JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started this thread to see how many people are willing to compromise their rights..too many! How a company feels or thinks about this has no bearing on the simple fact that they can not, by law do this.

Wrong..

Their property..Their Rules. Plain and simple, You gave up that right the minute you accepted the job and all the conditions of employment that go with it.

Unless of course you one of those people that thinks the rights regarding private property only apply to you and not your company then you are more bubblegummed than I thought.

Wrong..

Their property..Their Rules. Plain and simple, You gave up that right the minute you accepted the job and all the conditions of employment that go with it...
funny, that is the same thing I took away from CHL class I went to at multnomah sheriff. Concealed carry is allowed except 2 basic situations... Certain govt buildings and private property where it is forbidden( dont hammer me, yes there are few more)... including certain grocery stores, sub shops pizza places etc etc...

So if I park on the PUBLIC street in front of my work, NOT in the "company parking lot" can I still be fired ??????
Some companies policies, mine for example, say it even applies if your personal car is parked along the street where the company is located, even if it is not in their parking lot on their property. It says that you must consent to a search of your person or car at their request immediately, or face termination. It goes into weapons as well as drugs and alcohol, so you could have a case of beer in your car from home because you're going to a friends for a BBQ right after work, and if they wanted to they can fire you for that.

Also something I read in their policies (I'm the kind of guy who reads everything with a fine toothed comb to figure out policies and loopholes and such) It also says that you agree that the company can and will change the policies at any time and they don't have to give you notice about the changes, but you still agree to be bound by those changes (even though you may have no idea they changed) or face termination.

Companies hire legal teams to draft up a whole bunch of catch 22s that make it where you pretty much have to do what they say, even if it is in violation of your rights or face termination for not following their policies.

GOT TO LOVE AT WILL EMPLOYMENT STATES:s0155:

But as I like to say, what they don't know, won't hurt me.

My employer has been asked about carrying on the job, his comment was "you have a permit don't you? Just don't do anything stupid"
I don't know what you do, but I want to work there now :)
Sorry guys, I have no link to post. But I beleive that it is mandated by law, that the company MUST allow firearms to be stored in your car, even on company property. I just tried finding it but I came up empty handed. Maybe I made it all up in my head?
If this was a law, and you do manage to come up with it, pleas let us know.

BTW: Is there anyway we can get some kind of petition going to bring to our elected officials to make a state law where employers can't take away our 2nd amendment rights with the threat of termination while at work, so long as everything is legal with you and your CCW in your state?

I am glad that my company relaxed over the years and now only says firearms are not allowed, before they used to say tasers, pepper spray, knives, etc. were not allowed, at least it is a little more relaxed than it way. That to me means we're making progress, it also means that I carry my Kershaw on me now rather than just a leatherman which wasn't a nice, but a "multi-tool"

I started this thread to see how many people are willing to compromise their rights..too many! How a company feels or thinks about this has no bearing on the simple fact that they can not, by law do this.

Show me the law. Where does it say that employers in Oregon, or Washington, cannot ban guns on their property, even in the trunk of an employee's car in the parking lot? Other states and jurisdictions have passed laws or have court cases in place allowing employees this right but Oregon is not one of them. Yet...

I started this thread to see how many people are willing to compromise their rights..too many! How a company feels or thinks about this has no bearing on the simple fact that they can not, by law do this. That doesn't mean I want anyone to storm the front office and demand it be changed. What we should be doing is to organize our work place associates and get the information out, and consolidate this information in a form that can be taken to HR for them to see. I would also be a good idea to get your state reps. and senators involved. Their name on a piece of paper goes a long way at the front office. Don't put your jobs on the line...but don't forget that they are paying you because you are doing them a service. Good luck to all.

can. They own the property and can make any rules they want. Until OR (and WA) pass laws that make it legal to posssess a weapon in your vehicle while at work you are subject to what your employer says (unless it's a public parking lot like a mall lot).

As I (and others) said: OR is an "at will" state. Your employer can fire you with or without a reason. They ask to search your car, you say "NO, it's my Constitutional right to be armed", they say "you're fired" for refusing to allow the search. That's all it takes. Doesn't matter if a weapon is in the vehicle or not at that point. As to your rights to be free from "unreasonable search and seizure" You MIGHT have something to go on IF they search you vehicle after you say no. But, can you afford the legal costs AFTER you lose your job?

