JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry I guess I'm just not understanding the hoopla of it. Buying a suppressor is the same hoops and cost and nobody seems to complain about that.
Cost benefit ratio, Supressor makes your gun alot quieter, SBR makes your gun a little shorter, also you can travel interstate with suppressors, you can't do that with SBRs. Supressors can also go on a manual loading firearm an SBR is whatever it is and if they ban Semi-Autos you're directly connected to that rifle.

Sorry I guess I'm just not understanding the hoopla of it. Buying a suppressor is the same hoops and cost and nobody seems to complain about that.
To try to make this a little more simple if that's what it takes. Pretend the ATF decided you could buy a "tube" that worked as a suppressor, but they did not call it a suppressor. So now anyone could just buy one and start using it. No NFA hoops. Of course the market would explode people buying one since it would be fun. Now the ATF comes along and says, ok no more, have to go back to doing it the old way. File the forms and pay for each one you want. Some people may have had a few of these. Suddenly a LOT less people are going to run out and want to buy one now.
The "brace" made it possible to basically have an SBR with no jumping through hoops and paying $200 for each one. When this goes away a hell of a lot of people will not want to buy a few or even one of these. I am starting to think you can't possibly really be unable to understand this. Looks like we are feeding a troll here. Maybe not, some are pretty slow. :s0092:

To try to make this a little more simple if that's what it takes. Pretend the ATF decided you could buy a "tube" that worked as a suppressor, but they did not call it a suppressor. So now anyone could just buy one and start using it. No NFA hoops. Of course the market would explode people buying one since it would be fun. Now the ATF comes along and says, ok no more, have to go back to doing it the old way. File the forms and pay for each one you want. Some people may have had a few of these. Suddenly a LOT less people are going to run out and want to buy one now.
The "brace" made it possible to basically have an SBR with no jumping through hoops and paying $200 for each one. When this goes away a hell of a lot of people will not want to buy a few or even one of these. I am starting to think you can't possibly really be unable to understand this. Looks like we are feeding a troll here. Maybe not, some are pretty slow. :s0092:
I understand his point regarding paperwork for silencer as comparatively the same for paperwork for SBR, but I think where the disconnect is, is that a lot of people who own braces for pistols do not own silencers, (I'd even confidently say the majority of brace owners don't own silencers) so if the pistol with a brace becomes an SBR, the entire interest is dead.

I personally would not own braced pistols if they were never legal and if the SBR was the only option. F - the ATF for being able to simply decree something that was sold legally, with permission from the ATF, to then be considered illegal.

Can you explain further for me? Is it more hoops than buying a rifle? I guess I'm just not knowledgeable on this subject but I thought I could just get the stamp and it's all good. In fact the benefit in getting an AR pistol and the stamp is that you can switch between the two. But you can't do that the other way around.
It is no big deal getting a stamp. You pay $200 and get a stamp and thats about the end of the drama.A minor paperwork thing once a year if you cross state lines, No big deal. The NFA has been in existence for almost 90 years.

Form 1's for an SBR have been running 2-3 weeks processing time not 3-18 months. Ive got 75 of the damned things. No big deal.

Last Edited:
It is no big deal getting a stamp. You pay $200 and get a stamp and thats about the end of the drama.A minor paperwork thing once a year if you cross state lines, No big deal. The NFA has been in existence for almost 90 years.

Form 1's for an SBR have been running 2-3 weeks processing time not 3-18 months. Ive got 75 of the damned things. No big deal.
No big deal, other than the fact that it is a gross infringement on our Second Amendment rights.

Also, just because the NFA has been around for the last 90 years, does not somehow qualify or justify its existence. That is the type of flawed logic that someone in the 1860s would have used to defend slavery. "It's been allowed for over a hundred years. I've got 75 of the damned things. No big deal."

as long as they don't inexplicably get turned down. (I have had 2 where they just denied them with no explanation and asking the experts did not respond.) But generally painless.

No big deal, other than the fact that it is a gross infringement on our Second Amendment rights.

