JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Ever considered putting in a fallout shelter?

• Yes, already have one.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Yes, but don't have one yet.

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Nope.

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • I think radiation would give me super powers.

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters
1567378562629.jpeg
Lol. Don't spread this. Don't need anymore people.

Apparently Oregon was pretty safe in 1963 and I think the same applies today.
Those old '60s maps were based on presumed Soviet targeting data. Things may have changed since then. Different adversaries, different priorities. Also, 90% of the US's titanium is made in Albany. I would think that might be an important target these days.

A good Mask and NBC system would take you a lot farther then staying in place! The idea is to get some place safe, not to wait it out until the red levels drop to safe levels!
I'm more concerned with a Biological or Chem event then a Nuke one, and that really changes things!
Keep in mind, any one launching an attack on us isn't going to want to make it uninhabitable to them, they are going to want to kill off as many of us as they can before moving into our area and taking over management! They don't wanna have to deal with the fall out and contaminated bodies any more then we do, so it will likely be a bio or chem attack!

Those old '60s maps were based on presumed Soviet targeting data. Things may have changed since then. Different adversaries, different priorities. Also, 90% of the US's titanium is made in Albany. I would think that might be an important target these days.

I'd agree with you. We do live in different times.

However I've found that half of Oregon doesn't even know where Albany is...And half the country doesn't know anything about Oregon...so I think we have an advantage.

Much less worried about being nuked than 'Carrying Capacity'. The former is a chance, the latter is happening now and it less likely that there won't be a major die off than it is likely that we would have a nuclear war where the USA would be involved.

That said, there is a chance that when the die off approaches or during the die off chaos, that there could be nukes deployed overseas (Iran/Israel, India/Pakistan/China - maybe Russia, Korea) and we could get some fallout that goes around the world. In which case, the western US would get it first before the rest of the US.

Either way, when I retire, the plan is to buy land and build on it. Whatever I and/or my children build will be earth bermed. The walls will hopefully be reinforced. I would like to have a 'safe room' in each building, with hidden ventilation (thinking 'earth tubes') and filters on each end.

When JFK and Khrushchev were rattling sabers over Cuba, my family had the empty concrete space beneath our garage hollowed out, a floor poured in and a flimsy wooden door installed. I was young and had only recently figured out that Pearl Harbor wasn't that shipyard on the Willamette River in Portland. I still remember hearing the air raid siren drills over on SW 32nd and Texas. Mournful and eerie for a kid.

I think we'd already realized this concrete room would be zero protection against airborne radiation, gamma rays and such, even as it was built. So instead, anything we didn't know what to do with went into "The Bomb Shelter." Actually, we did store canned goods, camp stoves/lanterns and gallons of drinking water in there for decades, for other possible disasters. Maybe the Columbus day storm was part of the original impetus for digging that hole too.

Radiation and EMP fears aside, the minimal supplies we stored in that room helped establish my lifelong habit of keeping a couple weeks of basic survival stuff handy.

Last Edited:
If you live near a major metropolis you are a target. If you see a plane fly overhead and see something fall from it, I am going to run and try and catch it! I'd rather be at ground zero than 50 miles out.

Barring that, storage containers! Cheap at auctions. I would get 2 and bury them side by side. Cut a walk way between the two, then weld a barrier around the doorway. Seal it tight. Air tight. Then you have easy access between the two containers. Pull electric power. Set a power box ~50-100 away from it. So you can connect a generator to the box, to run power to you containers. Air vents run out away, about ~30-50 away. Air intake at one end, and exhaust duct at the other.

Heck yeah I've thought about it. Too bad my yard isn't big enough for my thoughts/dreams.

I'd do it if you could.

I've been Googling and YouTubing the living heck out of bunkers to build myself a "man cave" above anything else. I have a wife and a 14 yeard old daughter so the estrogen levels reach thermonuclear on a regular basis in my household. I have my reloading bench in the garage BUT a below grade room/shelter that is detached from the hormonal world war happening within my homestead would be a very welcomed addition in my sanity.

Nope.
I'm just going to sit on my deck and watch the big flash.
At my age living in a world left behind by man made chaos
holds no attraction.
You guys with hair on your eyeballs and enough testosterone
to feed an army can be the heroes.

Barring that, storage containers! Cheap at auctions. I would get 2 and bury them side by side. Cut a walk way between the two, then weld a barrier around the doorway. Seal it tight. Air tight. Then you have easy access between the two containers. Pull electric power. Set a power box ~50-100 away from it. So you can connect a generator to the box, to run power to you containers. Air vents run out away, about ~30-50 away. Air intake at one end, and exhaust duct at the other.
Hate to rain on your parade, but if you are talking about shipping containers, it's a very bad idea to bury them. They are only designed to support weight at the corners. The top and sides cannot support the weight of soil, and if buried they will buckle and collapse without significant reinforcement. There are numerous references on the web about this.

Hate to rain on your parade, but if you are talking about shipping containers, it's a very bad idea to bury them. They are only designed to support weight at the corners. The top and sides cannot support the weight of soil, and if buried they will buckle and collapse without significant reinforcement. There are numerous references on the web about this.

Dang it! I had the perfect idea (in my head). Looks like I'll have to do a little "research" before building my "safe place". :)

This is a great little book that was given to me by a former Army Officer that acquired it during the early 1960's.

My favorite part of the book is the fallout danger area after a nuclear war.

So I think you can continue enjoying the sunshine and put that fallout shelter money towards another project.

View attachment 613524
View attachment 613525
I think this booklet was written by the Oregon Realtors Association.

When I was a kid those signs were common all over, saying the building has one. Normally it was in the basement. School we did the prepare crap. Even as a kid who paid little attention I thought this is stupid. They had shown us some film of what a crude nuc did. Told us about what happened after with the fall out. So all I could think of was WTF good is hiding under my damn desk and staying away from the windows going to do? Not to mention if I could get to one of the buildings with the shelter what good would that do? They told us fallout would live longer than we would so we would have to soon come out of the damn shelter and die slow and painful death.

Dont forget your iodine tablets!

90% of the radiation you take into your body will attach itself to the iodine in your body. When you bring in New Iodine, you flush out Old Radioactive Iodine.

If I was more knowledgable, I could tell you when to take it and what dosage....but it has been too many years. Maybe someone else has that info.

This is a great little book that was given to me by a former Army Officer that acquired it during the early 1960's.

My favorite part of the book is the fallout danger area after a nuclear war.

So I think you can continue enjoying the sunshine and put that fallout shelter money towards another project.

View attachment 613524
View attachment 613525

Assuming this is still reasonably accurate, nada to a fallout shelter. There may not be much to survive for here in the Western side of WA State.

As an aside, I believe Russia still has the Jim Creek Naval Radio Station listed as a first-strike target. The facility is located near Oso, WA, and North of greater Seattle.

Two Pictures:
I assume architects study existing iconic buildings worldwide whenever they design a new one. Thus, I've wondered for decades whenever I drive the Banfield Freeway (there's a throwback for you long-timers) if this first building near Lloyd Center is some sort of nod to the second one below in Hiroshima.

lloyd center bldg.jpg

HR20.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews