JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been charged by a dog before and its rather scary.. Nonetheless, if there are kids playing around, I think pepper spray is better option. However, before anyone condemns a person for defending himself against a charging dog; try having one come at you. Anyhow, I don't know who is innocent or to blame here so I won't take sides. I just know that there is irresponsible dog owners and that many owners are not aware at how their dogs threaten strangers out of their presence. IF a dog was charging me, God help me, with the decision between my life and the life of that dog's owners children. I would do all in my power to protect those kids , but also I don't want to have my groin or throat rip to pieces by some vicious German Shepard charging me. One thing I would do is wait until the dog is close, but shooting a dog is not so easy. Why do you think police use German Shepard K-9s to apprehend armed hostiles?

My personal feeling is that if a person lets a vicious dog run loose and it charges a person for an attack and that person shoots his guns and hits a child, that the owner of the dog should be charged for murder or manslaughter, not the person defending their life. I know some may disagree with me here. And, I don't know if this guy was in that situation or if he was just some crazy person looking to kill dogs.. In that case, throw the book at him.

+100 - If the "FACTS" prove that what this guy did was unjustified, then he needs to get the big boot, but lets at least wait for the facts and not crucify him based on the press and one side of the story. How would you law abiding gun fans like it if something like this happened to you and the people on this site were ready to hang you without the facts... Just a bit premature don't you think...

Doolah boolah lemon spoolah dead thread, I command thee to rise again...Rise necrothread, rise!

Any update on this 6+ year old story? Did Cletus go to jail for endagering the kids who probably shave by now? Did Bertha get her car fixed? Did they share a Pepsi and suddenly have the world unite? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Even though this is a zombie thread this same thing happens fairly often somewhere. I have had so many "run ins" with dangerous dogs that I seldom believe people claiming their dog did nothing. EVERY damn time I have had to fend off some dog the owners swore it had never happened before. Even when it was the same dog I had had to fight off before. Moral to the story? Own a dog, KEEP IT ON YOUR PROPERTY if it's not on a leash with you. Problem solved.

Even though this is a zombie thread this same thing happens fairly often somewhere. I have had so many "run ins" with dangerous dogs that I seldom believe people claiming their dog did nothing. EVERY damn time I have had to fend off some dog the owners swore it had never happened before. Even when it was the same dog I had had to fight off before. Moral to the story? Own a dog, KEEP IT ON YOUR PROPERTY if it's not on a leash with you. Problem solved.

Agreed. KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH/LEAD! DOGS NEED TO BE KEPT UNDER CONTROL AT ALL TIMES! If it isn't on your property, there's a distinct possibility that it could either be accidentally crippled or killed. This is the fault of the owner, not the dog. Blame yourself, not the animal.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ANIMAL! IF IT IS KILLED IT IS YOUR FAULT!

Agreed. KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH/LEAD! DOGS NEED TO BE KEPT UNDER CONTROL AT ALL TIMES! If it isn't on your property, there's a distinct possibility that it could either be accidentally crippled or killed. This is the fault of the owner, not the dog. Blame yourself, not the animal.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ANIMAL! IF IT IS KILLED IT IS YOUR FAULT!

As a teen I almost came to blows with a guy one night over this. Driving home dark road. See dog on side of road. I pull over looks like fresh kill, he was warm. Mini Collie. About that time some young girl is driving the other way slowly. She stops, says I think I just hit a dog and was checking. We are both standing there looking around, dog of course has no collar. Over hill from above comes some asshat yelling. Asking if that's his dog. I tell him are you looking for a mini Collie? He comes down swearing at the woman yelling that the dog was VERY valuable. I stepped in front of him and said it was easy for me to see he could care less about the dog other than what he could sell it for. He puffed all up and I said since you have no collar or tags on dog and it's out here running free on a dark road you could care less. He said he was going to call Police. I told him you do that I will stick around with this lady while we all wait. She was all ready to give him her name. I told her hold on a second. He puffed up like he was thinking about taking a swing at me, turned and huffed back to his house. I told the woman to just leave, don't even try to talk to him. Woman was crushed at killing the dog. I told her it was not her fault. The owner was a moron who allowed it to happen.

