Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Eugene Police Officer Killed In Shooting Accident

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by jgeist, Feb 12, 2011.

1. jgeist

jgeist Oregon Active Member

Eugene Police Officer Killed In Shooting Accident - NewsRadio 750 KXL
    A Eugene Police officer is killed Friday in an accident at a shooting range... Lane County Deputies confirm that 16 year Veteran Officer 44-year old Jerry Webber was removing a hunting rifle from the back of his vehicle when it fired striking him once. Deputies say the investigation is continuing but it appears to be an accident.

I am not sure why the hunting rifle would be loaded.... I would get in Deep Shat over that... Dam shame though...

2. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

It was quite a curious set of circumstances that a person with at least 16 years of daily firearm handling experience transported a loaded (and cocked) hunting rifle in his vehicle, and then managed to get the muzzle pointed at himself at the exact time the rifle fired itself. Unbelievable and unlikely is more like it.

3. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Hows that even Possible? Was he doing the double check? Look Down Barrel check..... Pull Trigger.... Check.... Yup it was loaded..

4. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

Rest In Peace, my condolences to family and friends.

5. mjn

mjn Tri-Cities, Wa Active Member

Regardless how it happened, it is tragic.

RIP officer.

Prayers and thoughts to the family...

6. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, sometimes familiarity leads to complacence.

7. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

+1, Sometimes a little healthy fear/respect isn't a bad thing. Hopefully someone reading this will remember to be extra careful when handling firearms and will prevent another horrible, unfortunate incident to happen again.

RIP officer.

8. david58

david58 Oregon Member

Condolences to his family and friends.

Sadly, accidents like these are far more common than we know - only in the rare circumstance that it involves a police officer or someone else newsworthy does it make more than the obituary page. I put all my bolt guns in the case with the bolt out of the action or at least open, and take pains to never point the business end at me or anybody else. Unavoidable when transporting to have it point someplace important, but I do my best. Complacency can kill any of us.

9. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

I wonder what make and model the rifle was? RIP

10. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

I don't think that matters. What matters is it should have not been loaded.

11. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

Yeah, your probably right.

12. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Especially a hunting rifle, I don't know about you but I shot a savage .308 and the trigger felt like a burp would set it off, sucks but with experience comes some laziness/forgetfulness. Not speaking for all but check out your politicians...

13. jgeist

jgeist Oregon Active Member

Truly a fatal error... Prayers to his Family, Friends and Fellow LEO's...

14. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

How tragic.
    I hope the exact circumstances are published at some point because as someone else said it is nearly unbelievable.

15. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

And yet, as a little dig at the end of the piece I saw on the news (KATU I think), there was a comment about the "safety of firearms" without any indication of whether the safety on the rifle was on or off, whether someone or something had caused the trigger to be pressed or any other possible cause. While it still is a tragic incident, the firearm should not have been loaded and it should not have been handled in such a manner as to have the muzzle pointed at someone. So "blame the gun" is alive and well among the media again.

elsie

16. MrNatural

MrNatural Oregon Well-Known Member

Oh well look at the bright side - it makes a great excuse to hold one of those "Emperor's-Visit-To-The-Death-Star" cop funerals.

Imperial Storm Troopers, er . . . I mean Representatives of Dozens of Law-Enforcement Agencies, lined up row upon row as far as the eye can see. Demonstrating for all the world the desperate incestuous self-love the Cop Culture is famous for.

And bagpipes. Gotta have those bagpipes. A finer metaphor for cops you'll never find.

17. mjn

mjn Tri-Cities, Wa Active Member

You have a particular issue with the law? Pretty dam tacky post if you ask me.

18. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Now, Now I'm sure everyone knows that police authority is to never be questioned. Therefore this will hafta remain an Accidental Discharge.

19. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I love your post, and I agree totally, we really must have those bagpipes

Now I just wanna say IBTL!

20. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

My bolts go on the top shelf of my safe. When I go to the range, they go in a separate bag. Some of the snootier shooter's catalogs even sell leather bolt holsters that go on your belt. All in all, not a bad idea, all things considered. I'm a firm believer in the notion that you can't be too careful, and that safety is no accident.