Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Enfield Checkup

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by YelloEye, Aug 20, 2014.

1. YelloEye

YelloEye Snohomish County Member

I have a sporterized Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 that was passed down to me from my grandfather. He used it as a deer rifle for a few years.

Being prior infantry I did the usual disassemble and brush everything off of it. Didn't spot any real rust issues.

What all do I need to do/check before I put rounds through it?

2. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

about the only safty concern should be head space the 303 head spaces on the rim so unless the bolt head was swapped out after it was sold-off there should be no problemos. look at some empty rounds fired from your rifle if there are no bulges or cracks it should be safe

YelloEye likes this.
  3. YelloEye

Awesome! Thank you.

Any idea where I can get the head space "go/no-go" gauges, sight adjustment tool, and some original furniture?

4. JRuby

JRuby St. Helens Oregon Well-Known Member

To me for what you need to have done I would just find a gunsmith and have them do it - should be cheaper than buying the gauges yourself.

5. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

You need to hike up your britches, put on your ears and eyes and pull that trigger. lol
    Honestly, if it was your grandpaps, and if that rifle didn't kill him, it's probably good to go.

SIG383 likes this.
  6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Numrich has a bunch of parts.
    Look up the manufacturers directory under "S" then select "SMLE"
    Plus, free shipping if you order online with the code of the day.
    Here is what I learned from a couple of articles written about the Mark1 bolt heads.

The Brits were a global power back when your gun was made and they realized that their Enfields would be used around different parts of the world, so they designed the removable bolt head to be swapped out for whatever climate and conditions the country presented.
    Looser tolerances for sandy/gritty countries and tighter for colder climates.
    There should be a # on the bolt head.
    These are average dimensions taken from a variety of different bolts.
    .303 headspace is off the rim - .303 rims tend to be between 0.059" and 0.062" (normally on the smaller side to save brass I guess) But they can be 0.064" and still be 'in spec'
    The minimum headspace is therefore 0.064"

If you can get to 64 thou. / 65 thou. you'll have a lovely 'tight one' anything up to 0.074" is usable and safe.
    Over 0.074" get it sorted out.

Size / Number 0 went from 0.620" - 0.631"
    Size / Number 1 went from 0.622" - 0.635"
    Size / Number 2 went from 0.630" - 0.640"
    Size / Number 3 went from 0.632" - 0.640"

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    F2CMaDMaXX, YelloEye and JRuby like this.
  7. YelloEye

Is that last one supposed to be a 3? As luck would have it the bolt is stamped with a 3 on the side. There's another mark I can't quite figure out in another spot, but then there are a bunch of those on the rest of the rifle.

8. jbett98

Yep, it's a 3. Fixed it.
    Personally, I would shoot a round of quality ammo and check the spent casing for any deformations or irregularities.

9. YelloEye

I've got a box of Remington and a magazine of I think the same less one round which looks different, they're all round point except for the one. It's a pointed tip and has a silver colored jacket.

Any hints on sight adjustment?

10. jbett98

The rear sight is elevation only. The front sight is adjustable for windage.
    There are two types of front sights, one is a dovetail and the other is a band clamp style.
    You can make the band clamp tool out of an old flat head screwdriver.
    Just look on You Tube and you will find a bunch of info on this gun.

YelloEye likes this.
  11. YelloEye

Awesome. Mine is the clamp style I think.