JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Aaaahhh. Gotcha.

So from just a cursory web search it seems there's been a couple different companies importing the gun. Are the guns marked differently, or do they all just have the IMI stamping and marks?

Whats the breakdown on the Baby Eagle v. the CZ its based on? Chevy/Ford or is there some substantial pros & cons in play?

Actually it's the same company, IMI was the original name of the company that started the Jericho 941 line, essentially a Baby Eagle that either came stock as 9mm only or in a kit with both barrels/magazines for 9mm and .41AE.

IMI expanded with the advent of the Desert Eagle and became a wholly owned subsidary of IMI and was branded Magnum Research.

A couple of the Zastava pistols imported by EAA would also be good choices too, if you're on a budget.

For example the M88, which is a more modern, smaller version of the well-known Tokarev pistol. Generally very well-regarded. It's however a single stack, single action pistol. In any case, they're available NIB for something like $240-$270 if you know where to look.

If you want higher capacity and a DA/SA trigger, there's also the Zastava EZ9, which is something of a Sig copy, they're also good guns, and sell for $350 (but I've seen them go for a bit less).

The CZ pistols and all their clones are great guns, but finding accessories can be a pain. I'd suggest the Beretta 92a1 or M9. They are about $600 new, and have alot of aftermarket support.

The CZ pistols and all their clones are great guns, but finding accessories can be a pain.
I gotta agree with Hammer here. I own a CZ P-06 (essentially an updated slightly compact version of the CZ 75 but in .40) absolutely great gun, reliable accurate, soft shooting for a .40 cal. Only downside has been finding accessories. But for a range / house gun I don't think that is much of a drawback. All you'll need are a couple of mags.

I gotta agree with Hammer here. I own a CZ P-06 (essentially an updated slightly compact version of the CZ 75 but in .40) absolutely great gun, reliable accurate, soft shooting for a .40 cal. Only downside has been finding accessories. But for a range / house gun I don't think that is much of a drawback. All you'll need are a couple of mags.

Really? I had an old pre-B and I never had trouble finding accessories. Spare parts can be bought directly from CZ-USA (just give 'em a call), magazines by Mec-Gar (best magazine company ever) are available everywhere, and there are tons of nice grips around to choose from. I had some sexy cocobolo grips.

Dunno about the P-06 in particular though...

The CZ pistols and all their clones are great guns, but finding accessories can be a pain...

Mind elaborating on that some? Not sure what accessories I'd be looking for other than a laser, but the SP-01 version of the CZ has a rail, so what would be the issue there?

EDIT: The CZ SP-01 has a manual safety, while the SP-01 Tactical has a decocker. You old hands mind given the young guy a breakdown on that?

I had a little trouble locating an OC holster here in PDX area. Eventually found the Blackhawk Serpa for the USP Compact fit my P-06 perfectly. The P-01, P-06 and SP-01 should all work as the only external dimensional difference between them is the length. If you end up with one of these guns and want this holster let me know as I no longer use it.
Finding mags that will flush fit my P-06 has proven impossible. Perhaps they are no longer made. This will not however be an issue in the 9mm guns. I only mention it because shipping the wrong mags back and forth from Kansas and having Gun Broker do the same proved time consuming and frustrating. It is a great example of difficult support. By the way both CZ-USA and Gun Broker were great throughout my attempts they just couldn't seem to get me what I wanted.
Decocker model lacks a traditional safety. Instead where the safety would be there is a lever that "decocks" the gun from racked and ready to fire in single action mode down to a "safer" to carry but still ready to fire in double action mode.

I had a little trouble locating an OC holster here in PDX area. Eventually found the Blackhawk Serpa for the USP Compact fit my P-06 perfectly. The P-01, P-06 and SP-01 should all work as the only external dimensional difference between them is the length. If you end up with one of these guns and want this holster let me know as I no longer use it.
Finding mags that will flush fit my P-06 has proven impossible. Perhaps they are no longer made. This will not however be an issue in the 9mm guns. I only mention it because shipping the wrong mags back and forth from Kansas and having Gun Broker do the same proved time consuming and frustrating. It is a great example of difficult support. By the way both CZ-USA and Gun Broker were great throughout my attempts they just couldn't seem to get me what I wanted.
Decocker model lacks a traditional safety. Instead where the safety would be there is a lever that "decocks" the gun from racked and ready to fire in single action mode down to a "safer" to carry but still ready to fire in double action mode.

If you have ever been to the CZ forum, one of the most highly recommended holster makers is this guy: Hazel Leather

Also, don't P-01/PCR mags fit in your gun? I don't know all the differences between the P-06 and P-01, but there are plenty of mec-gar P-01 mags around.

If you have ever been to the CZ forum, one of the most highly recommended holster makers is this guy: Hazel Leather

Also, don't P-01/PCR mags fit in your gun? I don't know all the differences between the P-06 and P-01, but there are plenty of mec-gar P-01 mags around.

I've been to the CZ Forum. Have located plenty of holsters avail through the mail. My agreement with Hammer was relative to other brands for which you can find accessories off the shelf at places here in town.

Mags for P-01 and PCR fit my gun but hold the wrong size ammo. P-06 is exactly the same as the P-01 except it is .40 cal. Ordered Mec-Gar and CZ mags they all fit and work but don't flush fit to the frame.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm trying to talk him into getting a CZ. I think they're great guns. Just trying to keep OP fully informed as to all the aspects of this decision.

Last Edited:
Take a look at the Ruger P series (P93, P94) it will be used but many to be found in good condition at a good price. A well built pistol, fun to shoot and manufactured by well respected firearm company

Well built?
Like a tank.

Not as refined as some others, but fantastic first pistol purchase.
(my first was a p89 stainless in 9mm)

The CZs are really nice as well.

For home defence, I'd recommend AGAINST a single action.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but can you explain the comparison of the SP-01 (fullsize) to the P-06/01's (compacts)?

SP-01 is longer in both barrel and grip frame but I believe it will fit the same holster due to same width and other open ended holster critical dimensions. I'm not really sure about SP-01 but I know the P-06/01 are the same. The SP-01 appears to be the full size competition / tacticool version of this new sub-platform.

All I'm saying is that if he did buy a CZ, he might have trouble finding spare mags, and a holster on a local shelf. I'm not knocking CZ, I think they are great guns. I'm just giving him food for thought. The reason I suggested Beretta, is because I know for a fact that Fisherman's, Keith's, and Wholesale Sports carry spare mags, and holsters for these guns.

I have been looking around at used beretta 92 for my brothers wife been finding quite a few in the $300 range in great shape (I also keep finding a lot of slides? why so many slides for sale where did their frame go?)
92 is nice, I wouldn't want one for a CC gun due to large size, but balance well and shoot well.

Free advice......

Buy a decent handgun. Stay away from the cheap knock-offs. You will spend more money feeding your gun than you paid for it if you shoot it enough to be proficient.

Unless you are committed to the 9mm, I would recommend getting a decent 1911 style .45 auto.

Simple operation. Easy to maintain. Reasonably accurate.

Single stack magazine makes for a fairly slender frame. Easier to carry.

Makes a BIG hole.

I really don't understand why anyone needs a 15 round mag for self defense. Works out to about fourteen lawyers and one District Attorney. :(

How about the Sig P6? They're available as used surplus guns for something like $330 and are basically the same thing as the P225. They'll have some finish wear but are otherwise really quite nice.

I really like my Beretta 92 but did consider a CZ or Baby Eagle as I too prefer steel framed. The Beretta decision was for a SHTF scenario then there would be spare parts that could be found lying around easier than others.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top