JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't know any places around Pdx but they r sure thick in eastern OR near wa border. They r almost tame over there. I think it must be due to where they were planted. Don't know if was ODFW or WDFW who planted them but they sure took hold.

Not planted, Eurasian Collared-Doves are native to southern Asia. They were introduced in the Bahamas in the 1970s (escaped from the pet trade), and subsequently spread to south Florida. From Florida they moved across all of North America. A very successful invader. Checking back I have the first one recorded at my feeder north of Coos Bay in 2010.

Not planted, Eurasian Collared-Doves are native to southern Asia. They were introduced in the Bahamas in the 1970s (escaped from the pet trade), and subsequently spread to south Florida. From Florida they moved across all of North America. A very successful invader. Checking back I have the first one recorded at my feeder north of Coos Bay in 2010.

I shot a couple 2 years ago that flew into camp, Just south of Lakeside, in the Timber, just behind the sea wall. Cooked them over the campfire :D.

My understanding is they were introduced in the 1980s or somesuch. Same as the fox squirrel and eastern grey squirrel. Now we see pretty much only these two non-native squirrels in Portland. A friend told me he eliminated over 100 of these invasive squirrels from his yard in Portland last year. Times that by the number of yards in Pdx and one would quickly come up with 10-30 million invasive squirrels in Portland.

Those kind of numbers have a big impact on native species. From the large numbers of non-native doves in eastern Oregon in some areas, it makes me think they may be displacing or out competing native birds.

Such a stupid policy to introduce non-native species without thinking it through. It can work in some cases like Pheasants which don't seem to have a massive impact on native species. There were some poor management decisions made back in the day re introducing squirrels and other species.

I had several of these doves in my yard in eastern or this year and they weren't afraid of anything. Almost to the level of pigeons but not quite.

Last Edited:
My understanding is they were introduced in the 1980s or somesuch. Same as the fox squirrel and eastern grey squirrel. Now we see pretty much only these two non-native squirrels in Portland.

Nope, they were first seen in florida in the early 1980s. The first record in the Willamette valley was 2007. The eastern grey squirrel was introduced in 1918 in Salem. The Eastern Fox Squirrel in the 1920s.

Anyone know of good areas to target the Eurasion collared doves? Preferably within a couple hours of PDX.
Don't know what the hunting refs are (if any) for these but With a pellet gun and cruising orcha
Nope, they were first seen in florida in the early 1980s. The first record in the Willamette valley was 2007. The eastern grey squirrel was introduced in 1918 in Salem. The Eastern Fox Squirrel in the 1920s.
These squirrels were introduced in numerous places in wa and or, not just Salem.

Re hunting these invasive doves, I don't know what the hunting regs are but armed with a pellet gun and cruising orchards and similar rural road areas one can see hundreds of these doves in eastern or/eastern wa. They r all over the place.

Don't breast them, pluck them. Yes, it's more work, but worth it.

Their skin is a delicacy. When deep fat fried even their rib bones are edible and taste kinda/sorta like potato chips...

For years I shot them and always stopped after a 100 as plucking that many is quite a chore...

Wrap em in bacon/grill em or deep fat fry or or oven roast em.

However, you must enjoy gamey tasting meat. I do and so does my wife. Mostly we shot mourning doves, a few white wings and when I was shooting them collared doves were few and far between.

My hunting days are over though. The 160 acres my FIL owned have been sold and he's sadly, dead.

Wish I could buy them at the store, maybe some day...Heck, as a kid I never envisioned the various farm raised critters we have now, so dove maybe farm raised in the future when I'm pushing up daises...

Bakersfield CA.
Lol when I lived in Bakersfield years ago I would hurt doves .
The limit was 10 a day.
Me and a friend would go after work during the season.
Sometimes get our limit in less than a half hour.
Or less.
But it takes at least 5 for a meal for one person.

The grape fields around Bakersfield would have doves flying in and out all day long.
We had permission to sit on the dirt road by a field and shoot them.
Lol .
Easy pezzie .
Five gallon bucket and a box of # 8 12 Gage shells

Taste delicious.

Open year round any method.

Breast them
Brine over night in salt water
Put on cookie sheet and freeze for 20 min
Use sharp knife to loave off each 1/2 breast
Place meat in a 1/3 tube from large jalapeños
Take cheap bacon cut in 1/3 lengths
Wrap bacon around jalapeño / dove breast
Secure with pre soaked toothpick
Grill
Finish with bbq sauce of choice

I have been making these for 20 years. Not one person has ever not loved them.

Taste delicious.

Open year round any method.

Breast them
Brine over night in salt water
Put on cookie sheet and freeze for 20 min
Use sharp knife to loave off each 1/2 breast
Place meat in a 1/3 tube from large jalapeños
Take cheap bacon cut in 1/3 lengths
Wrap bacon around jalapeño / dove breast
Secure with pre soaked toothpick
Grill
Finish with bbq sauce of choice

I have been making these for 20 years. Not one person has ever not loved them.

Does any method include airguns?

Yes. They are non game invasive.

Humane killing method is the only standard.
That's really cool. If one were shooting for meat u could use a lowish power but supremely accurate airgun for sitting birds. Something like a crosman 2400 co2 pistol/carbine with 11" lothar Walther barrel. Or any really accurate airgun really. Something u could get a headshot every time when gun is rested/using scope. I was standing underneath two of them on a telephone pole this morning. It would be nothing to get a headshot with an accurate airgun.

For fun though shotgun on private land would be a blast. Although likely to damage meat. I used to hunt birds and doves are a blast cuz they r so fast. Now I only hunt birds with a camera but they are just as hard to shoot with a camera. The big lazy flying balloon birds r easy but the small fast ones are a fun challenge. Snipe were always the toughest for me with a shotgun. Very skiddish, crazy fast, and flying low to the ground.

Here's a female wood duck which are about as fast but bigger than dove:

283BBD4A-A5CD-4392-A7B5-F3726309D516.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR