JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a couple of questions I am hoping you fine, knowledgable folks can answer for me.

1. How would I go about getting an estimate for a handgun that I own? It is a Colt .38 Super, manufactured in 1946 or 1947 (unsure which).

2. Would having an older gun, such as the Colt mentioned above, re-blued diminish it's value?

I would say it's worth around $200, but I would go $300, because that's just the kind of guy I am. :s0114:

Seriously, if you can get ahold of Williams Bluebook of Gun Values you might be able to find something there. I think I have seen them at BiMart before.

If the gun was extremely collectible based on a limited run or who owned it in the past you would probably be better off not having it reblued, but if you're just wanting it for a shooter go for it.

Guessing from what I can tell from the pic, add a zero to what Cougfan2 was jokingly referring it was worth. The picture isn't that great, but your gun could be worth about $1,500-$2,000 as it is. If you have it re-blued you will degrade it to a shooter and then it might not be worth $800.

I'd love it, take care of it and shoot it just as it is. That's a sweet pistol.:s0155:

Last Edited:
Google, Gunbroker.com, take it to a gunshow, and/or ask a gun dealer. Use your detective skills and don't accept the 1st answer as solid. Get several opinions to make sure you don't get duped into believing it is worthless or misbelieve it's more valuable than gold.

Saw this thread earlier and just getting back on. I sent you a PM, then came back here... After seeing a pic for a 40's Colt I'd guess anywhere from $600-$1600 ish. I'm by no means a Colt expert, but have started perusing them! I've seen a few VERY nice Colt's of that era that people have picked up recently for the $1K point. With the right buyer though it's very open to interpretation! :) If it was mine and it had any family value leave it be, oil it up and put it away.

Don't forget when checking value on this gun, it is a 38 Super, not a 45 ACP. There can be a significant difference in price because of this. Due to the vintage of this gun, it's described as a 2nd Model. If it's in 90% condition (and it kinda looks like is is from the one pic) the Blue Book of Gun Values shows an $1,800 value. If it is a 95% that jumps to $2,400. Yes, that is the book value, but I Know enough Colt Collectors to know that the upper condition guns sell for more than the "book" value. No matter what, this looks like a gun that should be cherished as it is.

Wish it was mine.;)

To check the value of this gun, go to an Oregon Arms Collectors show and take your gun. Look for Lowell Pauli. Ask him if he can give you an estimated value of the gun. Lowell is a person that not only works with The Blue Book people, he has connections with Colt. He really knows his stuff!!

Be wary of an estimated value from a guy trying to buy the gun from you. Estimating the condition if a gun is where the gun value gets tricky. Take my brother for instance, to him a gun is "minty" with 75% original finish and a gun is "a little rough" when it has 10% finish, rust, worn smooth checkering and deep permanent scratches. A like new gun has about 5000 rounds thru it or went thru the Battle of the Bulge used as a crutch.

Just from that one grainy picture, I can see plenty of muzzle wear, all the edges are worn and it has seen some honest use. Start thinking about 85% condition and it being a nice example or a good shooter, not a 98% gun. Still a very desirable gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top