Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Engine turning

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Slowpoke, May 3, 2012.

1. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have an RIA 1911 tactical handgun. It's my first and only .45 gun. I like the fact that it was inexpensive, and like the way it feels and shoots.

The main thing I don't like about it is the appearance of the barrel at the ejection port. It looks really rough. I was thinking an engine turned finish would look really nice.

Being as cheap as I am, I would like to do it myself. I have numerous Dremel and air-powered tools. What I don't have is the knowledge of how to achieve the finish, and what specifically I would need.

Anyone out there can help?

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Brownell's for the tools and YouTube to learn how.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Hardwood floor guy

Hardwood floor guy Beaverton Active Member

i have a brand new springfield 1911 and before the first shot was fired the barrel started to look like this just from racking the slide a few times,it's just a 1911 thing.
    i would be carefull to not polish the barrel too much or it will lose tollerance.

4. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

The Dremel tool is a gunsmiths best friend... :(

Not!

5. 358guy

358guy Oregon Member

A flat nosed felt bob on your dremel with a little rouge would probably do it assuming you have a very steady hand. My favorite method is a pencil in a drill press, eraser down. Make sure not to put anything more aggressive than rouge on it and you won't be able to polish it under tolerance inside a week. Just keep from heating up the hood, if you can keep your finger on it you'll be fine.

6. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

In order for engine turning to look good the spacing has to be perfect. A milling table is really need for a good appearance.

As far as tools I use a nylon brush from Dremel, I put some shrink tube around it so the brush does not spread out when I apply pressure. I use a med grit compound. Here's a bolt from a 10/22. Brownells selling a kit for doing bolts or other round surfaces.

PICT0004.jpg
    102203.jpg

KalamaMark and (deleted member) like this.