If no active crime was being investigated that warrant would not have been obtained.

nobody is saying or believing the internet is anonymous- quite trying to make your oppositions argument look more extreme than it actually is.

but it's a **** of a lot harder to get information than some people would have you believe.

I disagree, in fact I would go 180 degrees from your statement and say it's easy to find information.

Without using mod controls or social engineering, simply using Goggle, I found out your first and last name, your line of work, your name and address of your business all in about 2 mins. From there the rest would be a cake walk.

I'm not going to bother but if I were to I would check the state for bonds, business licenses, and possibly LLC's for the jackpot. All of this is online info.

I disagree, in fact I would go 180 degrees from your statement and say it's easy to find information.

Without using mod controls or social engineering, simply using Goggle, I found out your first and last name, your line of work, your name and address of your business all in about 2 mins. From there the rest would be a cake walk.

I'm not going to bother but if I were to I would check the state for bonds, business licenses, and possibly LLC's for the jackpot. All of this is online info.

only because i make it blatantly easy to do so. if i logged out, signed up for a new account with a totally un-connected user name, you'd have nothing but an alternating IP to go on.

since i don't make a habit of committing crimes, nor telling about them, i make zero effort to maintain any anonymity.

only because i make it blatantly easy to do so. if i logged out, signed up for a new account with a totally un-connected user name, you'd have nothing but an alternating IP to go on.

I have caught sock puppets without matching up IP address's here in the past, IP's are not the only tool, just the easiest tool. This is not a public tool it is a mod tool so isn't really relevant for this discussion anyway, I used no IP's or inside info to gain your info.

since i don't make a habit of committing crimes, nor telling about them, i make zero effort to maintain any anonymity.

Yes you are correct, but, there is always that but, just about everyone is as you say blatantly easy to track on the net.

There are many techniques to remain autonomous though few use them.

BTW most ISP's will give up the info without a court order which then brings social engineering into play. Proxy's are good but they won't stop the Feds from tracking you down that much is sure.

I have caught sock puppets without matching up IP address's here in the past, IP's are not the only tool, just the easiest tool. This is not a public tool it is a mod tool so isn't really relevant for this discussion anyway, I used no IP's or inside info to gain your info.

Yes you are correct, but, there is always that but, just about everyone is as you say blatantly easy to track on the net.

There are many techniques to remain autonomous though few use them.

BTW most ISP's will give up the info without a court order which then brings social engineering into play. Proxy's are good but they won't stop the Feds from tracking you down that much is sure.

Get those pesky sock puppets.

In a former career I was a PI. In our agency I pioneered social media/forum/web search result data collation for the purpose of identifying potential defendants in RIAA lawsuits. It's like an algebra equation: give us one end of the puzzle, we'll find the other. I'm not even talking about criminal prosecution: heard about some of these poor lost souls getting sued for tens of thousands of dollars by record companies? I'm the one that tracked a bunch of them down with a history of their filesharing and an "anonymous" username, no subpoenas to the service providers necessary, thank you. ****, I found a guy living "off the grid" on a boat for a debt collection agency using his "Above Top Secret" user handle and posts, and another seasoned evader with multiple civil suits by using his "anonymous" blog to monitor his movements in near real time.

How can "they" prove you typed that post? You accessed this site using a unique IP address, just as when you created your account and submitted every other post on this and any other site you're on you revealed a unique IP address that is tied to your service provider who knows where you live. If you use an IP anonymizer, you probably haven't used it for every post you've made in your life. If you post from the library, they have your address on file with your account. If you post from an internet cafe and paid with a credit card, the IP you posted from can be linked up using server and credit file records.

But hey, don't worry, I'm probably just another internet crank: the internet really is anonymous, false alarm, nothing to see here, move along.

Go back and read my post a little slower. I never said you couldn't be identified. I even gave the LEO the benefit of the doubt and said that they would find you. I said they won't waste their time because they can't prove the crime. They can't prove the timeline and they can't even prove jurisdiction.

I don't believe I said that prosecution is the only the risk one takes when discussing on the internet crimes or misdeeds they may or may not have committed? My post represents a couple of examples of additional reasons one might question the wisdom of posting information about questionable activities, others might be discovery by investigators conducting background investigations for employment or adoption, lawyers looking for evidence in custody hearings, and insurance-related investigations.

Frankly, my job (I'm no longer a licensed PI, but I'm still in the legal services industry and regularly skip trace accounts) is made much easier by people taking no care in what they post when they believe themselves to be anonymous.

In a former career I was a PI. In our agency I pioneered social media/forum/web search result data collation for the purpose of identifying potential defendants in RIAA lawsuits. It's like an algebra equation: give us one end of the puzzle, we'll find the other. I'm not even talking about criminal prosecution: heard about some of these poor lost souls getting sued for tens of thousands of dollars by record companies? I'm the one that tracked a bunch of them down with a history of their filesharing and an "anonymous" username, no subpoenas to the service providers necessary, thank you. ****, I found a guy living "off the grid" on a boat for a debt collection agency using his "Above Top Secret" user handle and posts, and another seasoned evader with multiple civil suits by using his "anonymous" blog to monitor his movements in near real time.

How can "they" prove you typed that post? You accessed this site using a unique IP address, just as when you created your account and submitted every other post on this and any other site you're on you revealed a unique IP address that is tied to your service provider who knows where you live. If you use an IP anonymizer, you probably haven't used it for every post you've made in your life. If you post from the library, they have your address on file with your account. If you post from an internet cafe and paid with a credit card, the IP you posted from can be linked up using server and credit file records.

But hey, don't worry, I'm probably just another internet crank: the internet really is anonymous, false alarm, nothing to see here, move along.

Thanks for the laughs, kiddo. :s0155:

Thanks for the laughs, kiddo. :s0155:

work.4506412.1.fig,white,mens,fbfbfb.han-solo-star-wars-laugh-it-up-fuzzball-v3.jpg

:s0112:

I don't know if they carry the weight of "the law," but I shrug and stroll past front door signs proclaiming that firearms are verboten inside certain restaurants, stores and malls. Concealed means concealed, and what's under my jacket is none of their damn business.

Buuuut... that leaves open the choice of whether to spend money in such a place of business - or not. Perfect justification (if some guys need any) to frequent Hooters instead of Buffalo Wild Wings where I'm told they endorse a blanket "no guns allowed" policy at all locations. And now Arby's is buying them. The horrrror!

The deeper question beyond how the individual owners of such companies vote, would be what sort of monetary contributions they make to fund the progressively relentless erosion of your rights by the local enemy (Brown, Burdick, Prozanski, et al), and their puppet-masters in DC.

I've actually got into an exchange with an officer over this one.
I drive past a school on my way to work. One day I got pulled over for having a brake light out. After running my info he "informed" me that carrying a firearm so close to a school was illegal and that I should find a new route to drive to work.

Needless to say, I still drive to work the same way.
That's the dumbest thing I have heard lol DRIVEING close to a school with a gun is illegal LOL I LIVE ACROSS THE STREET FROM A SCHOOL is it illegal for me to own a gun HEHEH or 20 guns

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top