JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's funny how many people on the internet talk the talk, but when given a hypothetical scenario where their families will be executed should they not act, they still rationalize sitting in their car, waiting for SWAT, all the while their wives and kids screaming on the phone as the the shooter comes around the corner blasting.

I have no respect for cowards. Even less for internet pretenders who talk caliber and capacity, and tactics, but EVEN ON THE INTERNET can't screw up the courage to use their firearm to save the lives of the ones they love.

The simple reality...few go to the gun range, fewer have thrown a punch or taken martial arts. Fewer have done anything where their abilities determined whether they lived through the day. It's honestly, disgusting.

It's threads like this I point out to women, and ask them...'would you want this guy for your husband?' and they look absolutely shocked to think their husband, big tough guy with a gun, armed and dangerous, wouldn't come to help them when it counted.

Hey cowards...let me ask you a question. When the founding fathers were on the farm by themselves with a musket and the indians come through the farm raping and murdering....did the husband with a musket outnumbered, run into the woods? Did he fight? Did he worry about the lawsuit and shooting investigation?

Mods, feel free to delete my account, I have nothing in common with the people here.
Well my wife carries a gun too so…….. I guess I'm just not as alpha as you, I count on her to protect me…. LOL. Throwing around a whole lot of accusations against people you have never met….

Well my wife carries a gun too so…….. I guess I'm just not as alpha as you, I count on her to protect me…. LOL. Throwing around a whole lot of accusations against people you have never met….
We are dealing with yet another troll here as I am sure you could see by his last rant. It was funny in a way how one of the last "active shooter" things we had up here effected my Wife. Scum was in some store hunting people and they showed one scene where a lady was desperately trying to get her very elderly mother to safety and could not. Both shot. This really effected Wife who said it could be her and her Mother who is in mid 90's now. I told her if its you and her, since she of course can't run, hunker down. Wait for either the good guys to show or if scum sticks his head into the place you are punch a hole in it.

Carry anyway. You can always find another job if you lose it .
NO ONE loses a job because they carried unless one of two things happen. One they have to use the gun to defend themselves. In which case I doubt they are crying about the loss of job. The only other is if they just can not stop from telling those who they work with they have a gun and or can't carry and not drop the gun on the floor. For some reason I have never been able to understand the real problem is people who just feel they have to tell co workers they have a gun.

It's funny how many people on the internet talk the talk, but when given a hypothetical scenario where their families will be executed should they not act, they still rationalize sitting in their car, waiting for SWAT, all the while their wives and kids screaming on the phone as the the shooter comes around the corner blasting.

I have no respect for cowards. Even less for internet pretenders who talk caliber and capacity, and tactics, but EVEN ON THE INTERNET can't screw up the courage to use their firearm to save the lives of the ones they love.

The simple reality...few go to the gun range, fewer have thrown a punch or taken martial arts. Fewer have done anything where their abilities determined whether they lived through the day. It's honestly, disgusting.

It's threads like this I point out to women, and ask them...'would you want this guy for your husband?' and they look absolutely shocked to think their husband, big tough guy with a gun, armed and dangerous, wouldn't come to help them when it counted.

Hey cowards...let me ask you a question. When the founding fathers were on the farm by themselves with a musket and the indians come through the farm raping and murdering....did the husband with a musket outnumbered, run into the woods? Did he fight? Did he worry about the lawsuit and shooting investigation?

Mods, feel free to delete my account, I have nothing in common with the people here.
Not aware of anyone saying they wouldn't put forth effort to protect their family, but the idea of playing "hunt the active shooter" as a civilian is generally a lose lose if you and your family are already out of harms way and can leave the situation.

There's a big difference between being "there" at the moment and responding with force than being "nearby" and injecting yourself into the situation that you could have escaped from.

My primarily responsibility is to my family, I am not meeting that responsibility if my actions are not in effort to keep them and myself after them, safe.

If I worked as a gun carrier with a badge and legal immunity, my responsibility to act and the efforts I would need to employ would be different.

That's an awful lot of tough talk and an awful lot of assumptions made.

Easy to say on the internet, harder to say to someone's face.

Yeah, they are almost as annoying as the internet super ninja tough guys.

