JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Feb 2017 Sheriff's News from Washington County Sheriffs office

includes a subject on where you cannot carry a gun. I was surprised to see National Forests and designated Wilderness Areas, if posted or "enacted", as prohibited even with a state issues CHL.

Can anyone validate this? ...and how is one supposed to know at any given time an entire forest or wilderness is prohibited?
you can read the news release here, but scroll down a bit to find it.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs131/1114870388019/archive/1127331728368.html

That is odd, I had thought those regulations were overturned in regards to National Forests/Wildrness.

The only remaining reg is not inside the ranger station, visitors center etc...again though my understanding.

Following.

That is odd, I had thought those regulations were overturned in regards to National Forests/Wildrness.

the only thing close enough I know of that is some misunderstanding or grey area a few years ago regarding Designated Recreation Areas apparently at one time prohibited carry. The state "forester" does not have the authority to regulate firearms on state land (DRA's) was the conclusion IIRC.

another thing about the news letter. Its not illegal to carry on private property, its illegal to remain there if the property owner asks you to leave... (please do not go off topic on property rights)

in the national forest unless you can have your gun... i mean people do when they hunt?

dont carry into a building with federal employees... the post office

Last Edited:
in the national forest unless you can have your gun... i mean people do when they hunt?

dont carry into a building with federal employees... the post office
I do know its illegal to carry into a forest ranger building. Like if you need to buy a map or forest pass... those are federal buildings.

In Oregon you cant have a loaded pistol in the car without a state issued CHL... anywhere in the state, unless it is plainly visible to one outside the car (e.g.: dashboard) or unloaded in a locked container. Oregon Statutes 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - LawServer

For sure, I just meant (assuming I have a CHL) if I drive into the forest do I have to unload my CC?

Where I live the forest is all State land so I don't really have that issue but I do attend cleanups so it would matter at that point.

For sure, I just meant (assuming I have a CHL) if I drive into the forest do I have to unload my CC?

Where I live the forest is all State land so I don't really have that issue but I do attend cleanups so it would matter at that point.

As far as I know, you dont have to do anything different. The article the sheriff posted said it was in posted area or something. Never seen any posted areas in Oregons backcountry...

I think the sheriffs article is out on a limb, until I see the ordinance. Or my guess is it applies in very rare situations like if an area is closed to all entry for something like a forest fire.

As far as I know, you dont have to do anything different. The article the sheriff posted said it was in posted area or something. Never seen any posted areas in Oregons backcountry...

I think the sheriffs article is out on a limb, until I see the ordinance. Or my guess is it applies in very rare situations like if an area is closed to all entry for something like a forest fire.

I haul so much crap when I'm out in the boonies that it would take a determined cop to find a loaded gun in my junk.

That and all the forestry cops I've encountered were just happy to have someone civil and not a tweeker that they are very friendly and have never asked if I had a loaded gun or not;).

Edit:
As far as I am aware though I've never broken any laws.

So now you all got me confused. I don't have a CHL in oregon yet. Working on that one took the class and everything. If I go to portland obviously I can't carry or have one hidden in a locked box. But I can put one in plain view like on the dash or passenger seat correct?

edit: I really need to schedule my appointment with the sheriff's office

So now you all got me confused. I don't have a CHL in oregon yet. Working on that one took the class and everything. If I go to portland obviously I can't carry or have one hidden in a locked box. But I can put one in plain view like on the dash or passenger seat correct?

edit: I really need to schedule my appointment with the sheriff's office
Get it through Washington County, Pat Garrett and his team are great folks...

What about driving on Hwy 26 across Warm Springs Indian Reservation? Is it OK to have a concealed firearm if you have a CHL since you are on a state highway?

I would say it's ok, as it's a state rite of way, plus Indian Wardens do not traffic stop on it AFAIK. However go off highway there, be sure you know who's land your on.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top