JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was at Sportsman's (or whatever they call it this week) and asked to look at a Beretta 92fs. The gentleman handed it to me after clearing it (have to say I have dealt with him in the past and he is a very nice guy, older retired military is my guess), anyway he handed it to me with the chamber open and once I received it I dropped the mag, looked and replaced it (a good habit I think) and released the slide with the slide release. I let it go back into battery freely, and he jumped and said that you shouldn't do that on an empty chamber. He showed me how you should hold the slide and ease it back. I was a little annoyed, as I am not new to firearms, but out of respect I let him show me the way, and said nothing. After all, he is an old timer who might know something I don't. On top of that, you don't disrespect your elders, even if you think they might be wrong.

Anyway, the thing is I do this (releasing the slide freely) when I practice dry firing all the time. Am I doing something that could harm my pistols in the long run? I didn't think so, but I am not an expert. Should I be holding the slide and controlling the release?

I don't see how letting it fall back naturally would harm anything, but I am open to opinions.

On a tuned up 1911, yes letting the slide slam home is generally considered a bad idea, but on pretty much any production gun,even a 92fs its no problem, bubblegum its part of the standard clearing on an M9.

That's what I thought. I mean, I understand not dry firing a .22 pistol, but letting the slide go back to where it is supposed to would be a good thing, over time. Just seems like it would form a natural fit. Don't see how that would harm anything.

On weopons without a firing pin stop, the firing pin would slam forward onto an empty chamber as the slide moves into battery. possibly
causeing damage to the firing pin hole. That old soldier is right.

Good Shooting

Lindy

On weopons without a firing pin stop, the firing pin would slam forward onto an empty chamber as the slide moves into battery. possibly
causeing damage to the firing pin hole. That old soldier is right.

Good Shooting

Lindy

So if there is a round in the chamber, the firing pin is going to slam into the primer simply by releasing the slide?

The reason I have heard is that dropping the slide with the slide release wears out the slide stop notch in the slide over time rounding the square corner.

I have seen signs at sportsmans that ask not to drop the slides on pistols. Like idahoen said it's not good on a 1911, the sear can bounce and ruin a trigger job.

If that's the sportsmans off from 82nd i think i had a similar experience of being told i was doing something wrong by the old marine behind the counter.
Nice guy and I wanted to show him the respect a military vet deserves.

I always drop my slide never had an issue. I'm not a 1911 guy though.

OK, so all I am really worried about is whether or not I am causing harm to my XDm's or Glocks by doing this at home. I have no problem with doing it the way they want in the store, it's their gun. I just didn't know if I was causing damage to my own guns by doing this. Doesn't sound like it. Thanks guys.

OK, so all I am really worried about is whether or not I am causing harm to my XDm's or Glocks by doing this at home.
Maybe reference your owners manual on that. There are two schools of though on that little lever. Some call it a slide stop, others call it a slide release. Pick one and act accordingly.

FWIW, the youtube vidoes I've seen from professional instructors on various topics I've never seen one release the slide with the lever. Clint Smith has a good argument for this in this vid: Loading from empty - YouTube

99.9% of guns owners will never shoot their gun enough to wear it out. So, for most they will never know if it beats a gun up or not.

The hardest the slide will hammer the frame is when you drop it on an empty chamber. I like to take care of my pistols and see no purpose to do that. I ride the slide home on empty chambers.

I like to close the cylinder on a revolver by spinning the bejaysus out of the cylinder while simultaneously slamming it closed with all my might.. that Hollywood flipping it closed is for punks.

gun-cocking-fail.gif

I experimented with the "let it slam home" on an empty chamber and the "ease it home" gently method when I first got my semi-auto handgun. Only took a couple of trials to decide it would be in the long term interest of all involved; me, my pocket book and the handgun, to let the slide ahead gently on the empty chamber when practicing. I mean why not.................seems to me the "let it slam home" method is like rocking your kid to sleep with real rocks.

I mean, I understand not dry firing a .22 pistol, but letting the slide go back to where it is supposed to would be a good thing, over time.

Most .22lr guns can be dry fired without hurting anything. I have dry fired my ruger mk II tens of thousands of times, and it still works the same as it did brand new. There is no wear on the firing pin, and no wear on the chamber face. I have also dry fired my savage mk II a decent amount and there is no wear. Modern .22lr guns are ok to dry fire. Older guns are not built the same way, and I suppose old habits die hard.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top