JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did you end up buying one or the other? how did it turn out?

I ended up getting both.

I like the "shake-awake" feature and the solar panels on the Holosun, but the Eotech seems to be a more trusted and battle-tested optic (and has a 3X magnifier that can be stuck behind it). Both brands have QD mounts.

But now that I have these things, it's too dry to do any shooting on my place. So I haven't had a chance to sight them in yet.

At this point, I'm thinking the Holosun might be better for a home-defense gun. If something goes bump in the night, I like the notion that the optic will come on when I pick up the gun. No feeling around for the 'on' button.

I'm hoping to join ARPC this month, so I can shoot any time of year. Once I get these things sighted in, and do some shooting with them, I'll come back to this thread and let you all know what I think about them.

I ran a night break and that was a no go. You need to tame the flame because the flame is blinding especially at night. I went to the Krinkov style device that it came with and it got way better but I am going with a 4 piece from C&C warrior as its supposed to be one of the best for getting rid of flask on an AK pistol. Not sure why yours was not doing its job, can you take a more close up pic of the 4 piece you were using?

View attachment 684729

I've misplaced that 4-piece flash hider. When I find it again, I'll try to get some pictures of it for you. I got it from CNC Warrior.

One is among the most proven combat optics on the planet, used to kill thousands of targets by Tier 1 SMU's over the last 20+ years.

The other is a rip off chinesse piece of garbage in which you buying funds chicom R&D for weapon sights that one day may be used against American Soliders or their Allies.

Its very simple when you have choices. Some things you can't avoid but there is zero excuse to buy this junk.

Can you elaborate? Specifically, how/why are the Chinese-made optics "junk"?

I'm not looking for an argument - just want as much information as I can get about Holosun.

I had a Eotech 512. Did not like it. Dot was not sharp looks like a cluster of grapes and not very bright. I bought
Vortex Spitfire Prism 32 mm sight. Dot circle, circle Reticle. Love it red or green big clear and sharp. Much wider
field of view than the Eotech. Don't know anything about Holsun never heard of it.
Vortex Optics Spitfire Prism Sight 32mm 1x DRT Reticle Matte

I had Lasik and all I see when I look through an Eotech is a big red blur. Aimpoints and other red dots are not as bad, but still very lacking. Looked through a prismatic and bingo! clear and sharp. I too went with the Spitfire and it's rugged and intuitive. Nice feature is that it still has a usable reticle when the battery dies. Only drawback is that prismatics use more glass so they are slightly heavier.

I'm not looking for an argument - just want as much information as I can get about Holosun.

Howard1955,

I've got some input, unfortunately it would seem I'm a little late to the debate! None the less, I've used Aimpoints early in my Army career and was never really impressed with Aimpoints early attempts at harnessing the red dot ( Optic-U.S. Army's M68CCO). The M68 was introduced in 1997 and the Army stayed with the contract and fielded the optic mainly to regular army units. Personally I felt the the M68 limited your field of view and in doing so leaves the shooter more likely to become target fixated without observing other threats in an open environment. I also prefer a BUS with any optic because I don't want my fate resting on a AAA (123's all the way). Lastly, I never really liked the recital, I felt like it had a tendency to bounce around especially after fatigue sets in.

Urban warfare is a beast all its own and most engagements are in close proximity and in all honesty your front sight post trims the precious seconds of target acquisition and the establishment of friend or foe that would be limited by the doting of the front sight post with the red dot. When taking a shot that is inside a teammates comfort level however, I felt that the Eotech 512 and XPS are both sliding glass doors when compared to the Aimpoint's tunnel. I've also personally seen the M68's glass come out of the housing in the armory and it hand't been put through the ringer (maritime, sandbox and airborne operations) while the Eotech's have and never skipped a beat or lost a zero. I'm going to side with Eotech and the 3 X magnifier on a my primary weapon system and my personal. The price is stupid and you'd think that Ziess glass and 14K gold were being used to manufacture them but for an urban environment, Eotech for sure. Open environment I like the ACOG.

I love optics and I apologize about the Danielle Steele post. I just recently got with the times and bought a Holosun 407A to run on my Glock 17. I'm pleasantly surprised at not only the price point because Eotechs are so $$$, but the "Shake Awake" feature is nice as it's there if you need it and in the unlikely event it dies, suppressor sights are a nice alternative when Murphy shows up. I'd have preferred a Leopold Deltapoint or the RMR but Trijicon's must be using the same Ziess glass and gold that Eotech does? It being my secondary weapon, all hell must be breaking loose if I'm relying on the alternate so I guess I choose to be cheap in that order.

