JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone or is anyone a first responder other than police heard this ? My sister is a volunteer firefighter and EMT on one of the San Juan islands in WA State and her chief told her the other day that one of them has to take a firearms training class I'm guessing it's because there is no police or sheriff on the island they have to get s ferry ride to respond to calls on the island lol so her being my sister of course she volunteered any body else had to do this or heard of this

I should have said she was I the coast guard so she has had that training before I believe she said she was trained on hand gun shot gun there
I think things may be different out there but I highly doubt any on-duty EMT in most areas would be allowed to carry.
That's what I said too I don't see the County or the state asking a EMT OR FIREFIGHTER to contact a Armed person unless last resort or active shooter and no law inforcment around

I was a 1st Responder and Volunteer Firefighter for many years and we did firearms training so we were familiar enough with pistols primarily to be able to render medical assistance to CCH's with out having to wait for law enforcement to arrive and make the scene "safe" by being able to safely disarm unconsciousness or injured patients.

I was a 1st Responder and Volunteer Firefighter for many years and we did firearms training so we were familiar enough with pistols primarily to be able to render medical assistance to CCH's with out having to wait for law enforcement to arrive and make the scene "safe" by being able to safely disarm unconsciousness or injured patients.
That's kinda what I was thinking when I heard this was so they would know how to handle a gun to make it safe to do what they had to do not get in a gun fight lol

...a friendly reminder fir all of us if we ever happen to have to render aid at a range due to a negligent discharge: allways stress to 911 that there was an "accidental" shooting, location, state of the injured & weapon is no longer in possession of the party.

If you start the call with "someone's been shot" it could delay response time.

--and am certainly hoping we all never, ever have to...

Good advice yes the EMT will not enter a active shooter or shooting with out law inforcment I'm pretty sure the one and only time my sisters department responded to some thing like that was s guy threaten his landlord with s rifle then set his house on fire and the fire department had to wait down the street for sheriff's to get there to fight fire cuz the guy was Armed and ran into the woods behind the house

Needless to say but the house was a total loss and each hose team had a sheriff swat team with them when they were putting out what was left of the fire they didn't catch the guy till next night trying too leave the island on the ferry

Needless to say but the house was a total loss and each hose team had a sheriff swat team with them when they were putting out what was left of the fire they didn't catch the guy till next night trying too leave the island on the ferry
Should say sheriff swat team member with them lol not a team

Most times if the patient is unconscious the EMT/1st Responder will not know until they do their initial assessment that the patient is armed, The training is simply to make the Responder comfortable enough to take the firearm out of the equation, to move it to a safe place so they can do their job..........very simple stuff.

...a friendly reminder fir all of us if we ever happen to have to render aid at a range due to a negligent discharge: allways stress to 911 that there was an "accidental" shooting, location, state of the injured & weapon is no longer in possession of the party.

If you start the call with "someone's been shot" it could delay response time.

--and am certainly hoping we all never, ever have to...

There's a really good chance that Fire and EMS is going to stage for police on any call involving a firearm, accidental or not. I've worked in the realm of public safety for a while now and I can't recall a time where they went right in.

Still very valid though. Absolutely advise it was accidental and the firearm has been secured!

There's a really good chance that Fire and EMS is going to stage for police on any call involving a firearm, accidental or not. I've worked in the realm of public safety for a while now and I can't recall a time where they went right in.

The point I'm trying to make is that if the patient is unconscious and is a CCH how would the EMT know until they were doing their initial assessment that there was even a firearm involved? There is no threat at that point, they just need to secure the firearm. In rural Clark Co the Police were often times 30+ min away.

I understand that. There are areas in my jurisdiction that are similar. But I've still never seen EMS go in without police first. Not saying I disagree with you, just offering my point of view from my personal experiences.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top