JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I own both, and I think Eotech would be the better of the two choices. I don't like Eotech's because they don't have the ridiculously long battery life of Aimpoints, and I don't particularly like the buttons you have to push in order to turn it on. I really don't like having to push the buttons many times to adjust the brightness settings. I much prefer Aimpoint's knob turning style. Easier and faster to set than an Eotech, and it doesn't turn off on it's own after an hour or so.

Wherein, I think the MRO has an advantage over the Eotech since it too has the knob style power switch. Much easier to set. Unfortunately it also has a very slight magnification to it, it isn't a true 1x power. It is just enough magnification to annoy my OCD is all. And coupled with the smaller FOV compared to the Eotech, I think that is why Eotech comes slightly ahead.

Frankly, I much prefer Aimpoints (M3/ML3) over either Eotech or MRO. I am slowly transitioning all of my 1x red dots to Aimpoints now. Eotechs may still have a better FOV to help keep up the situational awareness, but other than that I think Aimpoint does everything else better.

I have no experience with the micro sized Aimpoints other than it's apparently the new hotness for compact 1x optics.

I have owned both. I prefer the MRO. But both are good red dots. It's just comes down to personal preference between the two. I found that the EOtech messed with my astigmatism more. I don't magnify them, I prefer a variable for that. I don't find the tint of the to be MRO a issue,

Also, I just checked specs and the Eotech is almost 3x the weight of the MRO.

EXPS2 : 11.2 oz
MRO : 4.1 oz

I suppose that is also something to consider.. that seems like a pretty big difference. Can anyone confirm if the Eotech feels that much heavier than the MRO when mounted?

and I don't particularly like the buttons you have to push in order to turn it on. I really don't like having to push the buttons many times to adjust the brightness settings. I much prefer Aimpoint's knob turning style. Easier and faster to set than an Eotech, and it doesn't turn off on it's own after an hour or so.

Yep, forgot to add...can't stand buttons...for the above reasons...then add gloves to the mix, if you wear them.

If you go Holosun, go with the 503R...the only model without buttons...same with the Vortex Crossfire...no buttons. Buttons do not belong on a hard use optic...my opinion from years in the field hunting the two legged animals.

I suppose that is also something to consider.. that seems like a pretty big difference. Can anyone confirm if the Eotech feels that much heavier than the MRO when mounted?

Yeah Eotechs are Chonky compared to the new hotness micro red dots of today. Whether or not the ounces matter to you is personal taste. I'm not doing any LRRPs so I go for heavy duty quality that gives me good FOV. Hence why I like the older generation Aimpoints (M2/M3/ML2/ML3/Patrol). I'd like to try the newer smaller ones but the price is so expensive when I can get the older gens for around $300ish. But I'm also a cloner whore.

Honestly I'm onto the LPVO train for any of my modern Gucci builds. Turns out I like magnification over fixed 1x. The prices of quality Leupold 1.5 - 4x are so good you may want to look at them.

Yeah Eotechs are Chonky compared to the new hotness micro red dots of today. Whether or not the ounces matter to you is personal taste. I'm not doing any LRRPs so I go for heavy duty quality that gives me good FOV. Hence why I like the older generation Aimpoints (M2/M3/ML2/ML3/Patrol). I'd like to try the newer smaller ones but the price is so expensive when I can get the older gens for around $300ish. But I'm also a cloner whore.

Honestly I'm onto the LPVO train for any of my modern Gucci builds. Turns out I like magnification over fixed 1x. The prices of quality Leupold 1.5 - 4x are so good you may want to look at them.
Thank you. I've never tried a LPVO but I am open to seeing what it's like. Most all of my training is under 100 yards. In fact the only time I am able to stretch shots out past 100 yards is if we specifically take a trip out somewhere there's enough space to do so, which is maybe once a year. (Hopefully 2-3 times a year in the future). But for now almost all training has been close range. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to do more shooting at distance, I just don't have the location for it or know where's a good spot nearby. Still getting familiar with local PNW BLM land.

Would you say you suggest an LPVO for shooters who typically don't shoot past 100 yards?

Aimpoint Mircos are my RDS of choice so between the two I'd take an MRO and did put one atop of a Scalarworks mount on my girls SIONICS 16" LW AR. The MRO wins hands down in weight, battery life and size (MRO: 2.6 in x 1.7 in x 2 in vs. EXPS2: 3.8" x 2.3" x 2.9"). The single dot works fine and the sight is tough. And given the drama around Eotech I'll pass.
EOTech Defective Gun Sights Class Action Lawsuit - The Class Action News

It's a huge difference and at that point you may as well take advantage of the increased capability of a LPVO. My Kahles K16i weighs 16.9oz.

And yeah, buttons suck, no thanks.

Holosuns are out for me as I go out of my way not to support our Chinese enemies.

Last Edited:
Thank you. I've never tried a LPVO but I am open to seeing what it's like. Most all of my training is under 100 yards. In fact the only time I am able to stretch shots out past 100 yards is if we specifically take a trip out somewhere there's enough space to do so, which is maybe once a year. (Hopefully 2-3 times a year in the future). But for now almost all training has been close range. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to do more shooting at distance, I just don't have the location for it or know where's a good spot nearby. Still getting familiar with local PNW BLM land.

Would you say you suggest an LPVO for shooters who typically don't shoot past 100 yards?

Imagine having to plant a round in an eye socket in critical no miss situation at 50 yards. ;)
Masked Man Gun Hiding Image & Photo (Free Trial) | Bigstock

Last Edited:
Looking through the MRO with both eyes open makes me nauseous because of the slight magnification which is one of the chief complaints about it, and the Eotech is heavy, eats through batteries quickly, and can be temperature sensitive.

Therefore, Aimpoint Micro T-2 for the WIN! (with Scalarworks Leap mount, of course)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top