JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I work at a large business in Oregon and they have a policy that states you can not have a weapon in your car. I find that hard to believe that's legal as far as 2nd amendment rights. It's in the middle of nowhere and people have a right to self-protection going to and from their place of employment. I can understand them not wanting you to bring any inside for worker's safety reasons...but kept in your car? I have researched other states that recently were told buy their high courts that they can not have such a policy. I'm wondering if Oregon is the same way. Anyone with information on this will be greatly appreciated.

If it's a company vehicle, or you're doing company business in your vehicle and/or receiving financial reimbursement for said use, I could see that being valid. Otherwise, they can go pound sand.

Illegal NO, however Oregon is an "AT WILL" employment state they can fire you on the spot and you would not receive any unemployment compensation because you willfully and knowingly violated a company "safety" policy. It's also private property and as such they can say whatever they want regarding what you can and cannot bring onto the property.

I like my job. Half the people in the office carry. :)

Also, IIRC I heard something like your car is an extension of your home somewhere. So their "policy" is nothing to concern yourself with. How would they know anyway? What do they go around checking everyone's trunk and glove box or something?

No company can mandate your rights away, what if they said no blacks, or gays or Christians...that's a civil rights violation!

kind of missing the perspective there. it is THEIR property and they have a legal right to request employees follow their operating procedures which can include saying you have to dress in a certain means you cannot display religious or sports items and that you are not allow to posses a firearm on the premises. being a at will state if you violate any of their policies which you agreed to when hired regarding their property they have the right to allow you to no longer work for them. not a rights issue because you are not being discriminated against you are just being held to the policies they have in place as part of being a employee.

in the same regard what they dont know wont hurt them and they dont have the right to search you vehicle because that IS against your rights

My company has the same policy in its employee manual - no weapons of any kind on the property, including in your car in the parking lot. I asked my supervisor about pepper spray (Oregon doesn't consider it a weapon) but no one ever got back to me on whether that was okay or not.

If I ever do start carrying I absolutely would not bring it into the building - just not a smart idea considering the people I work with - but I'd have to think long and hard about not having it in my car. Especially if I knew I would be going somewhere after work that I would want it, or if there was some kind of uncomfortable situation going on. I have some crazies in my past...if they ever showed up again you can bet I'd be stashing a gun in my car.

I would suggest that you ask an attorney about this issue. Unless someone here that gave you an answer is an attorney,( which I doubt ) you may jeopardize your job. A quick consultation with a lawyer is not very expensive if you want to be sure of your position. There are way too many "internet lawyers" around today!:s0155:

My company has the same policy in its employee manual - no weapons of any kind on the property, including in your car in the parking lot. I asked my supervisor about pepper spray (Oregon doesn't consider it a weapon) but no one ever got back to me on whether that was okay or not.

If I ever do start carrying I absolutely would not bring it into the building - just not a smart idea considering the people I work with - but I'd have to think long and hard about not having it in my car. Especially if I knew I would be going somewhere after work that I would want it, or if there was some kind of uncomfortable situation going on. I have some crazies in my past...if they ever showed up again you can bet I'd be stashing a gun in my car.

AA, its only a violation of your company's policies if you get caught.

As the saying goes, "Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it."

There are two of us, (that i know of.) that keep ours in our vehicles. Our company policies do not restrict it but we both know if we ever need them we will definitely lose our jobs. At that point i know our jobs will be the last thing on our minds.

Do what you need to do to protect your self! Let the chips fall where they may. AACF= ApronAmy Comes First!

Lefty.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads