JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have figured out why I've had a couple of chickens disappear.
Fox030421-8.JPG

I don't want to disturb the neighbors in the middle of the night with a gunshot. I have a 900 fps .22 cal pellet rifle. You think thats enough for a ~10 lb fox?

Note: The date is wrong because I changed batteries in the trail cam and forgot to reset the date.

Last Edited:
Have a suppressor? What grain of 22cal pellets are moving at 900fps? My suppressed Ruger Precision Rimfire with standard velocity 40gr 22lr is quiet enough to not wake anyone inside if fired inside, lol. I sure wish I could lend it to you for a couple nights but these laws are protecting us, lol.

That fox is a really smart anamal and will not return if you put a hurt on him.

I am a hunter and don't want a critical injury on an anamal but a little bit of pain will definitely turn an anamal around.

A 22 rifle with some of those Super Colibri rounds sound like a BB gun... I actually have a TacSol suppressed upper for a Mk3 in jail right now for discreet backyard interventions just like this...

The 22lr cci quiet rounds advertise 710 muzzle velocity. I have removed two adult obese possums with absolutely no problems if that's any help. Recommended out of bolt or single shot though.

Here's a great page re: hunting with a pellet gun.

Me, I'd say, "no". I can't see even a .22 Magnum pellet gun doing a humane kill at any distance much beyond point-blank accurate (of that size animal).

You might be getting 25FPE at the barrel, 30 with a magnum .22. Using about 18gr pellets. You can go a lot heavier, "slugs" even, get it up into the 30s, fine for close-in and if you're gun will push them out.

Perhaps practice on smaller game? Some squirrels or rabbits bothering you, etc. See how that goes and move up the food-chain maybe.

Me, I'd say for a mid-size critter, and wanna keep it quiet, there's probably better ways than to shoot it.

But I'm not a hunter (nothing against it mind ya), so I resign to the better experienced.

huntingFPEchart001.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads