JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now I understand that it's getting tough out there for employment etc etc, and especially tough for contractors... But personally (And this is just my opinion) I would find it very hard to work on a project or anywhere for that matter that mandated I give access to my vehicle to anyone (management/security/leo) without RAS/and or a Warrant.

Good Luck...

If its the project I'm thinking of, then one must consider that there are hundreds of craft workers in the Portland/Vancouver Area area who haven't worked in over a year. Thousands are already employed, and at least twice that number will be on site in the next few months. Whether this policy is based on a pure anti-gun philosophy, or if they are merely taking a preemptive move to keep order with so many workers in such a small area is hard to say, but the fact is they are the biggest employer in the Northwest right now and can for all intent and purpose fire someone at the slightest deviation from the policies they've set in place.

Keith

If its the project I'm thinking of, then one must consider that there are hundreds of craft workers in the Portland/Vancouver Area area who haven't worked in over a year. Thousands are already employed, and at least twice that number will be on site in the next few months. Whether this policy is based on a pure anti-gun philosophy, or if they are merely taking a preemptive move to keep order with so many workers in such a small area is hard to say, but the fact is they are the biggest employer in the Northwest right now and can for all intent and purpose fire someone at the slightest deviation from the policies they've set in place.

Keith

Hah... Base on your location alone, I know exactly who you work for and which project your speaking of :) I used to work out of RA3

I hate it when the government tells me what to do, but a private party/employer is different, just for me. I don't agree with them, but I'd follow the rules even though I didn't like it at all. We all know they have that right.

I also wouldn't try to talk to a new employer about it. Maybe if I'd worked there a long time and had developed a good relationship I would. But as a newbie? No.

Unions, arguing against the State, supporting gun rights? Oh I would have loved to be fly on that wall!

LOL - It was the Correctional Officer's union - think they also are involved with highway patrol. One of the accused is a fishing/golf buddy of the Secretary and coaches his kid in football. About the biggest thing the union did was take it directly to the Secretary. If staff tried to jump straight to the top they would have incurred the wrath of middle management whiners who felt like their toes got stepped on.

No Chit! ALL unions support Dems for the pro labor. What 95% of Dems do not like? Us gun owners and what we have in our house. Years ago where I work the union sent out a questioneer to get the feel of the rank and file before contract negotiations. In that questioneer, there was a single question about how I felt about gun control. I went through the roof. In my opinion they had no right to ask me that. I support the union with my monthly dues for nothing else but labor issues. I do not ask the NRA about how they feel about labor. On the subject of the OP, my employer has very specific wording about firearms on company property. From a legal stand point, the company can not deny you the Federal right to protect yourself, BUT, as a condition of employment, the company does not allow firearms on the property. Unless you are security. That is scary in it's self because the security people only have to qualify once a year with there firearm, and they only fire 6 rounds each. In my opinion, a bunch of puds! So as a condition of employment, you have to make some decisions. It's all up to you. Oh, by the way. I work for Boeing. After 9/11 things on company property are kinda wierd.

BY THE WAY TRI-MET HAS A NO GUN POLICY ALSO!!!! DID YOU KNOW THAT???? HARD TO GET TO WORK ON THE BUS IF YOU HAVE BEN BAN FROM, TRI-MET.

Tri-met is also a public agency and therefore can't do jack if you have a CPL. You could open carry on Tri-met and as long as you have a CPL they can't do anything. This has already been discussed in this thread: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/5410-firearms-tri-met.html and you can reference OFF here: https://www.oregonfirearms.org/.

BY THE WAY TRI-MET HAS A NO GUN POLICY ALSO!!!! DID YOU KNOW THAT???? HARD TO GET TO WORK ON THE BUS IF YOU HAVE BEN BAN FROM, TRI-MET.

(2) Weapons: No person, except a peace officer, shall bring or carry aboard a District Vehicle any firearm, knife (except a folding knife with a blade less than 3 ½ inches in length), or any other instrument, article, device, material or substance specifically designed for, or attempted to be used to, inflict or cause bodily harm to another, except in accordance with administrative rules as may be promulgated by the General Manager or otherwise provided by law. Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law, a person in possession of a weapon may not display or carry the weapon in a manner which is likely to result in fear or alarm by other persons or District employees.

How does that work? I thought only the state legislature could make gun laws? BTW: I love the "otherwise provided by law" and "Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law ..." That pretty much negates their rules doesn't it?

If you carry a pistol, take it apart and leaver the lower in the car and take the slide assembly in with you. That's what I do when I transport my pistol and stop to go shopping at some big box store. I'm paranoid about being responsible for a firearm getting into the hands of a bad guy. I usually just put it into a freezer bag when I do this, but you could get a little container that you can perhaps lock.

How does that work? I thought only the state legislature could make gun laws? BTW: I love the "otherwise provided by law" and "Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law ..." That pretty much negates their rules doesn't it?
State law doesn't prohibit weapons on public transit it you have a CWP and state law preempts the Tri-Met RULES.

"That is one rule up with which I will not put."

-Winston Churchill, commenting about the rule of not ending a sentence with a preposition.

If you are new on the job and go talk to HR about a way to secure the firearm you wish to carry at work, you will be suspect of carrying if they say no. Since it's stated company policy that firearms are prohibited, that leaves you with two options. Leave it at home or carry very well concealed.
If I was in your shoes and had to ride Tri-Met to work, my choice would be a small, easily concealed pistol. I would tell no one about it. I worked for a company that had corporate directed "no guns" policy. I left mine in the truck.
If the time came that I needed my handgun, I wouldn't be worrying about company policy.

Damm guys grow a pair, its easier to get a new job then another life, if you lose your job go somewhere and get another one.

#1 In 1980, 52 percent of all jobs in the United States were middle income jobs. Today, only 42 percent of all jobs are middle income jobs.

#2 Back in 1980, less than 30% of all jobs in the United States were low income jobs. Today, more than 40% of all jobs in the United States are low income jobs.

#3 Only 63.5 percent of all men in the United States had a job last month. According to Bloomberg, that figure is "just slightly above the December 2009 nadir of 63.3%. These are the lowest numbers since 1948."

#4 In 1969, 95 percent of all men between the ages of 25 and 54 had a job. Last month, only 81.2 percent of men in that age group had a job.

Keith

So, do you work for said employer, or the GC running that project? ;)

I can see both possibilities from their perspective. If it's the former, that's their choice. I don't have to agree with it... If it's the latter, I can certainly understand it. You've got a huge mix of people that, admittedly, have a "rough" reputation at times. Some trades more than other, perhaps, but the reputation is there. :s0131:

Luckily, I'm in management and have a bit more flexibility. I'll be working there because I choose to - not because it's the only job I can get. But I don't plan on using their parking lots. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top