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

Some companies policies, mine for example, say it even applies if your personal car is parked along the street where the company is located, even if it is not in their parking lot on their property. they can fire you for that.

I don't know what you do, but I want to work there now :)

A school district tried that and it was overturned in court, they can't touch your vehicle off their property unless they own the street (which does happen if the city/county/state vacates a street to them). The city/county/state laws don't allow them to enforce their policy on public property. Their rights end at the property line no matter what the company policy is. If they tried that with me I'd call 911 and have an office present to explain the law to them or at least witness what happens for the lawsuit to follow! I'll bet the NRA would love to be involved in one like that!

No openings at the present!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

I work at a large business in Oregon and they have a policy that states you can not have a weapon in your car. I find that hard to believe that's legal as far as 2nd amendment rights. It's in the middle of nowhere and people have a right to self-protection going to and from their place of employment. I can understand them not wanting you to bring any inside for worker's safety reasons...but kept in your car? I have researched other states that recently were told buy their high courts that they can not have such a policy. I'm wondering if Oregon is the same way. Anyone with information on this will be greatly appreciated.

Is your employeer ever going to search your car?

My employer claims they reserve the right to search your car or possessions at any time they see fit. I've always wondered though if they came across a locked box, could they require you to open it or fire you if you can't/won't?

you're on their property.

Locked box in your car would require a search warrant even for a police search as it's seperate from the vehicle. Not sure about if the "box" was built into the vehicle like my Odyssey has. It's a compartment in the floor between the seat rows. Problem is it's a plastic top but has a lock. Could be broken open easily if anyone wanted in. I don't usually keep anything in it.

Could they fire you for refusing to open it? Of course, that can happen in any "at will" employment state. They don't need a reason to fire you.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

Sorry guys, I have no link to post. But I beleive that it is mandated by law, that the company MUST allow firearms to be stored in your car, even on company property. I just tried finding it but I came up empty handed. Maybe I made it all up in my head?

OR nor WA has that law yet.

Wish they would "get on the stick" and do it!

I suspect my wife's employeer has a rule against guns on the premise but I ignore it when there.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

Interesting question. I suspect there are no easy answers for those who work for big multinationals whose HR departments have already thought this topic through in depth. Most of the HR state law handbooks include a reference to weapons law, and there is plenty of discussion on this topic amongst the HR people that write policy.

This is a quote from the Society of HR Managers:

"Homicides involving guns are the fourth leading cause of occupational deaths in the United States and the leading cause of workplace deaths for women....In 2007, SHRM adopted a position on weapons in the workplace, opposing any restrictions on employers’ rights to determine their own worksite policies regarding weapons on company property. SHRM’s position in no way involves the broader issues of gun controls or gun ownership."

My understanding is the only states with laws that prevent employers from banning guns in vehicles are Alaska, Minnesota, Kentucky, Kansas, Florida, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia, although the SHRM claims that 'Other states (particularly in the Midwest and South) are expected to consider similar legislation in future sessions.'

I have to wonder how effective a vehicle search would be by your typical minimum wage security guard, especially looking for something as small as a well hidden handgun.

I have to wonder how effective a vehicle search would be by your typical minimum wage security guard, especially looking for something as small as a well hidden handgun.

LOL... to give you a clue, I used to bring my folding "clip-it" knife into the night clubs (a few years back when I was single), even the places that pass a wand over you. It's easy, I used to hold my wallet in my hand because they carded everyone (w/o exception) and had the knife between the palm of my hand and wallet... they'd pass the wand from my WRIST down my arm and up the other arm up to my wrist, then go to the lower extremities. I could have smuggled a small pistol in that way too... the dummies. I tell you though, it was embarrassing the one night when they found the 8" cucumber wrapped in tin foil I had in my pants pocket.... :D

If I had a employer who madated I let them search my car, I would be off to find another job. They may think they have the right to do whatever they want because this is a "at will employment state", but don't forget the right to tell them to F@$K themselves!

I worked for a company for a long time that said you couldn't have a gun in your car in the parking lot. I never left mine at home.

In WA you cant leave a gun in a car unattended unless its in a locked box.
Probably a good idea anyway, even if you dont live in a shady area.

But my question is, what good is your pistol going to do you if its in your locked car?

either keep it with you or leave it safe at home.
Not really worth the risk

In WA you cant leave a gun in a car unattended unless its in a locked box.

Negative...

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads