JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After a long, lengthy load workup for my Remington 700 SS 5-R Milspec (.308) I think I've found a sweet load.

Last Monday I went to the Range and found as close to perfect conditions that may exist for a day of shooting at 300 yards. Temperature was about 50 degrees, Humidity 60%, and Wind ZERO!

After checking the rifle's zero and "fouling" the barrel at 100 yards I cranked the scope up for 300 yards and started shooting. This "Blind Squirrel" found an acorn at last.

ry%3D400.jpg

Group measures just under 3/4" and it sure looked pretty when I went down range to look at it.

The load is:

44 gr Varget
CCI-BR-2
175 gr. Nosler Custom Competition
Lapua case
2.800 OAL

The rifle is a factory stock rifle although I replaced the X-Mark Pro trigger with a Timney. Chamber is "stock" and a little long but seems to give great accuracy even though the "jump" is over 1/8" (rather than the favored .020" many suggest for this caliber).

All in all it was a Great day at the range and I think I'll keep this load.

no kidding... are you pumping these out consistently?

I've spend most of my time working up loads for 100 yards and just recently started sorting out those that would perform well at longer distances. This was the first REAL session at 300 yards.

This rifle has been fantastic for accuracy, far better than it's owner. Some writers and forum contributors have called it one of the best "out of the box" rifles for accuracy and tha't what encouraged me to spring for the extra bucks.

I have a whole pile of 100 yard targets with "one hole" groups, some of which measured as low as .130" with the average for the good groups being .202"-.240".

I need to find a range that doesn't involve a half day drive where I can shoot beyond the 300 yard range. I'd like to see what the rifle does when shooting at the max ranges for the .308 round.

This is, for me, what makes shooting/reloading fun.

Incredible! That's the target that should be framed! It is a nice group...at 100 yards. At 300 I'm sure you were doing the "Happy Dance" all of he way home!
Congrats.

As a side note, one of the most accurate rifles I had also had a long-ish chamber and a lot of bullet jump. Didn't seem to matter, when fed the right ammo and bullet weight it was a one holer at 100 yards. Like you, I've spent only a little time shooting farther due to the availability of a place to do so.

As a side note, one of the most accurate rifles I had also had a long-ish chamber and a lot of bullet jump.

I've been giving this a lot of thought especially after experimenting with some rounds long enough to drop the jump to as little as .015". Only thing I can think of is that the freebore is somewhat of a stabilizing force causing the bullet to enter the rifling as precisely as possible. May well even have a "centering" effect on the bullet if the round had a little more run out.

As for "framing", that would be great but I've already received "the word from above" that "that won't be put on any wall in this house". Since I've already taken over a complete room for reloading and have somewhat received her blessing, I won't push my luck. If I do, it will probably be back to the cold/hot garage.

BTW: In an hour or so I'm heading out for my weekly range session. Weather forecast is for Rain, Wind, and chilly. I guess I'll have to work harder to try and better last weeks results.

So, not to be Mr. Buzzkill, but I have to ask.

What do 10 round groups look like?

H

Haven't shot any 10 round groups at 300 yards yet with this load. Some 5 round groups today, in about 7mph wind were as small as 1".
Had a lot that had some horizantal spread of 2" but only vertical spread of 1/2" or so. I need to work on my "wind skills".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top