JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's your story? I'm not interested in "line of duty" stories from LEO's or military, but stories from those in "civilian" life that have actually used a forearm to defend their home or person(s) from attacks, real or potential. Doesn't matter if it (the firearm) was actually fired.

What kind of firearm? What happened? Details? Final outcome?

When I was 12.
Guy broke into the house late one light armed with small pistol of some sorts (mouse gun). Baby sitter freaked out. He made a bunch of threats, and guess didnt think much of the 12 year old until I had a 12ga to his head, told him "mines bigger, you better leave now." And he did in a hurry. Nothing taken, nothing broken. Police came and did a quick investigation, but I do not think he was ever caught.

No one hurt. guess I should have held him there till police came, but hey I was only 12 so not a whole lot of experience or foresight, just was happy to have him out of my house. Pretty sure after all was said and done that the baby sitter knew the guy, but not for sure. Got a new sitter anyway.

when i was 10 years old, my mom's then time POS boyfriend was beating up on her. i became tired of it, ran to the garage, grabbed his SKS, loaded a few rounds into it, ran back, yelled at him to leave her alone, and pointed it right at his head. he pissed and shat himself right there. my mom then got up, dialed 911, the cops came, and she sided with HIM over the matter.

long story short: i didn't leave the house in handcuffs. the woman beating bastard did. all of his firearms were confiscated and never returned.

Never had to pull the trigger and all three times it was actually either a family member or family friend trying to be cute.

First was when I was 17, baby sitting little sister, 10pm late Summer just after dark. Watching TV all of a sudden there was screaming and banging on the front door. (we lived in the country down a 50 yard driveway no one ever just walked up to the house) There was screaming threats. I grabbed my little sis threw her in her bedroom told her to lock the door. Went into Mom and Dads bedroom reached under the bed grabbed the M1 Carbine kept there. Reached in dads top dresser drawer grabbed a loaded mag. Put the mag in the carbine and racked the slide.

The screaming and pounding on the door was still going on. Sounded like someone was trying to kick it in.

I ran to the Kitchen window next to the front door as I knew it afforded a brick wall up to my chest hieght and had a screen section on both ends that would allow me to shoot )if need be without breaking the window). The slider was already open (late August HOT OUT) and I poked the barrel of the carbine through the screen pointing it at the guy trying to kick in the front door.

At that moment all of Dads years of deer hunting training kicked in and I knew I had to ID my target, and the backstop before I pulled the trigger. (with dads training it was SEX, RACK, BACKSTOP, LEGAL SHOT.)

It was at this point the door kicker noticed me and screamed MARK ITS ME KENNY!!!!!

It was a school buddy who had picked up my younger brothers on their way home from moving irrigation pipe for a neighbor and the three of them thought it would be funny to light me up.

I venture at least kenny never ever tried that stunt again.

Dad was even cool with the nice hole in the window screen and taught me how to rescreen a metal window screen.

#2 Was in about 1985 we were living in a single wide trailer on 1/2 acre of ground right in the middle of what is now the Kiezer Station shopping center. About 2:30am my Cocker Spaniel Freckles went off like an alarm racing down the hallway barking her head off. I rolled out of the waterbed (only way you can get out of the damn things) and grabbed my Star model B 9mm and put a loaded mag in it and racked the slide. Stepped back so that I was out of the doorway and only the right side of my head and right arm was exposed to the hall. I had a clear if dark view of the inside of the front door. Pistol pointed at the door.

Someone was breaking the glass on the side of the door. I saw a head poke through what looked like the wall next to the door. And at that instant the demeaner of Freckles completely changed from Alarm to HEY PET ME. I knew instantly that what ever that head was attached to wasn't a treat.

it turned out to be my brother (yes one of the morons from the above story) who had gotten his dumbass drunk and couldn't find his door keys (he was staying with us at the time) so he thought it would make more sense to break the decoritive glass next to the door then knock and wake us up.

It only cost his $75.00 to replace the glass and about a 2 hour asschewing from the wife who had to get up early for work and wasn't happy.

#3 was here at our house in Silverton. The neighbors were away for 2 weeks on vacation and of course we were asked to keep an eye on the house. The corner of the master bedroom in about 18' from the corner of our living room. It was summer it was hot I was watching TV late maybe 2am with the front door open. I clearly here someone moving around by the neighbors house. NO ONE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE.

I ran to my office grabbed my 870 Wingmaster shoved 2 rounds into the mag and had a couple more in my hand. Grabbed the 3 cell Mag light and quietly walked out my front door and towards the little gate between the two houses (within maybe 10' of where the noise was coming from.