Also, just because the NFA has been around for the last 90 years, does not somehow qualify or justify its existence. That is the type of flawed logic that someone in the 1860s would have used to defend slavery. "It's been allowed for over a hundred years. I've got 75 of the damned things. No big deal."
Suppressors are safety equipment, its insane that they are locked behind a piece of legislation that is approaching100 years old. In most Euro countries people are required to use Supressors when they are doing target practice or whatever

Suppressors are safety equipment, its insane that they are locked behind a piece of legislation that is approaching100 years old. In most Euro countries people are required to use Supressors when they are doing target practice or whatever
This will sound paranoid but I think the antis want shooting to be as noisy as possible so it irritates people and causes them to not like firearms. And maybe even cause neighbors of shooting ranges to try and have them shut down.

Yeah , just don't get a stamp you'll show them

This will sound paranoid but I think the antis want shooting to be as noisy as possible so it irritates people and causes them to not like firearms. And maybe even cause neighbors of shooting ranges to try and have them shut down.
I think it's more anywhere they can infringe the better. Most of them never consider what people do when they go shooting or buy a gun. They are fixed on the object itself. The object and any owners thereof are evil and of no consideration. Any knowledge of guns and gun ownership comes from movies and politicians - the two worst sources for accurate information known to Mankind.

I think it's more anywhere they can infringe the better. Most of them never consider what people do when they go shooting or buy a gun. They are fixed on the object itself. The object and any owners thereof are evil and of no consideration. Any knowledge of guns and gun ownership comes from movies and politicians - the two worst sources for accurate information known to Mankind.
I bet you would have a lot more firearm enthusist if everybody had suppressors. My boys were turned off shooting by the noise and concussion.

One of my daughters loves shooting because of the noise and the concussion. The other likes to shoot subsonic .22s with a suppressor.

Some of my suppressors just cut the sound to "not painful" while wearing ear plugs and ear muffs.

No big deal for some is a very big deal for others.

Beyond just the fact of making a lot of people retroactive felons for something they purchased legally and was approved by the same agency that now wants to make them illegal. Beyond putting the financial burden on law abiding citizens who must now pay tribute to the gods of AFT in order to not be imprisoned for owning previously legal goods. Beyond forcing another defacto registration scheme. Beyond overstepping congress to create laws. Beyond the continued destruction of rights. I guess it's no big deal.

No big deal for some is a very big deal for others.

Beyond just the fact of making a lot of people retroactive felons for something they purchased legally and was approved by the same agency that now wants to make them illegal. Beyond putting the financial burden on law abiding citizens who must now pay tribute to the gods of AFT in order to not be imprisoned for owning previously legal goods. Beyond forcing another defacto registration scheme. Beyond overstepping congress to create laws. Beyond the continued destruction of rights. I guess it's no big deal.
The problem that no one wants to admit is that the ATF created this problem in the first place by illegally allowing braces in the first place. Just because they screwed up about a decade ago doesn't mean they can't course correct. To those of us who have been doing this stuff for decades it's no surprise.

The problem that no one wants to admit is that the ATF created this problem in the first place by illegally allowing braces in the first place. Just because they screwed up about a decade ago doesn't mean they can't course correct. To those of us who have been doing this stuff for decades it's no surprise.
I think your corrected statement would be that politicians don't want to admit that the NFA was an illegal infringement and unconstitutional in the first place.

There is nothing illegal about wrist braces. This is overreach on their part. The NFA itself is illegal, but that's for another conversation.

I think your corrected statement would be that politicians don't want to admit that the NFA was an illegal infringement and unconstitutional in the first place.
No, I don't have to say that because the supreme Court ruled it legal along time ago, decades ago. I live in the real world and in the real world we have to comply with supreme Court rulings about what is constitutional and not constitutional whether you believe it or not

No, I don't have to say that because the supreme Court ruled it legal along time ago, decades ago. I live in the real world and in the real world we have to comply with supreme Court rulings about what is constitutional and not constitutional whether you believe it or not
"the supreme Court ruled it legal along time ago, decades ago"

If the SC overturns Roe v Wade, were abortion laws always constitutional, never constitutional, or only constitutional for a few years?

Tell me, what does the real world look like??

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top