Yeah, they are almost as annoying as the internet super ninja tough guys.
Even though he is a troll (I think) its a good conversation to have.

Its a silly scenario though. Why are you in the parking lot while your loved ones are shopping? Too fat to walk and they were out of mobility scooters at walmart?

I always go in the store with my wife, for this and many other reasons, mainly reaching things on high shelves so I can feel manly.

I always go in the store with my wife
Well, I am banned from Hobby Lobby...

banned from hl.jpg

This is worth a watch

In my own - I have carried against an employer's wishes before, and would again. MY life is worth more than any job, and no policy designed to protect the company will stop a violent crime from happening, so I won't let any policy restrict how *I* protect myself.

The last time I worked for someone (been self employed for years) they found out I carried, asked / told me not to. I still carried. Found out from someone who wound up being a business partner, our former boss had a talk with him about it (the legality of such being questionable, since the other person wasn't my supervisor and was just a fellow employee back then) - my coworker pointed out to the boss that his reaction was because he was scared of liability - what if I shot someone, he could get sued - my friend / coworker pointed out "what if he gets hurt and could've prevented it with his gun, you're getting sued anyway at that point" - and the issue was dropped. This was a small business and not a major corporation.

Unless they have metal detectors or pat downs, I would carry. The day they institute pat downs / metal detectors, I'm out.

Carry and let them fire if it's ever discovered. Every company usually puts on that policy so they can put the blame onto the employee and not the company if there's ever an excessive force lawsuit

I think if I were her, I'd go to management and stress that she doesn't feel safe
Stop right there. No mention of weapons etc. Simply ask what they are going to do about that. An opening to a conversation.

Unfortunately she is in management and therefore expected to fly the corporate flag, so to speak.
What will she say to those who report to her?

Buy her a nice katana for her office wall. "It's to cut birthday cakes with". It will distract from the hogleg in her purse.
an exaggeration, but true, a good distraction is valuable.

I concealed carried at work for many years. My boss, fellow gun enthuaiast, and fellow CHL holder carried in his backpack (not my first choice) and knew I carried too. The company was bought out my boss moved on and a no carry policy without supervisors permission went into effect. I carried for a few years after that until covid came along and they sent us all home to work from home at which it became a mute point.

My 16 yo daughter and my GF know I carry and that is it. No need to tell my family, friends, co-workers etc. How is anyone going to know that I carry unless I tell them and why would I tell them?

If someone can tell that you are carrying then it isn't really concealed carry is it? An LCP in a pocket holster in my front pocket and nobody (except my GF) has ever asked what that bulge is.

P.S. My daughter is oblivious to any controversy over concealed carrying (She figured out that I carried when whe was about 12). My GF appreciates that I carry and feels more secure knowing I always have a gun on me to the point she would feel uncomfortable if she found out I didn't have one on me for some reason.

In 25 years of carrying my pistol has only come out of my pocket once and that was to dispatch a deer with 4 mangled legs after it totaled a friends Honda accord. When the cop came by and stopped due to the mess on the highway he inquired about the deer. I told him it is definitely dead. He looked at it with his flash light and I assume saw the hole in the deers eye socket. That was the last he asked about the deer. I doubt the cop would have been able to shoot the deer without an inquiry and a mess of paperwork.

When I go to Portland I apendex carry a .45 XDs as well as my LCP or DB9 in a pocket. With my LCP/DB9 in a jacket pocket a perp would not know I have a gun on me until after he has a hole in him and I prefer to keep it that way. I have a CONCEALED carry license not a brandishing license!

Last Edited:
Most of these employer restrictions against carrying firearms have to do with the corporate fear that a firearm carrying employee could draw and shoot fellow employees or managers. Never mind that those incidents of murder in the workplace had to do with entry level employees that were mentally unstable in the first place. I've carried a concealed handgun on every job that I've had regardless of the employer's rules. They won't be there to defend you against an assailant and will send a lovely bouquet of flowers to your funeral along with some suit to tell everyone how valuable you were to the company. Concealed carry means just that. No one ever knew that I was armed. I will always take better care of myself than you will. If your wife has to work in an environment that is dangerous, then as her husband, you better make certain that she is safe and well cared for. It the responsible thing to do for those that we love.

