JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to reloading and still have a few components to buy but due to the supply issues trying to focus my money on the last unicorn I need... powder.
Trying to get into reloading at the worst time possible Ive concluded that the only way to get powder is to buy private sale but notice the -few- powders being offered rarely specify unopened containers. This seems like a legit hazard to me...
Whats the etiquette on selling powder in the classifieds and whats recommended for the buyer? I dont want to drive out to meet a seller to find its an open container.

If buying powder from anyone you should make sure to ask the question, is it a sealed container. Most old salt reloaders will not bother with open powder containers.
I have a classified ad for trading powder and a few containers are opened. I got them from the widow of a reloader that passed on. If I had not seen his reloading room and how everything was kept I would not have taken these but they were kept in a steady environment and I would not hesitate to use them if they were my powder of choice.
YMMV

Keep in mind that some times if a powder has been sitting around for a few years the seal may come off when you remove the lid. I opened a bottle of Varget that I had sitting around for several years that I bought new and the seal came off as I unscrewed the lid. These were kept inside under stable conditions. I would be hesitant to buy random opened powders from a stranger though.

If a 1lb (or other common size ie 8#) container is advertised, I'd fully expect it to be unopened.

then it seems as if the etiquette is on the seller unless otherwise specified as opened. Some of the ads arent specifying weights just what kind they have to offer... so it was concerning when eventually I found an ad that clearly specified his containers were unopened so it made me start to wonder if people regularly sold/traded open containers.

I was in Ennis this morning. The Shed Horn store had a small variety of powder at slightly inflated prices. They had ammo too! 500 pack of Thunder Bolt for $40. It looked old! Aquila .22LR for $6/50 pack. Wow! I am sitting a gold mine!

If you can get powder on private sales that is best. I am pretty fixated about sealed unopened containers. I had a whole un-opened can of Red Dot I forgot about. 5 gr Red Dot and a 200 gr lead SWC in .45ACP is great! 10 year old primers too!

I finally broke down and bought my first powder online - I always was able to get it at a few stores in town. The last couple times I went out, nothing. Bought eight pounds to make it worth the hazmat. It was still cheaper than buying it on here. But if you're starting out it would be hard to commit to eight pounds of one powder

Last Edited:
I'd buy partials from somebody as meticulous as me. Not even a question, sure thing.

Most knowledgeable reloaders who've done thousands upon thousands of flawless rounds are rather trustworthy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top