JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TVFR - Chehalem fire

UPDATE 9/14/2020 at 3 p.m.

The fire is 100% contained, and most residents have returned home. Though all Level 3 evacuations have been lifted, residents are encouraged to remain vigilant and prepared to leave if conditions change. Firefighters will continue to mop up hot spots throughout the week.

Residents returning home may notice smoldering stumps and vegetation. Residents are encouraged to:

• Check ground for hot spots.
  • Check roof and landscape for any embers.
  • Check wells or pump-houses to ensure they're in working order.
  • Contact 911 if any active fire is burning or any danger is perceived.
PGE has restored power to the area. If residents experience any power problems, they can report it to PGE by calling 503-464-7777 or going online https://new.portlandgeneral.com/outages.

Air quality remains unhealthy and people are encouraged to remain indoors. To get real time air quality information, visit www.airnow.gov .

E5598C8D-79ED-4694-9CFF-4BB8EC5792E1.jpeg

So,

Is the air you're breathing HAZARDOUS or just VERY UNHEALTHY? (Hint: Portland just about pegs the meter, 458/500 right now)

:s0059::s0047:

Last Edited:
These trains and truck convoys go thru WA all the time - for years. The military moves them around a lot. There is a firing range near Yakima where they practice maneuvers, then there are all the military bases in the Puget Sound area.

THIS is true and they go through many western states. (NOT just ones back on the East Coast, down south or in the midwest.)

Cate

So,

Is the air you're breathing HAZARDOUS or just VERY UNHEALTHY? (Hint: Portland just about pegs the meter, 458/500 right now)

:s0059::s0047:
HAZARDOUS. Been mostly that way since Labor Day, when it hit 839, :eek: when smoke from our north central WA wildfires got blown south and into the Columbia Basin.

It cleared up a bit Tuesday through Thursday last week (below 200 for most of those days) as the winds blew most of the smoke out. But then last Friday, when it had finally dropped below 100 for a short spell in the morning through early afternoon, it started to go all sux0r on us again. The smoke from the Oregon wildfires began to refill the Basin from the west, and by late-afternoon on September 11, it was over 300, and it has not dropped below 300 since then. I gave up keeping track after about noon on Saturday the 12th.

Currently in Kennewick, on Tuesday 9/15 at 0945 hrs, the AQI = 377.

Last Edited:
This is a skillfully written article and I'm sure everything in it is true. However, I submit that if ANTIFA were running around in the woods this guy wouldn't be in a position to know about it. As the article states, he is working the Lionshead fire, which is in more remote country "between Detroit and Warm Springs." Most of the reported problems seem to be in the Oregon City/Estacada/Molalla area. It's kind of like going to the Congo and asking "Have you seen any Eskimos lately?"

In most cases, Insurance companies do not pay out in cases of arson, so fire departments are vary cautious about claiming a fire is arson. With fires everywhere here, insurance fraud is on the insurance company radar. It makes a case for the authorities to not say a lot about that possibility. if the arson caused fire was not targeting a specific property I would assume they can't claim it to be insurance fraud. It's a difficult issue.

On a different note, my home town was just lowered from a level 2 to a level 1. That relieves a lot of stress!

Last Edited:
In most cases, Insurance companies do not pay out in cases of arson, so fire departments are vary cautious about claiming a fire is arson. With fires everywhere here, insurance fraud is on the insurance company radar. It makes a case for the authorities to not say a lot about that possibility.

They wouldn't pay if someone commits arson on their own home... Insurance covers an arsonist setting other peoples property on fire.

Keeseckb,
I was just in the process of updating my post when you wrote this. Your right, the challenge comes in when the fire is just a single property in an area. There have been cases of someone hiring an arsonist to burn down their building. Anyway, it was just a comment as to why they don't jump to that conclusion easily without substantial proof and why the "A" word isn't thrown around lightly.

I've also wondered if they are slow to call it arson in any situation as to not instigate other arsonists...
Given reason arson behavior, it seems at least some arsonists/et. al. are inspired by fires regardless of how they originate - IMO.

I mentioned in another post (somewhere) that one reason for that might be that they may think they can get away with the act of arson in the midst of a large fire?

Chehalem-Bald Peak fire was determined to be human caused. Improperly extinguished camp fire.
They list the Riverside fire as human caused. Anyone know more about that? Camp fire as well?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top