I see someone trying to pry the screen off the window to gain entry to the house. I haven't turned the flashlight on yet as the street lights were enough to navigate. I had the shotgun pointed up to the sky. I then racked the slide.

This as you can imagine resulted in an immediate reaction from the would be burgler. He screamed at the top of his lungs MARK DON'T SHOOT IT'S ME BRIAN!!!!! The Neighbors adult son. Who had been in town drinking and though rather then risk driving back to Salem he would crash at his parents house. OF course he had no key. So thought he could jimmy the window. I understand he still has night sweats once in a while thinking I was going to shoot him! I never even had the shotgun pointed at him.LOL

Again dads deer hunting training came into play.

SO while I have carried since about 1984 and have been in a few places that could have been very dicy I have never had to pull the trigger nor even show the weapon to secure my safety.

I have however been shot at a half dozen times and hit at least 3 times by shotgun pellets at the end of their effective range (hey we were hell on wheels as kids out in the country a few times the neighbor kids took a shot or two at me on my minibike). And I did have a 6mm Remington wizz past my head and hit the pump house behind me when the neighbor kid wanted to show his buddy what his new varmit rifle could do so he shot grandpas pump house from about 500 yards away while I was hanging clothes for my grandmother. They both though it pretty funny the bullet missed me by about 2 ft at 500 yards.

Never actually "used" my carry...but my openly carried pistol did stop a bad situation. Guy was yelling at me that he was going to pound me to a pulp...until he saw I was armed..he left very quickly. May I add, my pistol never left it's holster.

just out of curiosity, what kind of animal was it? a bear or meth monkeys?

A couple of "spanish speaking gentlemen" at a rest area where the cell phone reception was spotty at best. Showed them I was armed by holstering my .45 in full view of the front window and went to the back (41' long motorhome) for the shotgun. When I got back to the front they were GONE!

I think you will find that anyone involved in an actual shooting will be less than willing to discuss the encounter, especially in an open Forum.

The consequences and risk of the encounter do not end when the encounter is over. Anyone that discharges a firearm at another person for any reason is open to court action for years to come, be it criminal or Civil action. It could ruin a person and their family financially, not to mention the emotional toll if they had to take a life.

I have once. Since it wasn't against a human, I don't worry about statute of limitations issues. ;)

East Walker River, near Bridgeport, CA.
Ruger Vaquero
vs. Cougar
Outcome: I'm here, no scars.

Aggressive panhandler in Portland near Pioneer Courthouse Square.
He did not want to take no for an answer and became very aggressive threatens to damage my car and started walking towards me.
I warned him to stop and brushed back my jacket revealing my revolver to him.
He immediately stopped did not say another word and left the area.
If he had not stopped, legally I would have probably had to go hand to hand first. He was taller and on drugs but it could habe been an iffy shoot. Legally, knowing how to fight and control people can be a disadvantage if you have to shoot someone.

As mentioned above "no comment" x4 would be appropriate. On another note, A friend was sent home from his tour in Germany a month early and decided to surprise his wife by not telling her. He came home late on a summer night and heard a scream from the upstairs bedroom - grabbed his gun on the way up and found what he thought was 2 guys raping his wife. One grabbed a knife and started to come at him so he dropped that guy with 3 quick shots the other guy jumped out the window. Turns out that his now EX-wife was cheating on him with the guys while he was away. He lucked out and was not prosecuted as the DA considered it a crime of passion. Two years later we were playing pool upstairs at a bar and the other guy happens to be there - came at him with a pool cue, which he ducked, drove a shoulder into the guys gut knocking him up and over the railing falling to the dance floor below. lucky for him the same cop showed up that was at his shoot.

As mentioned above "no comment" x4 would be appropriate. On another note, A friend was sent home from his tour in Germany a month early and decided to surprise his wife by not telling her. He came home late on a summer night and heard a scream from the upstairs bedroom - grabbed his gun on the way up and found what he thought was 2 guys raping his wife. One grabbed a knife and started to come at him so he dropped that guy with 3 quick shots the other guy jumped out the window. Turns out that his now EX-wife was cheating on him with the guys while he was away. He lucked out and was not prosecuted as the DA considered it a crime of passion. Two years later we were playing pool upstairs at a bar and the other guy happens to be there - came at him with a pool cue, which he ducked, drove a shoulder into the guys gut knocking him up and over the railing falling to the dance floor below. lucky for him the same cop showed up that was at his shoot.

Mental note, don't get married if in the military.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top