JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to the pit today for the first time today. Although I had fun (kinda) it stressed me out because of all the rules. Yes, I know, those rules are there for a reason, and necessary for a public range, but I much prefer going up to Larch. There is just so much more you can do up in the hills..LOL

Shot my Serbu super shorty with 3" magnum shells and boy did that make it kick like a mule on steroids..LOL. Took the skin right of my thumb! Worth it though. Shooting at there Zombie targets were a blast.

See ya in the woods...............

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has issues with this place. I get a very bad vibe from there. I don't know what it is, but I hate going there, and refuse to do so anymore. I much prefer using the money I would have spent on range fee, and buying gas to drive up to my usual spot in the hills. I am by myself, I shoot what I want, when I want, and how I want.

Out of curiosity what rules do you have problems with? We go there on a regular basis and the only rule that we have any issue with is not being able to rapid fire :s0131:

I've seen enough questionable shooters at ranges and on BLM land that I'd rather have rules & oversight in place than not.

Also, I haven't been to other ranges in the area that didn't have very similar rules.

Already mentioned no rapid fire, no rimfire rifles on the pistol or centerfire ranges, no portable target stands on the rimfire rifle range (these two make it difficult to bring my kids) no holster practice, no draco's, and my last gripe isn't a rule but more a physical limitation: no place to shoot long guns without a bench in your way.

I've been to the pit a few times. It's close and I like the staff; pre-price hike I found it to be a good value. I opted to join DRRC instead of shooting at the pit due to the above mentioned limitations.

For the entrance fee I can drive to Larch twice. I have no problem with there rules, it's just not for me. It was just to structured for my liking. Not a place I would take the grand kids. They would have much more fun being with papa in the woods. :)

Last few times I went to Larch there were more people than I see at the Pit. I was worried I would leave with a hole in my truck, more beer cans were being emptied than boxes of ammo. I'll take a few rules and know I'll walk away. I think I'm getting old! LOL

English Pit is a good place to get your gun zeroed. That is about all I can say for it. I would like to practice two and three tap shooting, and you aren't allowed to do that there. Once in a while I wouldn't mind ripping off a whole magazine from my AR either, but that is a no-no too. At least the place is fairly cheap to shoot at and close to Portland. (No drunken crazies either). I don't know why they don't allow AR or AK pistols.

What's the reasoning on no Dracos?

It's not just Dracos, AR-15 pistols are also disallowed; I would guess that applies to the PTR, C93, etc pistols as well. Apparently they consider them too inaccurate for the rifle range and too noisy for the pistol range.

a few of my coworkers are army infantry veterans. they have nothing but bad things to say about the english pit. most of it was about how the range douche would insult them on their firing stances and constantly badger them about how their positions and methods are incorrect. when asked about showing them the proper way to do it, the range douche backed off. "range douche" is a term used by my coworkers.

i can't say for myself since i have never been there. however, having heard more negative things about it than positive, i'm happy that i have never wasted money going there.

a few of my coworkers are army infantry veterans. they have nothing but bad things to say about the english pit. most of it was about how the range douche would insult them on their firing stances and constantly badger them about how their positions and methods are incorrect. when asked about showing them the proper way to do it, the range douche backed off. "range douche" is a term used by my coworkers.

i can't say for myself since i have never been there. however, having heard more negative things about it than positive, i'm happy that i have never wasted money going there.
I believe that the RO you're talking about is no longer there. When I was there last they had a young very nice lady as the RO. Made me feel welcome anyway.

I went there for the first time today very fun time. Was my first time shooting my new sr9 and the people there were very friendly and even helped me zero in my sights. There was NO criticizing or negative vibes coming from anyone. Both the people shooting and RO were very polite and patient with me especially cause I am such a NewBy. The only downfall is no rapid fire but I dont see the point in wasting a bunch of $$ atleast for me at this point in my shooting skill level I just want to get accurate and focus on getting all the rounds in the paper. Also a sign there said for pistols double tap is ok but otherwise 1 second must go by in between shots. For me and my gas hog is is definatly more cost effective to go here than drive all the way up to larch (plus everytime I go up there I am tempted to leave with a truck full of firewood lol so that could workout too)

Overall tho its a nice place to go shoot and not worry bout some drunks puttin holes in your truck. There rules are really not very imposing and really should be kept in mind any place you shoot.

Thye are fairly close to resident homes.

Odd I never had any problems there from a managemnt standpoint. - But I shot midweek.

But have seen people come in and start shooting all over the place. I could see why they want to clamp down on certain people.

They even let me sight in my 22 on the center fire range.

For me it was just too far to drive to and Tigard was closer

I've been to the Pit only once, about a month ago. They were friendly, and during sign-in I asked if he'd let me show him a piece of paper to prove that I was qualified to double-tap. He just said, "go ahead." So I did, all day, shoot doubles from my G21 without hearing a word from the workers there.

But I agree with both of the guys above, first that it's way too restrictive, almost useless for anything but socializing and sharing guns, and secondly that shooting in the woods with the yahoos doesn't cut it. So I go to lonely spots off Hwy 26 where I'm the only knucklehead around, and pull stunts that would make most RO's go pale.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top