JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do we have to engrave name and location on gun when applying for SBR under the new rule?

Does it have to be the owners name that is engraved or can it be something else such as a unique id, initials, psyedonym? I assume private owners name, or if gun trust owns it then gun trust's name?

Thx for any info or links to requirements!

No idea on the new rule…… My last SBR obviously had to have my name and city/state engraved on the lower receiver. But that was paid for and not tax exempt like what may be happening shortly.

"...The ATF requires that all Form 1 short barreled rifles, shotguns or suppressors be engraved with the manufacturer's name (you or legal entity), city and state. Your Name / legal entity name and locale can be engraved any where it is visible and can be as small as 1/16" in height. The minimum depth required by the ATF is .003 ..."

@wired , can you answer this? I think you have in the long, overblown thread on the brace rule, but it's turned into such a fustercluck it's hard to find anything specific.

"...The ATF requires that all Form 1 short barreled rifles, shotguns or suppressors be engraved with the manufacturer's name (you or legal entity), city and state. Your Name / legal entity name and locale can be engraved any where it is visible and can be as small as 1/16" in height. The minimum depth required by the ATF is .003 ..."
I wonder if it could be stamped, instead of engraved?

Note for those planning on placing their SBR's in a NFA Trust (IMO a very good idea) is that the free amnesty stamp must be to an individual and not a trust, since a non NFA item can be in a NFA trust before the amnesty per WGL:

It can be stamped or engraved but it has to be there. Name, city, state. The official FAQ on the brace rule is criminally vague on some stuff. This is from the actual form 1 instructions for the free stamp ...See #7

msrkings.jpg

@wired , the stamping or engraving is done after the permit is submitted, or before?
You can do it before or after. Doesnt matter. You dont have to build the gun at all after you get the stamp but if you do build it the new regs from last summer say within 2 weeks after . You can do it whenever you want before unless your engraver is a moron and wont do it without a stamp.

Do we have to engrave name and location on gun when applying for SBR under the new rule?

Does it have to be the owners name that is engraved or can it be something else such as a unique id, initials, psyedonym? I assume private owners name, or if gun trust owns it then gun trust's name?

Thx for any info or links to requirements!
The ATF ruling on the braces has indicated that an individual, not a trust, needs to do the form1 application.
As such, the engraving would need to be in compliance with ATF specs.
Assuming the lower was produced by a manufacturer, you would only need add your name, city and state. Example photo below.

pretty straight forward.

XQ-cKshS-3xeu9-LIcwZSgYQYTDjWdWck2jpEBVhBgI.jpg

Additionally, I have found that Bye Engraving has done an excellent job for all of my NFA stuff.
Bye Engraving Inc
Tel: (503) 246-4653
7914 SW Barbur Blvd
Portland, OR 97219

The ATF ruling on the braces has indicated that an individual, not a trust, needs to do the form1 application.
Assuming the lower was produced by a manufacturer, you would only need add your name, city and state. Example photo below.

pretty straight forward.

View attachment 1350713
They just say if the weapon was in the trust prior to the 120 day grace period the trust can do it. Very few people legitimately had them in trust before now. .

You can do it before or after. Doesnt matter. You dont have to build the gun at all after you get the stamp but if you do build it the new regs from last summer say within 2 weeks after . You can do it whenever you want before unless your engraver is a moron and wont do it without a stamp.

pretty straight forward.

View attachment 1350713
Thank you both for your help.

Additionally, I have found that Bye Engraving has done an excellent job for all of my NFA stuff.
Bye Engraving Inc
Tel: (503) 246-4653
7914 SW Barbur Blvd
Portland, OR 97219
Same guy I use. He does great/clean work.

They just say if the weapon was in the trust prior to the 120 day grace period the trust can do it. Very few people legitimately had them in trust before now. .
But has the clock started running on the 120 days yet? I thought it was either (unlikely) in the trust before the rule was announced on Jan 13th or (more likley) in the trust before the rule is published

the WA gun law video made it seem as though there was no option for trust to own non NFA item but that doesn't seem right? I'm sure I'm ignorant here so perhaps someone better informed can clear up any confusion.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top