JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can shoot either action pistol sport with anything 9mm and up. The only reason to choose a gun for a specific sport is if you care about winning. Then you choose power factor and model to maximize your points.

Personally I don't care about winning, just having fun and improving my own shooting.

Lazyeye,

I might try to hook up with you guys this winter, once hunting seasons are over. I would like to try IDPA, just for training purposes. I shoot a Ruger P345 for fun. I don't know anything about IPSC

Anyone in the club that you know certified to teach CHL? I have been dragging my feet due to trying to get a class scheduled. My life is too hectic to plan on attending a class 3 months from now, which is the wait for most places semi-close.

I'm in Springfield, what range do you shoot IDPA at?
What is the cost?
I looked into shooting USPSA at Albany, there was quite a long test to take on match rules, do you do the same?

For non-uspsa members, its $15.
The range is in South Eugene on Izaak Walton rd. See the link for directions.

I'm the newbie with this club, they didn't test me on the rules... but that doesn't mean anything official.

I want to shoot IDPA, never been a big fan of IPSC though.

I'm curious....why are you not a fan of USPSA/IPSC?
<broken link removed>

I'm in Springfield, what range do you shoot IDPA at?
What is the cost?
I looked into shooting USPSA at Albany, there was quite a long test to take on match rules, do you do the same?

....a long test on match rules? I'm not familar with Eugene's USPSA program...but thats the first time I've heard of any section/club requiring a test on rules to shoot USPSA. Frequently clubs will require you to perform a safety check which involves understanding some basic concepts about safety and demonstration of skills. In fact here is the actual document that the USPSA has to administer a safety check:

http://northwestsection.org/files/CPM_extract_safety_check.pdf

Many clubs have an USPSA 101 program which is typically a 2 day class which goes over many of the safety rules and then takes the students through the clubs USPSA match the next day (btw, this is a great way to get into USPSA shooting). Before doing a class, we frequently hand out this document to get the students up to speed before hand:

http://northwestsection.org/files/SafetyCheck_Mar_08.pdf

The Northwest section has a bunch of good stuff on getting started in USPSA with links to many good clubs/sections (including the Columbia Cascade Section) getting started guides.

http://northwestsection.org/newshooter.html

The only "long test on match rules" that I know of is if you want to become a NROI Range Officer.....and that's an entirely different deal all together.

I'm curious....why are you not a fan of USPSA/IPSC?
<broken link removed>

....a long test on match rules? I'm not familar with Eugene's USPSA program...but thats the first time I've heard of any section/club requiring a test on rules to shoot USPSA. Frequently clubs will require you to perform a safety check which involves understanding some basic concepts about safety and demonstration of skills. In fact here is the actual document that the USPSA has to administer a safety check:

http://northwestsection.org/files/CPM_extract_safety_check.pdf

Many clubs have an USPSA 101 program which is typically a 2 day class which goes over many of the safety rules and then takes the students through the clubs USPSA match the next day (btw, this is a great way to get into USPSA shooting). Before doing a class, we frequently hand out this document to get the students up to speed before hand:

http://northwestsection.org/files/SafetyCheck_Mar_08.pdf

The Northwest section has a bunch of good stuff on getting started in USPSA with links to many good clubs/sections (including the Columbia Cascade Section) getting started guides.

http://northwestsection.org/newshooter.html

The only "long test on match rules" that I know of is if you want to become a NROI Range Officer.....and that's an entirely different deal all together.
Albany "jumps you in" too. You have to be "USPSA certified" to shoot a match (does not mean you have to be a USPSA member). I sat through Mike McCarter's class at the ARPC last year. It was pretty straight forward. Seemed like a lot of common sense, but a good thing to do. Gets you up to speed with what is going on in the match before you show up; you have a clue. :s0155:

I want to shoot IDPA, never been a big fan of IPSC though.
Also curious why you're "not a fan."

There's a lot of gaming going on, but it is what you make of it. I've always had a great time.

I know this is an old thread, but are you guys still shooting there? Do non range member have to pay an extra fee, or is it just the $15 for shooting? And how much ammo would you suggest bringing?