I did not know that motorists were required to stop and talk to the owner, police, a damsel in destress, or anyone, if a dog is struck by a motor vehicle....

Sometimes, it seems as though dogs are revered more than unborn human beings in the PNW.....

I did not know that motorists were required to stop and talk to the owner, police, a damsel in destress, or anyone, if a dog is struck by a motor vehicle....

Sometimes, it seems as though dogs are revered more than unborn human beings in the PNW.....

If you hit a dog with your vehicle, you're supposed to give a reasonable attempt to find the owner. A cat? Keep on goin...

In cases like this there are three stories, Party A, Party B and the Truth. Only one thing stands out in my mind. Taking a gun out to "be prepared" instead of calling the neighbors and asking them to lock up the dog. If I honestly thought I was going to have a problem where I had to shoot the dog, I would involve the Sheriff before using my gun.

Not all people are rational.

I have no idea if there is any laws saying you are supposed to stop. Some do, many just keep going. Last time I hit one that bounded out in front of me it took off. I followed it home and owners came out. I told them I had just hit the dog and they should check it. Dog seemed fine, even bounded over to me to greet me. Maybe part cat with many lives. If one of my dogs got out and got hit I know I would not blame the driver but would appreciate being told. One of mine got out one time years ago. Something had made a hole under fence behind some heavy shrubbery. I had no idea it was there but the one explorer dog found it. When we realized she was out we were both out hunting for her all over and luckily found her. If she had been hit by a car I would have been deeply sad but blamed only myself. I did not know how she got out till we got her back home and I started searching for how the hell she got out.

People revere their dogs to a ridiculous level. It is a dog, not a person. Jumping Jehoshaphat! Again, if you let your dog escape, it is not the other person's fault!

It is time to live in, and face. the real world.

People revere their dogs to a ridiculous level. It is a dog, not a person. Jumping Jehoshaphat! Again, if you let your dog escape, it is not the other person's fault!

It is time to live in, and face. the real world.
To each his own. I do revere my dogs though. I would have no problem using force to protect one up to and including the same force I would use to protect myself. Now if one gets in the street that would be my fault just like it would have been if one of my kids had been allowed to run in the street when young.

To each his own. I do revere my dogs though. I would have no problem using force to protect one up to and including the same force I would use to protect myself. Now if one gets in the street that would be my fault just like it would have been if one of my kids had been allowed to run in the street when young.

Once again, they are not people! You may revere them all you like, but they are as much a person as Caitlyn Jenner is a woman. It is NOT in their DNA! I'm not saying that it is wrong to love and cherish them, but it is best to get a grip on reality!

Come on, brother. I know that you mean well but think about your mental processes. You're better than that.

Once again, they are not people! You may revere them all you like, but they are as much a person as Caitlyn Jenner is a woman. It is NOT in their DNA! I'm not saying that it is wrong to love and cherish them, but it is best to get a grip on reality!

Come on, brother. I know that you mean well but think about your mental processes. You're better than that.
This is "my reality". Many don't feel that way and that's fine. Many treat dogs as a disposable item. Don't really care. If I had to defend one of mine from someone who wanted to harm it I would lose no more sleep over that than I would over doing the same it it was me I was defending. Don't care how others "feel" about it.

This is "my reality". Many don't feel that way and that's fine. Many treat dogs as a disposable item. Don't really care. If I had to defend one of mine from someone who wanted to harm it I would lose no more sleep over that than I would over doing the same it it was me I was defending. Don't care how others "feel" about it.

I'm not cold. I loved my Sam (my Red Point Short Haired Siamese Cat) as if he were my own child. I had to personally shoot him to death and cried for five days at the loss. He had great gentle attributes, was obedient and affectionate. No, I'm not cold, but I'm not watching him graduate from High School or moving on with life.

Some things aren't the way we want them and I have to live with that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top