JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What kind of rifle is it, and have you chronographed it to verify that it's actually capable of doing 900 FPS with a reasonably heavy weight pellet? If it's a spring piston rifle, don't bother, yeah, you might get lucky and make a clean kill, but chances are you'll only wound it.
I've taken other game in that size range with an air rifle, even a springer, but I used to shoot them a LOT, like at least an hour a day, pretty nearly every day. Now my primary air powered critter killer is a .25 caliber PCP putting out around 40 FPE, and capable of consistently picking off 9 out of 10 paint balls at my self imposed max killing distance of 50 yards.

Someone mentioned the CCI Quiet ammo, it's worth noting that that ammo is actually quieter than my air rifle, and produces about the same energy. If you go that route, don't bother with the Segmented HP version, I've tested it on water jugs against the regular bullet, it neither expanded or segmented. If you live in a residential area, trapping might be a better option, or maybe a call to Animal Control or your local Fish & Wildlife. I've been lucky, after more than 13 years of having chickens out in the boonies, I've only lost one bird to a predator, one of my banties got killed by a Redtailed Hawk last year. Wish I was closer, I'd loan you my .25. Good luck.

Dave

1. give the neighbors foamies and instruct them to wear them tonight. Don't explain why.

2. break out the .50 BMG

3. Done and done.

My previous neighbors when we were raising sheep were told that any gun shots in the middle of the night were no concern except to the neighborhood coyotes, or stray dogs chasing sheep. They all understood. Here, I'm surrounded by the retired government administrator class.

The 22lr cci quiet rounds advertise 710 muzzle velocity. I have removed two adult obese possums with absolutely no problems if that's any help. Recommended out of bolt or single shot though.

I just acquired a Ruger Single Six that could use those. The problem is finding them, or any other .22 ammo for sale.

Have a suppressor? What grain of 22cal pellets are moving at 900fps? My suppressed Ruger Precision Rimfire with standard velocity 40gr 22lr is quiet enough to not wake anyone inside if fired inside, lol. I sure wish I could lend it to you for a couple nights but these laws are protecting us, lol.
Are you talking from experience?

Yes, there's an automatic door on the coop. Uses light to sense when to open and close. But the fox is apparently picking them off either very early in the morning or very late in the evening.
Can you temporarily suspend the auto door? Give it a month and maybe the fox will move on, the chickens can wait an extra hour to free range.

I own a high power 22 breakbarrel and have chronographed mine and dont get the advertized velocity, which is at the muzzle... using a 14.3g pellet I get about 18ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. For comparison, a 22LR is about 131 ft/lbs at the muzzle. IMO the air gun isn't enough for a fox. Lots of things "can" be done but ethically I wouldn't take a shot unless I had confidence the shot was lethal. As an alternative I wonder if there are places like farm stores that rent live traps.

I just acquired a Ruger Single Six that could use those. The problem is finding them, or any other .22 ammo for sale.

Your a little ways away however, if you ever make it this way by the off chance I could give you enough to load that six a couple times and take care of him.

As other members have said a live trap may be a decent way to go. I don't know your experience with trapping. Foxes aren't as difficult as one would think though. Not like Wolves and yotes that will chew there leg off to get out of a foot hold if you leave them for to long.

Your a little ways away however, if you ever make it this way by the off chance I could give you enough to load that six a couple times and take care of him.

As other members have said a live trap may be a decent way to go. I don't know your experience with trapping. Foxes aren't as difficult as one would think though. Not like Wolves and yotes that will chew there leg off to get out of a foot hold if you leave them for to long.
I trapped for several years in the Ozarks. Mostly raccoon and fox. The hard part about fox trapping is finding out where they are going to step. A fox will pretty much use the same paths every day, sometimes several times a day. They don't leave much of a trail so it's mostly guess work. I've had some luck with a dirt hole set on fox and coyote, but mostly it's a blind set that gets them. I can't imagine getting one to go into a live trap. I've had coyotes detect my dirt hole set, dig it out and trip it by turning it upside down, and then pee on it. They are sarcastic suckers. But this is not the place for a leg hold trap. Catch one of the neighboring Karens' cats and there'd be hell to pay. Better to keep surveillance on this fox and find out what his schedule is. I know what trails he's using now. A good spotlight and a .22 short or similar is the best bet right now.

This was drinking out of our fountain next to the house tonight. Too bad I live inside the city limits.

4079A889-C233-434E-965F-86935BEC7F0A.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads