JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>
A Eugene Police officer is killed Friday in an accident at a shooting range... Lane County Deputies confirm that 16 year Veteran Officer 44-year old Jerry Webber was removing a hunting rifle from the back of his vehicle when it fired striking him once. Deputies say the investigation is continuing but it appears to be an accident.

I am not sure why the hunting rifle would be loaded.... I would get in Deep Shat over that... Dam shame though...

It was quite a curious set of circumstances that a person with at least 16 years of daily firearm handling experience transported a loaded (and cocked) hunting rifle in his vehicle, and then managed to get the muzzle pointed at himself at the exact time the rifle fired itself. Unbelievable and unlikely is more like it.

It was quite a curious set of circumstances that a person with at least 16 years of daily firearm handling experience transported a loaded (and cocked) hunting rifle in his vehicle, and then managed to get the muzzle pointed at himself at the exact time the rifle fired itself. Unbelievable and unlikely is more like it.
Unfortunately, sometimes familiarity leads to complacence.

Unfortunately, sometimes familiarity leads to complacence.

+1, Sometimes a little healthy fear/respect isn't a bad thing. Hopefully someone reading this will remember to be extra careful when handling firearms and will prevent another horrible, unfortunate incident to happen again.

RIP officer.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Sadly, accidents like these are far more common than we know - only in the rare circumstance that it involves a police officer or someone else newsworthy does it make more than the obituary page. I put all my bolt guns in the case with the bolt out of the action or at least open, and take pains to never point the business end at me or anybody else. Unavoidable when transporting to have it point someplace important, but I do my best. Complacency can kill any of us.

Especially a hunting rifle, I don't know about you but I shot a savage .308 and the trigger felt like a burp would set it off, sucks but with experience comes some laziness/forgetfulness. Not speaking for all but check out your politicians...

And yet, as a little dig at the end of the piece I saw on the news (KATU I think), there was a comment about the "safety of firearms" without any indication of whether the safety on the rifle was on or off, whether someone or something had caused the trigger to be pressed or any other possible cause. While it still is a tragic incident, the firearm should not have been loaded and it should not have been handled in such a manner as to have the muzzle pointed at someone. So "blame the gun" is alive and well among the media again.

elsie

Oh well look at the bright side - it makes a great excuse to hold one of those "Emperor's-Visit-To-The-Death-Star" cop funerals.

Imperial Storm Troopers, er . . . I mean Representatives of Dozens of Law-Enforcement Agencies, lined up row upon row as far as the eye can see. Demonstrating for all the world the desperate incestuous self-love the Cop Culture is famous for.

And bagpipes. Gotta have those bagpipes. A finer metaphor for cops you'll never find.

Oh well look at the bright side - it makes a great excuse to hold one of those "Emperor's-Visit-To-The-Death-Star" cop funerals.

Imperial Storm Troopers, er . . . I mean Representatives of Dozens of Law-Enforcement Agencies, lined up row upon row as far as the eye can see. Demonstrating for all the world the desperate incestuous self-love the Cop Culture is famous for.

And bagpipes. Gotta have those bagpipes. A finer metaphor for cops you'll never find.

You have a particular issue with the law? Pretty dam tacky post if you ask me.

I love your post, and I agree totally, we really must have those bagpipes

Now I just wanna say IBTL!

My bolts go on the top shelf of my safe. When I go to the range, they go in a separate bag. Some of the snootier shooter's catalogs even sell leather bolt holsters that go on your belt. All in all, not a bad idea, all things considered. I'm a firm believer in the notion that you can't be too careful, and that safety is no accident.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top