OP - here are a few questions for you to ask that might guide your decision-making process - don't answer here, just consider independently:

1. Is there posted signage at the workplace, and does it have the force of law in your area?

Every state is different - for example, in WA the posted sign does not have force of law, but if I refuse to leave then I would be in violation of the law by trespassing. I do not carry at work, but if I were to do so and get caught, I would lose my job, not my liberty.

If you are in a state where signage does have force of law, disregarding it would mean your wife is committing a felony or gross misdemeanor involving a firearm, violation of which could impact her right to keep and bear arms. We can sit here on the internet and talk forever about what we think the 2nd Amendment should actually mean from a state and local perspective, but at the end of the day you're either a law-abiding citizen or you're not. A law-abiding citizen follows the law.

If you disagree with your state's laws you have 3 options - try to get it changed (a hard road to follow, and you might not be successful), move somewhere with laws that align with your beliefs and values (much easier and faster, but with greater impact on your life as a whole), or recognize that laws suck in your state and accept that as a part of living there. You choose which of those options works best for you. It's worth checking out Massad Ayoob's book "Straight Talk on Armed Defense" (https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Talk-Armed-Defense-Experts/dp/1440247544/) - great book in general, and if I recall correctly the last chapter touches on dealing with non-permissive environments.

2. Does company policy explicitly prohibit tasers, pepper spray, expandable batons, stun guns, kubatons, or other defensive tools?

The gun isn't the only solution to every defensive problem - in fact, it only solves a very narrow subset of defensive problems. If your only response to every potential threat is "shoot them", you're going to have a hard time defending those actions in a court of law. Every person should have a means of defending themselves besides a firearm, and at least some rudimentary training on whatever defensive tool they carry. Alternatives to firearms can be ranked by reach - tools that provide some standoff distance (tasers, pepper spray, etc), tools that extend your reach in a physical altercation (expandable batons, etc), and finally extreme close quarters tools (stun guns, kubatons, knives, etc).

For standoff distance I recommend either (or both) taser and pepper spray. Note: by taser I mean a REAL taser (https://www.amazon.com/Taser-Pulse-Self-Defense-Cartridges-Target/dp/B01DTIV0XU/), not a stun gun, which is an ECQC tool. LuckyGunner also has an excellent pepper spray primer you can watch here for more info: https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/choosing-pepper-spray-for-everyday-carry/.

For extended reach, you can find all kinds of cheap expandable batons online (https://www.amazon.com/morework-multi-tool/dp/B092JH4VFD/) - doesn't have to be an Asp, just needs to be relatively well made. Check reviews and user feedback before buying.

I would advocate your wife having a kubaton or similar tool for ECQC over a knife, as knives can easily be turned against an untrained person. Kubaton training is comparatively easy to find and it is less likely for the kubaton to be used against her by an assailant. Stun guns are another alternative; review this first before buying one (https://www.sabrered.com/stun-guns-and-voltage-myth), and choose one from a reputable brand (like Sabre).

Even in the most restrictive of environments you can carry some kind of defensive tool. Here's an example of EDC for non-permissive vs permissive environments: https://demonstratedconcepts.com/recommended-gear/. There are numerous routine daily-use items that make great improvised defensive tools - for example, a steel pen or small maglight can be substituted for a kubaton but used the same way, while a bicycle lock is a decent makeshift impact weapon.

I've intentionally excluded pepperball launchers from this list because they are new in the non-lethal defense game and there hasn't been much testing done to prove their reliability. For example, you can find numerous videos of the Byrna subcompact pepperball launcher failing to fire. If I had to choose between pepper spray and a pepperball launcher, I'd pick the pepper spray for that reason alone.

3. Does your wife practice good situational awareness?

Being aware of one's surroundings will help her avoid the majority of trouble that might come her way. If she is constantly on her phone or listening to music with earphones, she probably isn't being observant of her surroundings and should reprioritize situational awareness over those things when in transit between her home and workplace. I also recommend she read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker, which touches on how she can recognize and use intuition and subconscious body signals to identify and avoid threats. It's too long to post here, but if you PM me I'd be happy to send you over a list of specific behavioral and environmental red flags she should be on the lookout for.

