JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ESTACADA, Ore. - A mother is outraged that the man who shot her family’s dog and sent bullets flying past her children isn’t in jail.

The man who fired the shots Saturday told investigators he had to protect himself.

Tiffany Peterson’s two boys were enjoying the sunny Saturday morning with Outlaw, their 3-year-old German shepherd. They said the neighbor in the house across the street, Patrick Nagle, called to their dog by whistling. Outlaw went into the road.

“He just kept shooting and kept shooting and kept shooting. It was like it wasn’t going to stop,” said Peterson.

Outlaw was hit several times and died, and a stray bullet hit the Petersons’ car. It all happened right in front of the boys.

“They were in the line of fire at their own home, and now they’re scared to play in their own yard,” Peterson said.

Nagle told police he’d come out to fix ruts in the grass. He told them he was carrying a gun because of past run-ins with the dog. He said he was working, looked up and the dog was coming at him. He fired three shots but said the dog kept coming. He said he kept firing until his gun was empty.

Nagle’s wife told a KATU News reporter on Monday their lawyer told them not to say anything.

Investigators say the bad blood goes back several weeks to when a moving van driven by relatives of Outlaw’s owners first made the ruts.

Nagle told deputies when he opened fire he didn’t see the boys and thought it was safe to protect himself.

Peterson said Nagle has a right to defend himself “and I would too if he was being fair about it. My dog has never once been a danger to anybody.”

Nagle had previously complained to animal control that Outlaw charged him aggressively when he checked his mailbox. Outlaw’s owners told the officer it wasn’t true and that Nagle was the one threatening the boys and saying he was going to kill the dog. That was three weeks ago.

Nagle will go before a judge in about a month on a charge of recklessly endangering the boys. If Nagle is found guilty, he could face a maximum of one year in jail.

But a legal expert told KATU News that since Nagle has no criminal record, it’s extremely unlikely he’d get that punishment.

<broken link removed>

It sounds like a pissed off neighbor got revenge to me (but I love dog's) it sounds like the dog was in the road he was in his yard and boom boom pay backs?
I could be totally wrong and he could have been justified in shooting the dog I just hope the kids were not as close as the mother is saying.
What do you think...

It sounds like a pissed off neighbor got revenge to me (but I love dog's) it sounds like the dog was in the road he was in his yard and boom boom pay backs?
I could be totally wrong and he could have been justified in shooting the dog I just hope the kids were not as close as the mother is saying.
What do you think...

About the same here. Over time I have become very skeptical about the quality of how news articles are written or presented on TV. Be nice if there was some kind of followup.

that guy should not carry a gun let alone own a gun. As this article shows, he was looking for a fight and did everything he could to make a situation happen.

If the owners of Outlaw care as much about him as I do about mine, the fawkin neighbor is lucky to be alive.

A bad deal for everyone involved but; unless you were on the scene how can you form an opinion? The press sensationalizes, the perps lie, and the victims
may not be.

that guy should not carry a gun let alone own a gun. As this article shows, he was looking for a fight and did everything he could to make a situation happen.

If the owners of Outlaw care as much about him as I do about mine, the fawkin neighbor is lucky to be alive.

Then I would say if you value a dogs life over a humans than you should not have or carry a firearm. I would have been more concerned about the kids being in the line of fire than the dog being shot. There isnt enough info involved to say if the shooter is justified for the dog but he should have been more alert to kids in area. I for one would have retreated from the dog rather than shoot it but who knows the real situation that occured. The dog had to be some distance away in order for him to unload a full mag and obviously he is a bad shot as well.

Then I would say if you value a dogs life over a humans than you should not have or carry a firearm. I would have been more concerned about the kids being in the line of fire than the dog being shot. There isnt enough info involved to say if the shooter is justified for the dog but he should have been more alert to kids in area. I for one would have retreated from the dog rather than shoot it but who knows the real situation that occured. The dog had to be some distance away in order for him to unload a full mag and obviously he is a bad shot as well.

I value all life. The dog died and at the hands of someone who is portrayed in this article as an instigator. I cannot guess at what happened only what is shown in this thread. the guy whistled, the dog came, the guy shot the dog, the car and kept firing until the clip was empty.

This guy is a lunatic.

I saw the interviews of the family last night on the news.. I don't think I'm buying their version 100%.. Not saying the shooter was right..just that there's more to the story..than what the owners are saying...

<broken link removed>

He just kept shooting and kept shooting and kept shooting. It was like it wasn't going to stop," said Peterson.

Outlaw was hit several times and died, and a stray bullet hit the Petersons' car. It all happened right in front of the boys.

"They were in the line of fire at their own home, and now they're scared to play in their own yard," Peterson said.

Nagle told police he'd come out to fix ruts in the grass. He told them he was carrying a gun because of past run-ins with the dog. He said he was working, looked up and the dog was coming at him. He fired three shots but said the dog kept coming. He said he kept firing until his gun was empty.

Ever try to whistle for someone elses dog? If someone whistled for my dog she might stop and look at you but I can assure you she wouldn't come to you. I've even tried to coaks a stray out of the road with hot dogs and couldn't get it to come to me.

Now a more likely scenario is the kids are out front playing and the dog is with them. The dog thinks it needs to protect the kids and sees the neighbor. I could see my dog charging someone if she thought she was protecting the kids even if that person wasn't a true threat.

I also don't blame him for tunnel vision if all he saw was a charging dog.

I wasn't there. I don't know the history beyond the 2min the news gave it and I certainly don't know the specific dog. I'm just saying the report that the dog was in the street because the neighbor whistled doesn't ring logical in my book.

Sounds like both people were wrong in their actions at some point but to kill a dog? Maybe it was dangerous but for it to play around kids and have no problems yet charge a random person who is working in their yard sounds a little far fetched.

I guess this is just another reason why there are LEASH LAWS(maybe none in estacada? the only place i am sure of them is at parks)

Ever try to whistle for someone elses dog? If someone whistled for my dog she might stop and look at you but I can assure you she wouldn't come to you. I've even tried to coaks a stray out of the road with hot dogs and couldn't get it to come to me.

Maybe your dog but not the ones that i know. A german sheppard is usually a smarter bread but I had a boxer that just loved people and if she had any interest would come running over to get pet before she lost interest and moved onto the next thing.

This is the part that really bothers me:
and a stray bullet hit the Petersons' car. It all happened right in front of the boys.
It sounds like he was panic firing and got really lucky he did not hit anything else. I know nothing about Estacada but if this had happened in Bend or Redmond or a lot of other places he would have probably been charged on the spot and apprehended.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top