JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would leave it at home, thank the diety that I have a job, and drive on.

The employment situation is getting bitter out there

Pretty much have to leave it at home or take the risk of someone at work spotting it and reporting it to HR. Odds are you wouldn't even get a chance to pack a box before they hustled you out the door.

My new employer prohibits firearms on the property, But Im CHL and carry to and from work via Trimet. What do I do with my firearm while at work?

Do you have to undress or are people hugging you at work? I worked downtown Portland for a while (think right next door (east) of Black Box), employer had the same rule, I carried anyway. Unless they know there's no problem. But then if they find out you will be looking for a new job and their report of performance won't be pretty!

PaulZ is correct.

At the very least you'd get terminated for cause which means hope for state unemployment compensation disappears too.

Big company? Mom-n-pop? Can you request accommodations be made for you to have it secured immediately upon arriving? Maybe a safe you furnish in the bosses/security/HR office? I would bring it up immediately so you can get a firm ruling now and you will not have any questions in the future. When they give you a final decision, thank them and make it CRYSTAL CLEAR you will gladly respect the decision.

You should have no fear of loosing your job because you asked. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Oh, and, Congrats on the new gig. Regardless of the outcome of the gun issue, I hope this works out for you.

Check the HR policy about securing one in your car. Usually you can do what you want as long as you dont carry it inside.

My employer says no too. The parking lot is a shared lot so they have no say about it.

The golden rule is 'loose lips sink ships". Never mention it to anyone you work with. Ever.

ETA: Sorry, missed the part about trimet

Last Edited:
Check the HR policy about securing one in your car. Usually you can do what you want as long as you dont carry it inside.

My employer says no too. The parking lot is a shared lot so they have no say about it.

The golden rule is 'loose lips sink ships". Never mention it to anyone you work with. Ever.

ETA: Sorry, missed the part about trimet

Similar to my employer. Where I work the lot is shared so they don't have a say. We have another location where they have their own lot. Luckily, there is street parking.

If its a shared office building see if there are lockers or something off your employer's property as well.

We had a similar issue when I was working at Corrections in CA - someone overheard that several of us were taking a half day and taking one of the managers out so she could get an idea of what gun to buy. we were not on prison grounds so not a legal issue. The person who complained failed to realize that all who brought their weapons into the building were sworn officers tho... There was a policy for all carrying to lock their weapons up in a gun locker to be provided by employer - someone had lost the keys to the locker in the last move so they couldn't do anything about it. Union reps pointed out to the Secretary of corrections that they dropped the ball and it all went away.

I agree with others above - I wouldn't carry in the workplace until you come to an agreement with management.

Hope they agree to let you carry on site. Best of luck!

Locked glove box? Not sure I see the complication.

The OP is taking transit. A glove box isn't an option for him.

I'm almost positive that in OR, a parking lot managed by your employer would be off limits. Granted your odds of getting caught are very low.

Go to HR, explain the method of transport you use to get to work, and the security issues of using that method. Then ask for a waver based on your permit to carry, method of carry and the security questions getting to work that are involved.

MOST: not all mind you, but most, will accomidate you...then you will be showing you are a good corporate citizen that wishes to follow the rules, and you are interested in using public transit (the libs love that one) but you are concerned with your own personal safety. Try it, you might like it.

Dealing with a similar situation on a project I am starting on (I am a contractor). The owner explicitly states no firearms on the property (including parking lots). Terms of project also allow security to inspect vehicles as a result of reported suspicious activity (i.e. reports of theft on site, etc). While I think chances are slim of them finding one if I were to keep it locked in a something like a nanovault and buried under a back seat, that sort of defeats the purpose of having the thing in the truck at all...
Needless to say, I'm looking to find parking nearby that is not on their property, and leaving the handgun at home until then.

Dealing with a similar situation on a project I am starting on (I am a contractor). The owner explicitly states no firearms on the property (including parking lots). Terms of project also allow security to inspect vehicles as a result of reported suspicious activity (i.e. reports of theft on site, etc). While I think chances are slim of them finding one if I were to keep it locked in a something like a nanovault and buried under a back seat, that sort of defeats the purpose of having the thing in the truck at all...
Needless to say, I'm looking to find parking nearby that is not on their property, and leaving the handgun at home until then.

Now I understand that it's getting tough out there for employment etc etc, and especially tough for contractors... But personally (And this is just my opinion) I would find it very hard to work on a project or anywhere for that matter that mandated I give access to my vehicle to anyone (management/security/leo) without RAS/and or a Warrant.

Anyway.. Back to the O/P... It's a personal choice... And also kind of depends on the environment you work... Like other people said.. Do you have alot of contact with co-workers? Or do you work more solo? etc etc... You have to weigh the risk Location/Neighborhood of your employer, the fact you take public transportation vs the probability of getting caught....

Good Luck...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top