4. Does she drive to work, get dropped off, or take public transit?

Having a gun in a quick-access vault in the car is not ideal compared to having it on her person, but better than nothing. Bear in mind that some companies are able to search a personal vehicle if its parked on their property and signage is posted accordingly - again, this depends on company policy and local law as outlined in (1), but you should be aware of it. Having alternative defensive tools as identified in (2) can help her fight her way to the gun in the car if needed (taser would be best for this, of course). Again, not ideal, but may still be compliant with the law and beats being completely unarmed. If you drop her off and pick her up, you can be armed in your vehicle and meet her in the safest, best-lit area possible. If she takes public transit, there's not much she can do there.

5. Does the company have any kind of security team or safety council?

Putting it back on the company and asking them what they are going to do about employee safety is a good move - make no mention of firearms, just call out the concern and note that the company does have an obligation to provide a safe and secure work environment. Not all companies have security teams, but those with more than 20 employees often have some kind of safety council. If they have a security team, she could request an escort to her vehicle due to the recent shooting. If they don't she could engage the safety council and request they develop a safety escort program to address this gap.

It might not be a guy with a gun, but walking in numbers makes her less likely to be targeted than walking alone. If the company isn't going to do anything about it, your wife should have a pretty good idea of who leaves work at the same time as her - she can reach out to coworkers and see if any of them might be willing to walk with her. The company certainly can't complain about her organizing her own safety escort program if they aren't willing to step up and do it.

Companies may also have a "safe ride home" program where they offer Uber or Lyft transport for employees who have to work late (more of a tech company perk, but worth asking about). Maybe her company will permit special parking privileges close to the office entrance due to safety concerns. It doesn't hurt to ask, but the worst they can say is no. If she's not the only person at the office who has these concerns, she can work with her colleagues to raise the issue at staff meetings and get leadership visibility on it. One person voicing a concern can be ignored, but if a group of people repeatedly voice a concern and no action is taken, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen, and most companies know this.

On changing jobs, most large companies are not 2A friendly, so keep that in mind if she does decide to start looking for a new position. I would not recommend asking about firearm policy, but asking about workplace security and safety issues (is there secure parking? do you have a security team? is there an employee escort program in case I have to walk through the parking lot at night? if employees report security or safety concerns, what is the company's process for handling that?) is 100% reasonable.

Well, that ended up being a longer post than I expected, but I hope the info helps. Best of luck, and stay safe out there!

Years ago I posted up on Glock talk 'You've pulled up to Walmart and people are running out...active shooter'...what do you do.

The whole placed melted down. Most people said they would wait for back up, even if their wife and kid were hiding behind the meat counter and shooter was executing, aisle by aisle women and children.

A trip that day to Bimart Springfield, mentioned this to the counter guy (buying reloading stuff)..he said 'Yeah, I wouldn't grab and gun and be a hero'...

I was just digusted with people that day.

This was all before the school shootings and change in police policy, where all the cops were hired based on 'wait for back up'...now they have to dive in, cut the pie and look for the shooter.

Hilarious...

So if conceal carry is illegal at schools and establishments, just who will stop the spree shooter?
Shopping at Walmart is like a hot chick wearing a minidress in downtown Portland.

Bad things are inevitable, and you probably asked for it.

My wife's job requires her to work in one of the crappy parts of Portland, the Hawthorne District. ( ya it's hard to find many areas in town that don't earn that title now ).
Even though she has her carry permit, she is prevented from using it because of her employers strict no weapons policy.
About 10 hours ago, she found herself danger close to a fatal shooting while working.
Since I have always been in occupations that required carry, my response is predictable, to hell with the job, if you don't feel safe, do what you have to, you can always find another job if it comes to that.
While she is shaken by being danger close to tonight's shooting, she hates the idea of giving up several years invested in her job.
If this was your wife, what would you say to her ?
Hawthorne distric bad??????? I've been in Eugene springfield since early 2010 but was in SE Portland (161st and Stark) then Gresham (223rd and Powell) for 6 years before I moved down here.

Hawthorne was always the Hipster area while I was up there. Big danger of second hand THC high or breathing to much BO/Nog chompa but areas can change pretty quick.

Love Eastside Delacitesen at 46th and Hawthorne, I used to go to stairs sprints at Mt Tabor then go chow get a big azz sub and a couple beers.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top