JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1967 - Out fishing with 3 of my brothers. A rabid skunk attacked us, foaming madly and biting our leather boots. A brother kicked it back a few feet and a 12 gauge fine shot put it down.

1968 - Heading back from fishing with 1 brother when a large black bear approaches. We're in the middle of thick black berry brush and can't run. He stands up 3-4 feet away and lets out a loud roar. I tip my single shot 12 ga. up and blast a patch of fur off of his chest. He flops back and runs, swatting trees as he goes. Pretty scary for a couple of kids.

1970 - I shoot a nice 6 point whitetail buck. My brother and I have just finished dressing it and ready to start dragging it out. Approached by two older men who threaten to kill us both if we don't give our deer to them. My brother and I have more guts than brains and both of us point our lever actions, one at each man. Tell them if they move, we fire. The standoff lasts 15 minutes or so, when another brother shows up and the men sheepishly back down and ask to leave. We watch em go, ready to fight if necessary.

1979 - On my first trip to a city (Detroit) I walk into a rest stop restroom and encounter 4 black fellas beating up an older white man who was on the toddy. Two of the black fellas pulled knives as they turned to me, I pulled a Colt 1911 and they backed off. I waited for the old man to leave and then left in a hurry.

1981 - Out with my wife on a dump bear date when a city fella gets in trouble. While handing out candy bars to bears, a big bruin grabs him up to the arm and starts to drag him back into the dump. My wife tells me to do something, but I figure the man has just asked for trouble. She persists and I get out and fire a couple of shots into the dirt. The bear lets go and the man goes to the hospital. That was a 444 Marlin with 265 gr. handloads.

1987 - Killed a black bear that was breaking into a camper. A little girl was in the camper screeming. Her parents were outside yelling at the bear. I suspect the bear was looking for food, but it didn't back away when I fired two shots into the ground. The third shot took the bear down. Mom and Dad and little girl were very shaken up but ok otherwise. They packed up and left the campsite afterwards.

Haven't had to point or fire a weapon since, though I always have one handy just in case.

As mentioned above "no comment" x4 would be appropriate. On another note, A friend was sent home from his tour in Germany a month early and decided to surprise his wife by not telling her. He came home late on a summer night and heard a scream from the upstairs bedroom - grabbed his gun on the way up and found what he thought was 2 guys raping his wife. One grabbed a knife and started to come at him so he dropped that guy with 3 quick shots the other guy jumped out the window. Turns out that his now EX-wife was cheating on him with the guys while he was away. He lucked out and was not prosecuted as the DA considered it a crime of passion. Two years later we were playing pool upstairs at a bar and the other guy happens to be there - came at him with a pool cue, which he ducked, drove a shoulder into the guys gut knocking him up and over the railing falling to the dance floor below. lucky for him the same cop showed up that was at his shoot.

That story is messed up. Poor Dude! (your friend, not the two d-bags that were tag teaming his wife.)

No - I would agree anyone who has probably does not talk alot about it.
But have been in a situation where I was glad I was carrying, At least I did not feel helpless.

Good point. One I had not thought about when I asked the question. Still some interesting stories from those that will tell them.

had to pull a piece 6 times and my gal twice.. may post it up here when I am in the mood. And many of us who have had to pull a piece will talk about it, if for no other reason than that one of you may benefit in your time of need from the info. I am only posting this because I was packing. Guns save innocent lives

Off duty military investigator, coming out of Pep Boys or Auto Zone in Chula Vista at night in 86. A couple d-bag thieves from my command recognized me and followed me to my truck behind the building. They seemed a little extra assertive in civvies, "What's up? What's up? What's up?" and sort of hemmed me in between vehicles where I didn't have time to unlock, mount up and drive away. So I asked them if they'd ever seen a Gold Cup before and produced it from under my hawaiian shirt. Didn't even point it or come off safe. They realized it was late, time to get going. So I said, "Hey, see you guys at work!" That would've been a bad assbeating for sure, which would've boosted their status significantly among their thug buddies. My hands were shaking so bad I had trouble using my key.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top