JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The following information is taken from two publications: OSPs 2020 FICS Program Overview – Year end report, and the 2021 FICS Program Overview – Year end report. (FICS Firearms Instant Check System). These are year end mandated reports.

To summarize for those not wishing to read a lot, from past performance there is absolutely NO REASON why OSP cannot process the entire wait list of 30-40,000 applicants in the 30 day period starting Dec 8th. To not do so would be nothing less than deliberate obstruction of an established process to complete such applications.

To support such a contention I am using their data from their reports. Read on!

The 2020 Report Summary
In 2020 they processed 418,061 applications (an average of 34,838 a month). This was with a FICS staff of 30 permanent employees, the unit operates 14 hours a day and 7 days a week, 363 days a year. (14 to 20 staff assigned per day). The 2020 report indicates that an average of 37 percent of applications process automatically not needing staff to process, I assume these are the "Instant" approvals. Those not granted the automatic (Instant) approval are considered "Pending". The data for 2020 is markedly different than prior years in that a very large percentage of the Pending (41 percent) took from 120 to 365 days to complete. There was mention of COvid impacts to the processing and function of the unit, perhaps explaining this change from prior years. Nevertheless with approx 37 percent of applications "Instantly" processed and roughly 19 percent of the remaining processed in 0-10 days, a big chunk got thru quickly.

2021 Report
A significant staffing change was initiated but not yet fullfilled. Oregon legislature granted approval and funding for 17 additional staff, an increase of over 50 percent from prior year. Recruitment began in the fall (November), and training was expected to begin in January of 2022. The 2021 report shows a total of 338,330 transactions for the year (28,194 a month average). This report indicated "approximately 38 percent of the requests are processed automatically". Unfortunately it does not give the actual number/or percentage. Of the remaining pending transactions 49 percent of these were processed in 0-10 days. That combined with the approx 38 percent that made it thru automatically (Instant) shows a really high number quickly processed, still without the added staffing which would occur in 2022. Approximately 21 percent of the Pending transactions fell in the 121-365 day category. I need to note that the report indicates that the 2021 actuals will not be finalized until the 2023 report (why it would take 2 years to "finalize" that data seems strange but whada I know?)

2022??
All I gotta say is that in 2022 with increased staffing of over 50 percent OSP FICS should be able to easily process over 36,000 transactions over a 30 day period. Keep in mind in 2020 with less staffing an average of 34,838 transactions were processed per month. If anything less is done in the 30 days following Dec 8th, something really stinks. If that does occur it makes the case that increased staffing results in deceased accomplishments, and therefore all State/local Gov staffing should be cut by 50 percent, productivity and services accordingly would increase.

Note: there is a lot of specific data, and county by county data in these reports, you can find em on line.

Sounds like politics hard at work. Do we have any insight into current staffing? For example, having open positions that are budgeted but not yet filled may account for some loss of performance.

Sounds like politics hard at work. Do we have any insight into current staffing? For example, having open positions that are budgeted but not yet filled may account for some loss of performance.
no i don't anyway.
Keep in mind it is likely not LESS than the staffing for the 2020 year when 34,838 were processed per month. Also that is an AVERAGE of from the yearly total. As the report indicated numbers per month/day would fluctuate based on gun shows etc, thus one could expect some months to be much lower than that average and some months more. What it means is they likely currently have the capacity and staffing to do over 40,000 a month.

I am betting that a purchase today with chl will not pass in 30 days and I am stuck with a paid handgun waiting for a permit to purchase which I will not do. Yuk! I suspect the politics are not good faith motivators for the background check staffers to process quickly. Any recent updates on how many chls are processed daily?: thx.

Which is great, until you realize everything they're clearing is replaced by two new ones. They're being added faster than they can process which is why there's a backlog. If you think everyone is going to play nice and NOT buy more in these 30 days, you're kidding yourself. Even if they process 60k, that queue is going to be bigger in January than it is today

Did the summary or data show how many they did in December in those years?
No, the data is not broken out by monthly. They give yearly totals, an "estimate" of how many made it through automatically (instant 37-38 percent) and then of the pending they break in into percentages by different time/day periods, ie 0-3 days, 4-10 days, 185-365 etc. They also show what the daily averages are by days of the week. And they show actual numbers only when showing breakout by county and they differentiate between dealer and private party.
My monthly average i provided is simply the years total divided by 12.

Which is great, until you realize everything they're clearing is replaced by two new ones. They're being added faster than they can process which is why there's a backlog. If you think everyone is going to play nice and NOT buy more in these 30 days, you're kidding yourself. Even if they process 60k, that queue is going to be bigger in January than it is today
Concur, but i would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that those that apply post Dec8th get added to the back of the line, those that are currently in line have a good chance of getting processed if they process as they have in the past.

I am betting that a purchase today with chl will not pass in 30 days and I am stuck with a paid handgun waiting for a permit to purchase which I will not do. Yuk! I suspect the politics are not good faith motivators for the background check staffers to process quickly. Any recent updates on how many chls are processed daily?: thx.
I agree.

So 30,000 yes but I'm guessing in the last month there have been double that amount and unless they hire more ppl or there's a pause in purchasing, it will be like that for a while

I'm probably repeating someone.... getting senile

In 2020 they processed 418,061 applications (an average of 34,838 a month).
Remember, the queue of 30-40,000 does not include all the instant approvals. The 34,838 number above does (it appears). Some of the people I'm talking with advise that at least 50% are instant, possibly even more. That the total number that have been processed during this time could be approaching 100,000.

With any system there is a limit. When something is set up for average, even making allowances for some peaks, the system gets completely disrupted when things go bat-crap crazy. Kinda like the great TP shortage of 2020. Who expected so much poo???

$.02

It's like salmon running a river.

Only to find a dam and a narrow fish ladder with bears and fishermen on both sides of the river below the ladder.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top