JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OF,

Like most others who have commented, I applaud the fact that you:
- Had principles
- Didn't allow the progress of time to erode them for the sake of staying with the range you had invested your time in
- Tried to change the decision via your objection
- When it didn't work, acted on your obections in a manner that might gain the attention of others

It does seem to me that security cameras on a private range are a different thing than government spying. However, the biggest difference between private and government is that with a private range, you CAN make an objection like you did; you can leave. With the government, we cannot escape abuses by officials. This further strengthens the argument that you should take action like you did.

I applaud you, good Sir, and suspect you act similarly for government infringements on your rights. I think many of us could learn from this -- don't let an investment in time and a slow encroachment of rights prevent us from drawing a clear line and taking action when it's crossed.

From my vantage point, you answered your own question by taking the stand that you took, based on the principles that you hold. What else was there to do, other than to overthink your decision? And that would be a total waste of time.

O F, of your decision to avoid camera surveillance I agree, especially after my stubborn reaction trying push back against these last 7 years of shredding our bill of rights. You are a former board member but your vote landed in the minority? That sucks. Still you must have enjoyed your range over the years or else you wouldn't have added your volunteer time to be on the board and other volunteer time. I bet you put in many hours because you like your range and fellow members.

I've been on boards which often first turn off good members with too many argumentative meetings and struggles over small stuff.....ok, "let's make a new rule...." Sometimes for me too much ceremony or overly optimistic anticipation of funds cause over spending. On and on these things can go until good savvy potential board members decline to serve. At least in your case you had too much money. Too much dough is most rare.

O. F. I urge you to get more stubborn yet by 1/2. Bring some other members into your way of thinking. Give them someone strong to hang with. Even if you don't succeed in banishing the cameras, you'll have stiffened spines for any future board decisions which might make normal people bristle. Your example might strengthen others outside your club too in their endeavours. Notice how we Oregonians need to stick together on almost everything; yet, we are divided on a few small issues, enough to not work together on those we know we need to do - politically speaking. Aren't those kind of divisions, those kind which strongly divide due to some of us tied to one idea and others tied to a conflicting one - aren't we disappointed when little is completed due to one item blocking movement or causing a fight? So O - F, I urge you to hang in the minority, make your range better and over time nudge your group back to responsibility, respect, and equality as men and women who do not need to be scrutinized by a man - behind - the - curtain / an all seeing eye. For instance, in the future, don't let them argue for DNA samples 10 years from now.:s0155:

(my long winded $.02)

Johann

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews