Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Engrave filling. "Cool trick"

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by lilsqueve2003, Jan 30, 2011.

1. lilsqueve2003

lilsqueve2003 Eugene Member

Ok, so I found out this pretty cool (and easy) way to accomplish this. Best of all, you can do it in any color. If enough people want it and bash it I will tell how to do it. This is not a bashing thread. If you dont like it, then dont reply. Also, throw out your ideas for how you think its done. Its not some complicated process or anything, just like hearing others ideas.

If you have any other cool, or cheap ways to custom guns, just post that here also. Im sure we all love to hear them

CIMG2265.jpg
    CIMG2266.jpg
    CIMG2273.jpg
    CIMG2271.jpg

2. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

White crayon. I used to do this for my gaming dice that had number paint that didn't contrast enough. Rub the crayon on, use a texture-less rag to rub off the excess.

3. lilsqueve2003

lilsqueve2003 Eugene Member

Nope, wrong. I tried that though with bad luck. Couldnt get crayon to work that good

4. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I've done it with Liquid Paper.

5. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Ok so how'd u do it

6. C&H

C&H SW Portland Member

Easy, Photoshop!

Just kidding. I'm intrigued, how'd you do it?

7. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

8. Beefcake

Beefcake Portland Active Member

Seriously, I thought the point was that you were going to tell us how you did it. How many more guesses do you need to build up to the big reveal?:huh:

9. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

Yup. Wouldn't want to get known as a Trick Tease....

10. master ace

master ace seattle New Member

The Markal Lacquer paint stick works great for this, and won't rub off.

11. Dieselfuel12v

Dieselfuel12v Bellingham Member

I can see the excess, looks like you filled it like you would a grout line, and cleaned off the surface.

I plan to paint the rollmark on my ar lower when it comes in. Gonna use a fine brush and some red enamel.

12. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the only one that built model cars on here. I'd use Testors model enamel. It's a lot like how I used to ad detail to models. The "Dukes of Hazard" Charger come to mind. On the wheels, I'd float flat black paint in the low areas and then simply wipe off the extra with a tissue. They were chrome so the didn't need thinner to come completely clean, like a gun probably would.

13. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Yep that's what I would use but nowadays with all the dang safety minded idiots the Testors paint is water wash up. No more sniffin the fumes, cant have any fun nowadays. I bought a airbrush kit from them for the kids models and noticed the water wash up paint in it.

14. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I know there paint pens are still enamel, I use them at work all the time.:thumbup:

15. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

Back during the dark ages when we carried blue steel revolvers on duty at the police department, I learned to apply car wax to the outside surfaces to prevent rust and somewhat protect from holster wear. The result was that when the wax dried, it highlighted the engraving, not quite as much as seen here, but clearly visible.

16. CVMustang

CVMustang Hillsboro Member

Looks neat. I like it.

17. stitchclimber

stitchclimber St. Louis Active Member

I've used model paint.. what did you use?

18. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Ok Ok,, are you going to post what you did, or are you going to go on and on with the guessing game? I complemented your work on your other post, I even attempted to PM you since you were receiving a bashing from a few of the folks there. If your going to continue this type of behavior here also,, I'll attempt to use other methods provided by other posters that actually don't mind sharing. Sorry to take a poke at you, but it has gotten a little stale you know.

19. davidgpo

davidgpo Seattle Member

I'm sure he's using paint sticks. It's what I've been using. The paint stick has a waxy consistency. You rub it over the surface really well, dip a cloth in alcohol, stretch the cloth tightly over your finger and rub off the excess paint.

20. stitchclimber

stitchclimber St. Louis Active Member

Paint sticks? What are these?