JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have you ever found yourself guilty of breaking the law with your carry firearm?

I ask this because we so often see people that do and get caught and then we say "Too bad for them. They should have been more careful."

I know I have been guilty of a couple slips. Just the other day I took my son's jacket to him at school and forgot to remove my EDC. I walked the halls of the school armed by mistake. Luckily I carried concealed so nobody noticed.

The most notable case of such a slip was a couple weeks ago when I went to change my address on my carry permit. I walked into the sheriff's office to drop off the form and when i went up to the officer at the desk I remembered I still had my EDC on my hip. I said to the officer..."Crap...I have to run back outside. I will be right back." The officer immediately said to me "Forget to leave your gun in the car?" I almost panicked but said that was indeed the issue. Much to my relief she then said "I thought so. Happens all the time. I will be here when you get back." That could have gone a whole lot worse.

You do not have to post your answer here, especially you more paranoid types, but it is something to think about the next time someone does something we deem as stupid. :)

From what I've read If you have your CHL, carrying in a public school is legal in Oregon.

& yes I'm "guilty", I carried into the post office again today.:s0131:

Yes, it is legal in Oregon to carry in schools. They "frown" on it, but it's legal.

I've actually got into an exchange with an officer over this one.
I drive past a school on my way to work. One day I got pulled over for having a brake light out. After running my info he "informed" me that carrying a firearm so close to a school was illegal and that I should find a new route to drive to work.

Needless to say, I still drive to work the same way.

I believe PBP lives in WA now. I don't know the rules there on carrying in schools. Anyone want to chime in on that?

That being said, the last time I went to renew my OR CHL I went to the Washington Co Jail. For background, the time before that I renewed my permit the jail building was open, but jail itself had not become operational yet. At that time, they had a table just inside the entrance, some lockers, and a WA Co deputy there to store any weapons for people who were there to renew their CHL's.

Fast forward. The last time I went to renew, they had changed the entrance and the deputy and lockers were no longer there (that should have been my clue). There was a desk with a very nice older lady there directing people where they needed to go. I told her I was there to renew my CHL. She directed me upstairs to the appropriate office and I then asked her where I could check my weapon. She got this OH CHIT look on her face and said, you can't have that in here, they will arrest you. You see, at that time the jail had become operational. I didn't even think about it going in. Fortunately she didn't freak out. I went back to the parking garage across the street, locked my pistol in the truck, and went back and renewed my CHL.

In WA it is ILLEGAL to carry IN the school but not illegal to have guns on or near school property.

RCW 9.41.280: Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities ? Penalty ? Exceptions.

Not sure why it is illegal to carry in the Sheriff's office either. It is not a restricted area according to the law, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300 If they do restrict your carry they are required to provide a place for you to secure your firearm.

It is not illegal to carry in the Post Office either, Question about concealed carry in a Post Office | Robert Louis Williamson's Weblog

My biggest carry where not allowed is when I order take out. Most places you have to pick up at the bar which in WA is a "restricted area". I am not taking my gun off to pick up food.........

I fly myself around the region on business and personal vacations. The section of the airport I keep my plane on is accessed by a card lock gate that only owners and employees can pass through. I inquired about carrying on the airport property for the sole purpose of getting to my hangar and was told. "We didn't have this conversation" Accompanied by a big grin. So of course I quit carrying my weapon onto the airport after that time.:D

In Oregon, the law changed or the application of the law changed a few years ago. It is legal to carry at the airport in general areas, just not beyond the security checkpoints.

Thanks for posting this Nwcid. Interesting point.

Its not just a thought, it is a fact.

If guns were illegal in the PO you could not ship them and LEO's could not carry in there, ect. No one thinks twice about that even though there is a sign, but people freak out to carry there........

Like many things they ONLY post the first PART of the law and the # to the law. You have to look up the # to the law to see the WHOLE law.

Like in WA you see the signs in front of the school that say "No Gun" with RCW 9.41.280 printed under that. You have to look up RCW 9.41.280 to see what is actually legal and illegal.

When I was 6 or 7 I got caught shooting quail between log decks with my 410 at the sawmill across the street.Back then the cop just scared me to death,and I never went quail hunting at the mill again.Just cat fishing and bullfrogging in the mill pond!

Funny this should come up. I normally wear cargo pants with my wallet in my front right leg pocket. I happen to wear blue jeans today and had to go to the Drive through ATM. Tossed my wallet on the passenger seat. Went to dinner (paid cash) carrying. Got back to my car and saw my wallet on the front seat. Oops. Technically I was in violation. I was wondering if I had been stopped at dinner if the officer would have allowed me to go get my wallet from the car 150' away.

I really struggle with the school thing in WA. My kids have performances or games regularly. I want to comply but I will not allow my family to be sitting ducks in a crowded gym...

What are people in the post office gonna do if a gunman walks in? throw mail at them? no thank you.. I will take my chance, plus its a CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT that should pretty much settle it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top