JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Ever considered putting in a fallout shelter?

• Yes, already have one.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Yes, but don't have one yet.

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Nope.

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • I think radiation would give me super powers.

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters
With Cold War 2.0 on, have you considered putting in a fallout shelter? What type and why?

(I've kicked it around on and off. Most of the places I've lived isn't worth an a-bomb though, so it hasn't been a high priority. Our present home does not have a basement, so it would have to be separate from the house.)

I think with the internet so prevalent. A lot of folks know the signs of an underground shelter these days. With that, unless it's a multimillion dollar setup that covers everything possible, I'd rather die above ground than get stuck in a tube underground and possibly die there. Or live there in a cramped tiny place for? I like living in all, but the thought of some of those shelters for more than a few days just isn't for me.

I say this now...

With Cold War 2.0 on, have you considered putting in a fallout shelter? What type and why?

(I've kicked it around on and off. Most of the places I've lived isn't worth an a-bomb though, so it hasn't been a high priority. Our present home does not have a basement, so it would have to be separate from the house.)
You'd probably be wasting you time. Most projections (you can Google nuclear fallout map to get an idea) indicate that SW Oregon would be fallout free, due to the lack of strategic targets to the west and prevailing wind patterns. Of course, there's always the chance of an errant or malfunctioning missile hitting somewhere it's not supposed to...

You'd probably be wasting you time. Most projections (you can Google nuclear fallout map to get an idea) indicate that SW Oregon would be fallout free, due to the lack of strategic targets to the west and prevailing wind patterns. Of course, there's always the chance of an errant or malfunctioning missile hitting somewhere it's not supposed to...

But at least you have a cave.

I think with the internet so prevalent. A lot of folks know the signs of an underground shelter these days.
Presumably, in a nuclear situation, anyone not in a shelter will die of radiation sickness, so roaming marauders discovering your shelter might not be a consideration. I think the greater danger would be from your neighbors trying to get in before an attack (if there is advance warning and they know you've got one) ala the old "Twilight Zone" episode on the subject.

If you are in the blast zone a fallout shelter will not save you, so there are a couple of considerations here. First, are you far enough from a target to survive blast and fireball effects (dependent on the size of the nuclear device), and second, will winds bring fallout in your direction.

I'd rather die above ground than get stuck in a tube underground and possibly die there. Or live there in a cramped tiny place for? I like living in all, but the thought of some of those shelters for more than a few days just isn't for me.
Government guidelines (yes, you can find government brochures on the topic on the web) say you will only be living in the shelter full time for 2 weeks, due to the half-life of radioactive materials. After that you will only be sleeping in the shelter to reduce exposure levels.

feature-airintakepipes.jpg These are what I'd be looking for if I was outside roaming around.

I you are inside and think this is good enough?

These are what I'd be looking for if I was outside roaming around.

I you are inside and think this is good enough?
The point I was trying to make, and perhaps I didn't express it very well, is that after an attack, nobody is going to be outside roaming around, at least for very long. Either you are in a shelter or you are dead.

Now, if it's some kind of situation other than a nuclear attack, that's a different story.

I'm no doctor but last I checked there were levels of radiation poisoning and levels of tolerance. I don't think the moment a piece of fallout lands on your cheek you just fall dead.

I believe many will be out and about fleeing on foot in the direction away from the fallout, if the systems collapse.

I believe many will be out and about fleeing on foot in the direction away from the fallout, if the systems collapse.
Well, that's possible. But having a shelter doesn't necessarily mean a metal tube in the back yard with pipes sticking above ground. A person could construct an adequate shelter in a basement room without the need for external signs.

I haven't done this so don't come to my house looking for shelter.;) I'm too old to survive a general systemic collapse for long anyway. That's going to be a game for young people.

Well, that's possible. But having a shelter doesn't necessarily mean a metal tube in the back yard with pipes sticking above ground. A person could construct an adequate shelter in a basement room without the need for external signs.

I haven't done this so don't come to my house looking for shelter.;) I'm too old to survive a general systemic collapse for long anyway. That's going to be a game for young people.
That's the thing. Any person with half a brain living in the high density areas will know older homes tend to have basements.

Not that basements make great fallout shelters, but it will get you more time alive than a true shelter would.

Depending on how close you are to the blast, you could need up to 5-20 feet of dirt between you and the outside contaminated fallout. Particulates will be in the air and may not settle for upwards of years. Without filtration, a basement is only prolonging the inevitable in my opinion. Yet, that time may be worth fighting to get into a basement over.

Hard to say, all is speculation at this point really.

Also note, we are even worse off at the fact it rains all the time. Which means even if you are under a good amount of dirt, the water finds a way to go deeper.

Settlement rates are irrelevant. It's radioactive half-life that counts.
True, stuff will be radioactive for a bit, to say the least.

I was just expressing the rate of which exposure could take place, as well as quantities if applicable.

Seems most of the fallout maps show I'm out of the danger zones, I think a radiation suit would be more cost effective than building a bunker, and possibly make my corpse easier for any survivors to find.....
......Be they Mutants or Zombies :eek:

Last Edited:
This is a great little book that was given to me by a former Army Officer that acquired it during the early 1960's.

My favorite part of the book is the fallout danger area after a nuclear war.

Apparently Oregon was pretty safe in 1963 and I think the same applies today.

So I think you can continue enjoying the sunshine and put that fallout shelter money towards another project.

IMG_2998.jpg
IMG_2999.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews