Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

EMPLOYEE PARKING LOT ISSUES

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by swpost10, Mar 19, 2015.

1. swpost10

swpost10 SE Vancouver, WA Member

Now my question: if you have a car safe can businesses or POLICE FORCE YOU TO OPEN IT??? Or are they stuck???
    If you allow a search then they find the safe are they allowed to force you to allow access to your private safe???

Guess the into/background was too overpowering for anyone to see the highlighted question and
    address it... I'd really like an answer to this question!

Thanks

From the replies given I see that no one has any experience or training related to my question. In the past I have had more involved questions and gotten some very knowledgeable responses so I guess I'll have to close this thread and post elsewhere.

thanks to all who shared their ideas.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. JRH Oregon

JRH Oregon Oregon Active Member

Time to find a new employer, IMHO.

Stomper, Burt Gummer, U201491 and 3 others like this.
  3. swpost10

swpost10 SE Vancouver, WA Member

Unfortunately this appears to be STANDARD PRACTICE for most if not ALL BUSINESSES;
    finding another employer means just another one with the same issue- unless state law
    makers provide protection against this.

4. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I heard about a law in Utah which states if the biz bans gun in parked cars they they must provide a 12' fence and 24/7 guard

Not sure how accurate that is but I found it interesting

U201491 and Capn Jack like this.
  5. JRH Oregon

JRH Oregon Oregon Active Member

The owner of the shop that I work for carries everyday concealed and is a huge firearms fanatic. He has stated that we can carry while at work, if concealed.

6. LaserMan

LaserMan Eugene, OR Active Member

You just answered your own question. If you want to enter their private property then you must abide by their rules. Don't like their rules? Don't step foot on their property.

7. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

any option for not parking there? I would just park off campus and walk

You dont have to be subjected to a search, but they can fire you if you dont agree, they cant force you to open the car. If they call the police, all you have to do is leave so you are not trespassing and refuse the police search of your car. Plus you have the right to sue for wrongful termination.

There is no law that says a business can force a search of your car since that would violate the constitution and they would loose in court. Unless it was a company owned car

No where near god-like power though. If they could turn your car into a tree and make it talk if you did not subject to search then I might consider that supernatural.

dracozny, RicInOR, U201491 and 5 others like this.
  8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

We should push for that here, and make it illegal to draw funds from gov assistance if a private business wants to enact discriminatory and dangerous policies.. they better pay up!

Fences, Lights, cameras and 24/7 guards.

Fair is fair, if a business cannot deny any customer based on their lifestyle neither should an anti firearm businesses, campus' or gov facilities.

Really wish we could get something like that passed here.

U201491 likes this.
  9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I worked for a certain knife company up in Oregon City that makes decent knives!! Let's just say they make sharp things on benches :eek:

They have a policy in place that they can search your vehicle at anytime it's on their property! So after my first few days there... They had a search...
    That was it for me.. I parked right across the street from then on!
    They gave me the stink eye every single day! And actually my career there suffered for it... I didn't care tho, they didn't pay for &$:)...

Glock Jock and U201491 like this.
  10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What are the rules in your house? Same deal PRIVATE PROPERTY Allowing firearms on company property can have a big effect on insurance rates. And what if the owner is an anti gun person. DO you think your rights trump his rights on his own property?

Either park off the property, Deal with it, or run the risk. Balls in your court.

I drive dump truck for a Paving and Site construction company and to the best of my knowledge of the 65 employees at the company at least 60 own firearms and the majority go hunting. Theres probably 30 NRA stickers in the parking lot. Not to mention the Glock and S&W etc. Our Boss and His dad (sole owners of the company) both hunt every year and both own many firearms.

AND ANY employee will be fired if found to have a firearm on company property or in a company vehicle. Its 100% because of insurance rates.

And I know guys who have taken their deer rifles with them in the dump truck during season etc. They know the risk they accept it.

rick benjamin likes this.
  11. ILoveMyWoobie

ILoveMyWoobie Northwest Member

A lot of my fellow class mates have gotten jobs there and said the same thing. I'm going to school at CCC for manufacturing. Its a bs rule if u ask me.

12. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I always carried a 1/8" blade screw driver with an 12" shank on a large handle.:eek:

Didn't fit anything I worked on....:rolleyes:

Didn't even fit in my tool box.:D

13. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

In general, I would expect it would fall under private property rights - the company owns the property, so their rules on their property and inside their business. If this is a written policy and you're found in violation, depending on their written policy of how you are to be punished if you violate their policies will have an impact on whether or not you'd be able to file any kind of wrongful termination suit. That's all based on whether those policies have been established in writing, and it sounds like they are.

I know at my company, every time they update the written policy, we get a copy and have to sign a form acknowledging that we have read and understood those policies. As I understand it (I'm no lawyer mind you ;)), having those written policies in place helps to protect the employer should they need to take disciplinary action against an employee.

Now, I pay close attention to my employee handbook. We don't have vehicle searches (never have) and there are no written or spoken prohibitions from carrying at work for those that are so inclined. If they changed the policy, I don't believe there is much I could do - either I could conform, or I could leave. It's not my company, not my property. I think of it like I do my home, if you're on my property, you respect my rules, when I'm on someone else's property, I respect theirs.

I'm not aware of any laws that require an employer to provide you with personal protection, so I don't think you have any argument there either.

I'm afraid, based on what I understand, you're only left with 2 choices, and neither one seems to be particularly appealing.

PS - option #3, find a weapon you can carry that they don't exclude or haven't yet mentioned in their policies ;)

14. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

From what I have read, generally "they" can't search your vehicle, but they can *maybe* terminate you for not allowing them to search it. But it does depend on the nature of the parking lot. E.G., Walmart wouldn't have much of a compelling reason to search their employees vehicles for weapons - for stolen merchandise, maybe, and maybe only then if they had a reasonable suspicion. A lot depends on the nature of the search; random searches, probably not on a public parking lot, if someone witnessed you taking a company computer out to your car? Then maybe.

As with anything, there is a lot that has to do with context.

If it is a government facility, like a military base, then that is a horse of a different color. There was one guy here who mentioned (I think - IIRC) he worked at some facility at PDX that regularly searched cars coming and going.

Unless it was something like that - a military base, some secure facility where there was a reasonably good reason for said searches, then no, I wouldn't work for such an employer.

I recall some cases of general policies where employers said employees could not have firearms in their vehicles on company premises, but IIRC that was struck down; what was in your vehicle was nobody's business.

I haven't heard much since then.

It surprises me to hear about the knife company being so paranoid about guns. They sell to people who generally also have firearms in addition to knives.

15. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

OR & WA are at will work states. You don't need to give notice and they don't need a reason to fire you...

I had a lot of jobs say no guns at work but never even heard of someone having to let them search thier person car.

That sucks...

U201491 likes this.
  16. hker71

hker71 Portland Metro Area Active Member

Sounds like my wife's employer. I guess they had some employees rip them off blind and now she has to let them look in her purse and lunch bag when she leaves work.

They also her they can search the employee's vehicles which is absolute B.S.! I told her they cannot do that without search warrant or consent.

17. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Yep take your talents and body and work for someone that actually has some intelligence.

18. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Well that is the last Benchmade I ever buy and I may just take a torch to the ones I have out of disrespect to them. I found that to be very disturbing and never though they, of all people would stoop that low. And they actually promote the carry of Automatics and some of their knives in ways that make them unconcealed like they are pro self defense. What a crock of crap.

Glock Jock likes this.
  19. Heywood

Heywood Prineville Oregon Well-Known Member

They can not search your car without your consent anymore than I can search your car if on my property. I can however tell you to leave if you do not abide by my rules. Just as they can fire you and tell you to leave if you do not follow their rules. I.E. Not consenting to a search. I would absolutely refuse to work for a comapny that would sink to that level. I would however,work for a company that had a generic "no weapons policy" and deal with the consequences. Big boy rules apply.

swpost10 likes this.
  20. Lilhigbee

Lilhigbee SE Portland Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

This seems like it ought to be simple; your car IS, and SHOULD BE considered, private property. If it is IN your car, then it shouldn't be considered ON their property.
    When anyone comes to my house I do not make inquiries about what is in their car. It is none of my business and not within my rights, as I see them, to question. If they remove it from the vehicle and ONTO my property, then it is a different story.