JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why the small 9mm? When you can go with the best, 45 acp.

It's purely for ammo cost. I plan on doing a lot of shooting and trying to stockpile what I can as well, just for preparedness' sake.

The 9mm will stop a bad guy just as well with correct bullet placement and allow me to do it a lot cheaper than with the 45.

I've been purchasing quite a few full size/compact steel frame pistols the last couple years. You can get quite a few great deals on steel framed pistols in your range. I've shot the 92 quite a bit and carried one in the Marines. Back then I thought it was great, but there are some better designs that are more compact and just as reliable. I have a EAA, CZ75, Baby Eagle and Armalite 24. Out of all of them I prefer the Baby Eagle. It's a little heavier, but I find the follow up shots are much easier even though it's a compact vs the rest being full size. The steel framed Baby Eagles aren't in production anymore through DE but you can still find unfired versions for a great price on GB, etc. The EAA is my least favorite and I doubt I would pick one up again and if I sold any firearms it would be the first to go.

The Armalite gave me some feeding issues in the first 100 or so rounds but it has been flawless the last 800 rounds. Finding accessories for the Armalite and BE hasn't been easiest. If I was in your place I would get a nice used CZ (or new - depends on the deal/budget) and call it a day. The quality on the CZ is better than any of the others I've listed and magazines aren't a pain to get a hold of. Not only that but you can get a new one in the configuration you want.

One other steel frame in your budget would be a Hi-Power. I haven't found the right deal on one yet but I've shot them and they are pretty fantastic.

To the OP +1 on shot placement. 9 v 45 is no different than high hp + heavy car v lower hp + lighter car. I don't care which it is just give me the best shooter/driver and that's your winner.

my vote goes to the eaa witness, have a couple in .45, a compact and a full size. Accurate and never fails to function. What more could you ask?

IMHO Bersa products are crap

Everyone here has mentioned lots of great options. Here's one nobody listed... sometimes you can find Police trade-in S&W 5906's. Pretty good, solid pistol.

For real bang for your buck look for a astra a90 or a-100 40sw hols 13 rds 9mm holds 15 or 17rds depending on mag they are almost the same as sig except astra has a steel frame and sig has aluminum you can find them in pawn shops GB etc.. they go between 200 to 400 they have a bull barrell, decock just like sig and is a good gun that goes an goes the company went belly up in the 90s they also made llama and firestars all steel parts not crap if taken care of propely your great grand kids still could use it if they can still own it...... Wont cost a arm and a leg

Just get a Rock Island Tactical 1911 from Sarco Inc. The final price (gun, shipping, ffl fees) will be about $450 and you'll have what you would have been searching for while trying out sigs and hk's. This will save you time and money. You could get a .22lr conversion for about $200 too to keep ammo costs down.

The beretta 92's are my favorite 9mm's to shoot and make great HD and range guns, but they are gigantic. You can find used ones for under $400 if you look for awhile. But you will eventually shoot a 1911 and wonder why you didn't get one in the first place.

my vote goes to the eaa witness, have a couple in .45, a compact and a full size. Accurate and never fails to function. What more could you ask?

Agreed! The Witness is a great CZ clone. In addition, since you like the P226 so much, check out the EAA EZ9/EZ40. It's a Zastava CZ99 imported by EAA.

If you don't want to take an internet forum guy's opinion, here's American Handgunner's cover story on it:

Feature: EAA's EZ9 Auto

If you can spend a bit more than that (400-550 range), I'd very much suggest any CZ firearm. SP-01, P-06, P-07, or 75 are all amazing. The triggers on the SP-01 might need some work, but it's well worth it.

I am sure everyone is correct from all the above ideas, directions, opinions.
Well I have to take an exception to "how bad a Stoeger Cougar is". I have have shot over 1900rds using all the cheapest brands of ammo without a FTF or FTE or any issue.

For those who are not aware, Beretta Cougar was NATO certified for 10 years. That means over 30,000 rounds without a failure. I have heard others have shot a Cougar over 100k without a failure.
Beretta didn't market this gun and it was priced in the high $500's back in 1992. Yup Glock showed up as well. Anyway, Stoeger started making the Cougar after Beretta transfered all the CNC machines to make Cougars in Turkey.