Hi Smith,
I'm pretty sure they are still shooting there, I live in a different town now so I haven't been there in a while. When I was there it was just the $15 match fee.

I'm ARPC member. They do currently have a pretty large following of the 'running gun' stuff. I just can't keep track of all the differences between the styles.

Hi fellas,

I am Ben, and I am an active IDPA/IPSC/steel shooter living in Eugene. Our IDPA matches are the 1st Saturday of the month, every month, rain or shine. Our steel matches are every 3rd Saturday of the month, every month, rain or shine. You do NOT need to be a member of the range to attend. Matches are open to the public.

Our USPSA matches are on hold as we reorganize responsibility for that. They will likely continue on the 1st Sunday of the month. We are affiliated with IDPA and USPSA. Our IDPA matches are $10 for IDPA members, and $15 for other. We encourage everyone to join IDPA if you like the game, and it saves you money after 6-7 matches. Our steel matches are ecclectic, some standard steel challenge stages, some oddball Hogan's Alley stages, usually a Texas star or duelling treee, and usually a "Sea o' Falling Steel" stage. I think they are fun and shakeup the usual 4 plates and a stop plate steel challenge format.

We allow .22 pistols at the steel match. We do not allow pistol caliber carbines, due to a charter issue.

We have all skill ranges, with a few "pretty good" shooters, a varying number of newbies, and a lot of CHL carriers who improve and maintain skills with the matches. It's a nice crew of guys (occasional lady as well), and the games are MUCH funner than golf or standard firing line shooting.

First time competitors will go thru a 15 minute safety briefing, and are then often paired with someone on their squad who is experienced, to talk them thru strategies, things to be careful about, etc. There is no test. We tend to help newby shooters learn the ropes in a friendly way, while watching and correcting any safety issues.

We have 12-25 guys at the IDPA and steel matches. For IDPA bring a 9mm or larger pistol, holster, 3 mags, 2-mag carrier if you have it, and 150 rounds of ammo. For a revo bring a .38 or larger revo and 3 or more speed loaders. We usually shoot about 80 rounds for IDPA, about 120 for steel. For steel, 4-5 mags are helpful but not necessary. Holsters are mandatory, mag carriers are not. Eye and ear protection is mandatory.

The only competitive pressure will be what you bring with you.

I hope to see some of you come out and try it. You are welcome to email me for more info. I also shoot at Albany often; Roseburg and Dundee occasionally.

Cheers,

Ben

USPSA requires safety training/safety check before you can shoot your
first match, but they don't currently have any guidelines or rules as to how
that is supposed to happen.

In the Columbia Cascade Section of Area 1, which is Albany Rifle and Pistol,
Tri-County Gun Club and Dundee Practical Shooters, we use a somewhat
standard program.

Training book, found here: http://www.columbia-cascade.org/ under the
"business" menu. Followed by a live fire session, then successful completion of a match.

It varies a bit from club to club. Tri-County has a slightly different program,
which is required before members can use the action pistol pits on their own.

Albany has a regularly scheduled training class.

I do the training at Dundee on an as needed basis, with the live fire on the third Saturday.

Thanks for the post. I hope to get up to speed this coming spring on this style.

Can you link me to some basic configuration of which pistols are currently in use.

Thanks

ARPC member already. I'd like to see the Eugene range too.

Basic configs that are common at any action pistol match:

1) stock Glock, or M&P, or CZ, or XD
2) Any of the above, with trigger work and a fiber optic front sight
3) 1911 pistols, usually with decent sights, beavertails.
4) 1911 pistols with more work. Para-Ordnance double stacks.
5) Sigs, HKs, EAA, and other "stock" pistols, usually 9mm.

After that you start to get into specialized race guns, like STI doublestack 2011s in .40 caliber, tricked out Glocks and M&Ps, and space blaster Open guns.

Come with a 1911, or a Glock, or a revo. You will be welcome and will have fun. If you are interested at all, show up. I've met a lot of guys who wished they hadn't waited to try action pistol, including me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top