JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
MikeE,

Not to get away from the main topic, but you can have the LCR and others set up for moonclips to reduce/eliminate speedloader fumbling.

Have you used this system? Does it make 6+ revolver reloads smoother?
I still think 5-shot works best for me, but am curious about your experience.

I'm the sort of person who ends up dumping rounds from a speed loader just before they reach the cylinder.

Some years ago a PC 627 V-comp 8 shot with moon clips right from the factory followed me home. I liked the idea so much that I had my 686+ converted and an M66. Moonclips are compact and all the rounds being handled as a unit makes loading and unloading the cylinder slick. The moonclips plus rounds is also a compact package easy to throw in a pocket,etc.

Once set up for moonclips you can load with speedloaders, individual rounds or moonclips. All work fine.
I am thinking about either an LCR or 642. I will have it converted to using moonclips.

The single downside to moonclips is that there is no industry standard for the size of the groove ahead of the rim where the moonclip attaches. Because of this some brass will not work. TK Custom (moonclips.com) offers two thicknesses for different brass.

Thanks for the continued replies, everyone. Still very interested in the Model 10 police guns. It's true that I would probably need larger grips, though. How uncomfortable are those wooden grips for someone with average-sized man hands?

To the Charter Arms Undercover owners: How pleasant are those things to shoot? Sounds like they are pretty lightweight...

Thanks for the continued replies, everyone. Still very interested in the Model 10 police guns. It's true that I would probably need larger grips, though. How uncomfortable are those wooden grips for someone with average-sized man hands?

To the Charter Arms Undercover owners: How pleasant are those things to shoot? Sounds like they are pretty lightweight...

RE: Grips, For me, having the originals is just cool. If they're too small for me I'd get some Houge's and shoot the heck out of it. My smith .38 that I don't shoot much has an insert that fits in front of the original grips with metal tabs called a "Shure Grip Adapter" that makes it comfortable to shoot.

IMO, the small(er) carry guns don't make a good range gun, I like full sized, all metal. We've got an LC9 and an SP101, certainly not as "Fun" to shoot as a full size. A longer barrel is easier to aim accurately, and a light weight gun has more felt recoil, I call it "BITE". Just for the heck of it, see if you can find someone to let you shoot a couple of rounds of full power .357 through an SP101. LOL

You're gonna get hooked on this stuff, and will most likely end up with a small gun(or two), so you would still need to get proficient with the small gun when you get one.

Good luck getting the model 10!

Mike

Charter Arms Undercover 38+P and they come in a dozen different models and finishes. Cost under $400.00 I got mine for $329.00 Small light compact easyt o carry easy to conceal (not like that Glock or 1911) I can carry it in my front jeans pocket.

I can shoot 3" groups with it at 10 yards and hit the center of mass at 50 yards. Shoots best with lower velocity rounds and 125gr HP slugs the shot barrel doesn't give high velocity rounds a chance to burn all the powder and the accuarcy suffers for it.

Junk gun!

IMO, the small(er) carry guns don't make a good range gun, I like full sized, all metal. We've got an LC9 and an SP101, certainly not as "Fun" to shoot as a full size. A longer barrel is easier to aim accurately, and a light weight gun has more felt recoil, I call it "BITE". Just for the heck of it, see if you can find someone to let you shoot a couple of rounds of full power .357 through an SP101. LOL
So, are you saying the SP101 is not pleasant to shoot with .357 rounds? The SP101 is really high on my list, but I was thinking of getting it either in .327 or .38 spl since I have no interest in shooting .357 (see post below).

Thanks for your feedback, all! I am going back and forth between a S&W Model 10 used gun and a new Ruger SP101. I only hear good things about both types. Other S&W might be an option, but most of them seem quite a bit more expensive than what I want to spend. Two questions:

1. I just seem to have missed the used Model 10 sale (<$300) at Bud's. Does anyone know if they have used Model 10s pretty often, or is aware of other stores where I could get used one?

2. I would love to get the SP101 in .38 spl only (not .357). They seem to be harder to get than the ones chambered in .357 and .327. Has anyone seen 38 specials at a local store in the Portland area?

So, are you saying the SP101 is not pleasant to shoot with .357 rounds? The SP101 is really high on my list, but I was thinking of getting it either in .327 or .38 spl since I have no interest in shooting .357 (see post below).

Hogue monogrip makes shooting .357 or hot 38 +P loads easy in an SP101.

You can't go wrong with any of the recommendations in this thread. As others have said, you will be hard pressed to find a .38 spl. only pistol, but keep in mind that the .357 mag pistols cylinder is only about .25" longer than a .38 spl. revolver cylinder.

As a compromise between a 2" and 4" revolver, I am really fond of 3" concealed carry revolvers. They aren't really any harder to conceal than a 2" revolver and the extra inch in sighting plane makes more difference than you think it would. The only down side to 3" revolvers is you might have to search for a holster for one.

I really like the Ruger SP101 in 3". It's my go to carry piece in Fall or Winter if I'm wearing a decent cover garment and don't want to carry my full size 1911.

DSCN0758-1-1.jpg

What grips are those?

1. I just seem to have missed the used Model 10 sale (<$300) at Bud's. Does anyone know if they have used Model 10s pretty often, or is aware of other stores where I could get used one?

Keep shopping around for the used Smith. I have three Model 10s all purchased within the last six months on-line for $250, $250, and $225 after paying shipping, the FFL transfer fee and the OR background check. The first two were Ohio corrections trade ins and the last came in from out of the country somewhere. All three are in decent shape and have very smooth actions. I replaced all of the grips with Hogue monogrips (around $17 each). They're fun to shoot, my wife and daughters can handle them well and I can load up with +P if I want or down load them for range time.

The one caution I would give, if you buy a model 10 or any of the others mentioned here, it could get expensive. These things are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

That's an addiction I am willing to risk. :D May I ask you (and everyone else) where you bought your Model 10s from? Right now I only see a couple ones on auction sites, but those are very pricey or very old. J&G, Bud's etc. don't seem to have any left.

All three of mine came from two different dealers listing on GunBroker. I checked and they don't currently have any listings. When I was looking at my purchase records to get names I found nine, Model 10/Pre Model 10/Victory Model pistols currently listed all with bids at $250 or less. One listing was in the process of expiring with no bids at $200. Guns America has a listing for a Pre Model 10 for $220.

Another option besides the auction sites might be one of the larger gun shows in Portland. I've seen some good Smiths and Colts on the tables in the $200-300 range.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying (and how many).

Just ordered a used 3" Model 10 online - very excited! I was going for a Model 36, but with a 3" barrel, the Model 10 should be great. Thanks for all your help again, everyone!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top