JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is it just me or is this thread title is just begging for a sarcastic reply? No offence daiello 91, I'm sure cougars around schools are getting to be a problem.
Glad the kid is O.K.!

Does Oregon Have A Cougar Problem?
Define 'problem'
Even with the doubling (or more) of Cougars in the State of Oregon since the 1980's there are considerably less occurrences of attacks on people by them than say attacks by Illegal Immigrants on people during this same time frame. I am thinking we need to be more specific as to what species requires more 'action' taken.

Lurid article headline:
Enough Deception – Does Oregon Have A Cougar Problem? YES!
Followed by article of California Cougar incidents.

Who is deceiving whom?

If I recall, California DFG changed to DFW
California DFW banned hunting cats and bears with dogs, wasn't "fair".
Oregon copied California, no chasing cats n bears with dogs.
Now, too many cats n bears n wolves n coyotes for their natural range.
So, cats n bears n coyote youngsters get kicked outta the nest,
only place to go is METRO! Home of kitties, puppies, long pig, yummie.
Metro, meet your new neighbors! And, they are HUNGRY!

Problem? (opportunity, if you look at the other side).

Stupid tree huggers...

Lurid article headline:
Enough Deception – Does Oregon Have A Cougar Problem? YES!
Followed by article of California Cougar incidents.

Who is deceiving whom?
If I recall, California DFG changed to DFW
California DFW banned hunting cats and bears with dogs, wasn't "fair".
Oregon copied California, no chasing cats n bears with dogs.
Now, too many cats n bears n wolves n coyotes for their natural range.
So, cats n bears n coyote youngsters get kicked outta the nest,
only place to go is METRO! Home of kitties, puppies, long pig, yummie.
Metro, meet your new neighbors! And, they are HUNGRY!

Problem? (opportunity, if you look at the other side).

Stupid tree huggers...

The article makes a logical connection between the two, no deception.

California has banned cougar hunting completely.

Last Edited:
I agree completely. Lots of people are doing quite well hunting them with traditional predator calling techniques.

Some, yes, but it's a very small percentage of cougars taken. The overwhelming majority are taken by chance while hunting another species.

At this point, the best thing the ODFW could do to restore deer herds would be return to issuing hound hunting permits. Someone recently pointed out how many pounds of meat predators need daily to remain healthy, and the numbers, when applied to the over 6,000 cougars in Oregon, are astonishing.

Some, yes, but it's a very small percentage of cougars taken. The overwhelming majority are taken by chance while hunting another species.

Hunter success rates without hounds are around 1%, according to ODFW. With hounds it was about 80%.

Since the ban on hound hunting, deer populations in Oregon have dropped 25%. Prior to the ban, deer populations were steady. Those 3000 extra cougar are eating an additional 150,000 deer per year.

Bring back hound hunting and solve a whole bunch of problems.

Problem:

BoringCougar1.jpg

Solution:

BoomerLookupsm.jpg

I am not sure we have correctly identified the problem. We can bring back hunting with dogs but that won't have taught anybody anything. I say trap the cats and release them in Forest Park. Then we can all advocate for protecting the cats while the other side rethinks their position.

I think we should start a "Save the Norway Rat" group. We can advocate for the abolition of trapping and baiting Norway rats in Portland and other cities around the country. The city is the rat's natural and historic habitat, and human beings have callously wiped them out in their native habitat using cowardly methods like killer traps and poison. Sadly, rats have been hunted down with dogs, which tear them apart while their little hearts are still beating. Some have even shot rats for "sport". These "sport" hunters are the worst of all.

We would need to educate the public though. The prejudice against this noble creature is disgusting. Rats are called "vermin", and people think they are dirty and spread disease. This is just the propaganda proliferated by the exterminator industry. In reality, rats are cute and cuddly, and are more afraid of you than you are of them. If rats have invaded your pantry and your attic you have to realize that they were here first. It's you who are the interloper. Human beings should not reproduce if it takes habitat away from noble wild species who need it to survive. After all, rats are just as valuable as people.

At this point, the best thing the ODFW could do to restore deer herds would be return to issuing hound hunting permits. Someone recently pointed out how many pounds of meat predators need daily to remain healthy, and the numbers, when applied to the over 6,000 cougars in Oregon, are astonishing.
ODFW biologist estimate 1.5 deer, calfs and or fawns per week per cougar with a population of around 6500 cougar. no wonder you don't see game everywhere anymore. one suggestion to ODFW was issuing a free cougar tag to every person who purchases a hunting license.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top