Sorry for the long winded post, hope it helps.

20191225_134503.jpg 2020-08-02 19.08.50.jpg

Howard1955,

I've got some input, unfortunately it would seem I'm a little late to the debate! None the less, I've used Aimpoints early in my Army career and was never really impressed with Aimpoints early attempts at harnessing the red dot ( Optic-U.S. Army's M68CCO). The M68 was introduced in 1997 and the Army stayed with the contract and fielded the optic mainly to regular army units. Personally I felt the the M68 limited your field of view and in doing so leaves the shooter more likely to become target fixated without observing other threats in an open environment. I also prefer a BUS with any optic because I don't want my fate resting on a AAA (123's all the way). Lastly, I never really liked the recital, I felt like it had a tendency to bounce around especially after fatigue sets in.

Urban warfare is a beast all its own and most engagements are in close proximity and in all honesty your front sight post trims the precious seconds of target acquisition and the establishment of friend or foe that would be limited by the doting of the front sight post with the red dot. When taking a shot that is inside a teammates comfort level however, I felt that the Eotech 512 and XPS are both sliding glass doors when compared to the Aimpoint's tunnel. I've also personally seen the M68's glass come out of the housing in the armory and it hand't been put through the ringer (maritime, sandbox and airborne operations) while the Eotech's have and never skipped a beat or lost a zero. I'm going to side with Eotech and the 3 X magnifier on a my primary weapon system and my personal. The price is stupid and you'd think that Ziess glass and 14K gold were being used to manufacture them but for an urban environment, Eotech for sure. Open environment I like the ACOG.

I love optics and I apologize about the Danielle Steele post. I just recently got with the times and bought a Holosun 407A to run on my Glock 17. I'm pleasantly surprised at not only the price point because Eotechs are so $$$, but the "Shake Awake" feature is nice as it's there if you need it and in the unlikely event it dies, suppressor sights are a nice alternative when Murphy shows up. I'd have preferred a Leopold Deltapoint or the RMR but Trijicon's must be using the same Ziess glass and gold that Eotech does? It being my secondary weapon, all hell must be breaking loose if I'm relying on the alternate so I guess I choose to be cheap in that order.

View attachment 737676 View attachment 737678

I appreciate the input. Thanks.

One is among the most proven combat optics on the planet, used to kill thousands of targets by Tier 1 SMU's over the last 20+ years.

The other is a rip off chinesse piece of garbage in which you buying funds chicom R&D for weapon sights that one day may be used against American Soliders or their Allies.

Eotech and Holosun are not two brands I would even compare.

Eotech has a long history of service and reliability.

Holosun is a Chinese made "budget" optic.

I agreed. :D

Howard1955,

View attachment 737676 View attachment 737678
This is one of the dumbest things I have read on here in a while.

Aimpoint is the most proven combat optic in the world, in all of history.

I have run a Aimpoint(M2, M3, M4), Acog (TA11 & 31), Eotech (512 & 553) and S&B shortdot in combat and just about everything you posted is BS.

I ran an arms room for a combat arms company in IRAQ for over a year. That includes maintaining , repairing, replacing optics and lasers.

While the aimpoint is not quite as fast as an Eotech up close (Were talking milliseconds difference), its much more reliable and durable.

The fact you think it has a limited field of view, just proves you A. Are talking out your Booty Hole, and B. Don't even know how to shoot a reflex optic.

The Pre XPS / EXPS Eotechs were a dumpster fire. The only people who could really employ them properly was SOCOM, who had the budget to replace them often and swap in new batteries every mission. For the most part outside of FID and SR, the vast majority were doing short duration DA missions and would RTB often multiple times per day. This made swamping out broken gear much easier. These are also highly trained Soliders, Airmen, Marines and Sailors who are able to discern the minute differance between optics, where the eotechs reticle provides a slight speed advantage but with significant drawbacks elsewhere.

For a line unit who may be out for days or weeks, in a remote location that doesn't have the logistical support that SOCOM brings with it, you need to be able to rely on that optic. If an optic does go down, it may be weeks before a replacement shows up due to the log system. We didn't have piles of new spares laying around. ACOG's and Aimpoints were about the only thing issued that would stand up to the abuse of partoling and combat. Guys like me who were gun nuts would spend $2K on a a S&B for the added flexibility.

Holosun is cheap Chinese garbage that will not and does not stand up to abuse. For the wannabe instagram types and those who shoot a 100 rounds in a dirt pile each year, enjoy your chicom crap.

But don't mistake it for anything closely resembling proven combat optics. This false sense of security is there because ignorance is bliss.

The reason a RMR cost what it cost is, Its the ONLY rmr on the planet that actually stands up to running on a pistol. Its the only optic that can survive drop tests. Delta point? Shatters. Chicom garbage? Shatters. Trijicon SRO? Shatters. Old Dr.Optics and the like we ran on SPRs? Shatters.

There are two types of mini red dots. RMR's and junk.

I'm hoping some of you veterans might be able to help me choose between an Eotech and a Holosun optic.

I'm putting together a CQB gun that I plan to hand down to my heirs.

The Holosun (made in China) has a solar panel and an instant-activation feature.

The Eotech (American made) might be sturdier, and the 512 and 522 have an optional "laser battery cover".

The gun and its accessories need to be simple, durable, and easy-to-use (intuitive). I don't have any soldiers or veterans in my family, so they won't have the training and experience that a soldier would bring to the table.

Here's the gun (Micro Draco) in an earlier stage:

View attachment 683363

View attachment 683362

View attachment 683361
I own both and actually recommend the holosun (500 series has the eotech ring reticle) over the eotech for anything that isn't long range shooting. The holosun and eotech are both equally extremely crisp red dots even for people with astigmatism.
The holosun is 2 moa, but has a 50-100k battery life if you go solar and has the auto turn on for competition and home defense.
The eotech has the convenience of using 2 AA batteries but has a manual buttons, and requires extra gapping if you have a magnifier, which you should to take advantage of the 1 moa dot. It has a short battery life and a star Galaxy ring rather than a crisp holosun ring. The other eotech compact and lighter models tend to be more expensive.
I'd recommend the eotech for a torture test but other than that I personally only use it for long range. It has a massive view window but that combat feature doesn't matter if you have to manually turn it on with such a short battery life.

If you're an impatient man, that contemplates suicide when a defective lemon arrives once in a while then you can go eotech as I don't think they will ever ship out a defective one. Holosun a may ship out a lemon which they will replace for free at an extra 1-2 weeks if you do get a lemon.

I own both and actually recommend the holosun (500 series has the eotech ring reticle) over the eotech for anything that isn't long range shooting. The holosun and eotech are both equally extremely crisp red dots even for people with astigmatism.
The holosun is 2 moa, but has a 50-100k battery life if you go solar and has the auto turn on for competition and home defense.
The eotech has the convenience of using 2 AA batteries but has a manual buttons, and requires extra gapping if you have a magnifier, which you should to take advantage of the 1 moa dot. It has a short battery life and a star Galaxy ring rather than a crisp holosun ring. The other eotech compact and lighter models tend to be more expensive.
I'd recommend the eotech for a torture test but other than that I personally only use it for long range. It has a massive view window but that combat feature doesn't matter if you have to manually turn it on with such a short battery life.

If you're an impatient man, that contemplates suicide when a defective lemon arrives once in a while then you can go eotech as I don't think they will ever ship out a defective one. Holosun a may ship out a lemon which they will replace for free at an extra 1-2 weeks if you do get a lemon.

Heh. Fortunately, I'm a very patient man.

Thanks for your input. I eventually saved up and got both brands.

I like the Eotech & magnifier, but the Holosun will be much easier for a family member to use - even if I'm not around to help them.

Eotech
It is battle proven and American made
I've had one on my M1A Bush rifle for 10 years and the only thing its ever needed was new batteries and I have no idea how many thousand rounds I've put through it in classes or range shooting or plinking in the sticks.
The only sight I prefer over it is an ACOG.
If you can swing paying for the Eotech, do it.

eta HJoly cow I didn't realize how old this thread was:eek:

Oh well, I still stand by what I said

Heh. Fortunately, I'm a very patient man.

Thanks for your input. I eventually saved up and got both brands.

I like the Eotech & magnifier, but the Holosun will be much easier for a family member to use - even if I'm not around to help them.
you know you can run the magnifier behind the Holosun too.....

I sold my 3 Aimpoints and 2 ACOGs some while ago, ( you can probably search for the ads ), replaced them with Holosun dots and Sig Prisms- zero regrets, better usability, ( clarity of dot//reticle and shake awake etc). 1 malfunctioning Holosun 507, replaced very quickly with the newer version, no questions asked.
They've been dropped, banged around, still going strong.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top