Why Cougar? It is an all metal pistol, 15rds of 9mm, 32 oz, compact,a chrome barrel, rotating barrel to help with recoil, DA/SA, external safety, grip design is the most natural feeling gun I have ever held and the gun just fits. This adds to the quick on target sighting, and it is of Beretta's quality.
Now available in several color combinations at Cabelas. Here in PDX, Keith and Fishermans marine supply are stocking dealers and there maybe others I am not aware.

At $400 or a little more, you can have a great tool for personal protection.

:s0155:

This looks interesting.
<broken link removed>

19+1 for 10mm and .40 cal, 14 for .45 and 21 for the 9mm.

SAR K2 .45 looks to have been around for a bit.
<broken link removed>

Looks like Turkish review on the .45, good pics starting post #37
K2 45

Okay guys, I'll play ball on your 1911 suggestions. :)

There's definitely an appeal to a system that has been proven to work for almost a full century now.

Couple of questions/concerns/whatevers:

1. Caliber: Sticking to my guns presently regarding 9mm. Any recommendations in that regard?

2. Capacity: one of the big cons for the 1911 I've run across is the relatively low capacity. Granted, there's the line of though that 1911 afficianados make similar to revolver guys along the lines of, "dude, in what real world situation are you going to need umpteen rounds?" I suppose that you never know and I feel more comfortable having a weapon on me that's got a higher capacity.

And this final question isn't strictly 1911 related, so consider it separately I suppose...

3. Actions: The DA/SA seems like it has both a lot of extra knobs and buttons and switches to worry about along with that pesky dual trigger pull that a SA (1911) or DAO seem like attractive alternatives for a personal defense gun. What is your guys' expert advice in that regard?

EDIT/UPDATE: A cursory Google search seemed to indicate my only options for a 9mm high cap / double stack 1911 are Para and STI - and that the STI's a really the only way to go there (but seem to be way, way, way the heck out of my price range). Your guys' thoughts?

Caliber: Sticking to my guns presently regarding 9mm. Any recommendations in that regard?

Rock Island makes a 9mm 1911

Capacity: one of the big cons for the 1911 I've run across is the relatively low capacity.

Rock Island also makes a HI-Cap that holds 14rnds

Actions: The DA/SA seems like it has both a lot of extra knobs and buttons

I personally carry a DA/SA for outside of the home, but for home defense I use a SA 1911. My opinion is that you will need to just become comfortable w/ whatever action you decide to go with. No matter what type of firearm it will take some time to become confident w/ possibly using it in the dark of night, or be able to operate some of the controls w/ out looking. It's a matter of preference. I like the DA for carry use (i can keep one in chamber w/ hammer down and just pull trigger if needed) For home defense i keep my 1911 in "condition 1"

Again this is MY preference. I think these answers will just come w/ being exposed to firearms and finding out what YOU like and don't like.

Good Luck

My first semi auto was and still is a stoger couger. Stogie has been great for me and as I now have a few more pistols it's nice to have one that I'm not afraid to put that 1970's corrosive yogoslavian ammo thru. easy to clean, I have not had blueing issues with mine as I have not used it as a carry piece. Good luck and have fun with it!

Okay guys, I'll play ball on your 1911 suggestions. :)

There's definitely an appeal to a system that has been proven to work for almost a full century now.

Couple of questions/concerns/whatevers:

1. Caliber: Sticking to my guns presently regarding 9mm. Any recommendations in that regard?

2. Capacity: one of the big cons for the 1911 I've run across is the relatively low capacity. Granted, there's the line of though that 1911 afficianados make similar to revolver guys along the lines of, "dude, in what real world situation are you going to need umpteen rounds?" I suppose that you never know and I feel more comfortable having a weapon on me that's got a higher capacity.

And this final question isn't strictly 1911 related, so consider it separately I suppose...

3. Actions: The DA/SA seems like it has both a lot of extra knobs and buttons and switches to worry about along with that pesky dual trigger pull that a SA (1911) or DAO seem like attractive alternatives for a personal defense gun. What is your guys' expert advice in that regard?

EDIT/UPDATE: A cursory Google search seemed to indicate my only options for a 9mm high cap / double stack 1911 are Para and STI - and that the STI's a really the only way to go there (but seem to be way, way, way the heck out of my price range). Your guys' thoughts?

Still would love to hear you 1911 fans' input on all this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top