Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Established Shooting Club Dues Structure

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Rem725, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Rem725

Rem725 Tracktown, OR Member

What do you think is a good yearly dues amount for an individual membership in a gun club that has ranges for 200yd rifle, shotgun, and NRA pistol?

2. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

my club charges 100$ a year... has the above although not sure if the pistol range is "NRA"

3. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

OP, are you trying to join a club and don't like the existing dues structure or are you buying one and want to know what to charge?

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Four Corners Rod and Gun Club in Salem charges $200.00 a year for membership

50ft indoor .22 range

10-25-50ft short range

50-100-200 long range

Archery Range

BBq and Kitchen facilities, Class room/Meeting room facilities,

5. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

I would suggest reading the range rules before you become a member there. They suck. If you don't mind the drive ARPC Albany Rifle and Pistol Club is very nice and has very favorable range rules depending on what you are looking for. They have full auto days, you can shoot a .50 cal., you can draw from the holster and carry your gun around in the holster. It's nice.

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Oh, so they aren't like the dip-dunks at TCGC then? AMAZING! ;)

7. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

A suggestion. If you're planning to open/manage a range, learn everything you can about operating costs (in addition to dues) from others who've been where you're going.

Annual dues at the indoor club where I shoot are very reasonable (and even a bit less for NRA members). But improvements on things like ventilation, bullet traps and basic building maintenance come slowly, often fueled by donations and always with volunteer working parties. Blood sweat and tears that dues simply cannot cover.

Nice facilities are not cheap or easy to maintain.

8. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

I'm the VP for the Oakridge Gun Club, & I can tell you it cost allot more to run then I thought it would. If your planning on starting a range or purchasing one, feel free to pm me. I will be more than happy to discuss things with you. You will also find most of the gun clubs are willing to help.

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sorry buddy been a member for many years. And while 4 Corners does have some limitations it also has some huge benifits. I can shot a 50 cal at Four Corners (just not a 50BMG which I don't own anyway so who cares) As to the holster thing Four Corners is a target range not an Action range. There's a difference. And when we finally get the improvements completed that have been planned we will be adding a Shotgun range and a Practical/Action range.

But thanks for your advise. I'll give it the due its worth.

10. Truenorth

Truenorth Pacific Northwet Active Member

$100 a year plus 8 hours of volunteer range rennovation & clean up party work.

Or $180 and skip the volunteer time.

11. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

A lot of them do a "membership/annual fee" and then an hourly/per-day etc. fee on top of that. Different step-functions often. Define what "membership" defines. You mean a flat yearly fee? If you were to have what you describe, I'd say like at least $500 per year were it flat/a done deal.

12. Rem725

Rem725 Tracktown, OR Member

Sorry to bring up old poss....
    Established club. Trying to get more volunteers to run/maintain with a current dues and workbond schedule. Volunteers are few and cranky if you press them to help out. Same small group does all the work, and getting tired of it.

Any ideas?

13. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Up the current rates save for volunteers. Provide due notice though, of course.

evltwn likes this.
  14. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

Up the dues by 25% and give discounts back to the previous price for those who volunteer. Find ways to make the volunteering more fun/interesting.

evltwn likes this.
  15. joe k

joe k SE Portland Member

Getting volunteers for maintenance is always hard. And some folks will want to pay the extra charge for not working, just because their time is worth more per hour than the additional cost. You need a project coordinator who is organized and flexible, so that when volunteers show up, they are kept busy. Nobody wants to waste their time standing around.

In any group, there will be a small percentage that will do most of the work. Hopefully they get enough personal satisfaction and camaraderie to keep at it.

Your base or discounted dues need to be structured to cover all your basic costs (utilities, insurance, repairs, supplies, etc.) plus allow for improvement projects and contingencies/emergencies. The surcharge ilo work hours can then be set to incentivize the behavior you want, i.e. more volunteers.

evltwn likes this.