JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
not sure if it was mentioned but some of that self fusing silicone tape is great for any hose leaks.

the stuff fuses with itself instantly. So a couple of wraps around a coolant hose with a leak in it and its pretty much instantly fixed.

I carry around some super glue for minor lacerations. Saved me a trip to the ER once when I sliced open a finger on a trip*

*not doctor recommended :)

Good ideas. What is the goal behind storing gas in bottles instead of the jerrycan? If the bottles are air-tight, do they stay sealed when your car heats up in the sun or changes elevation?

Room mostly. My car is small, I carry a lot of stuff in it, just that list alone takes up a good amount of the back trunk were the donut once was. That and this amount is mostly for those extreme moments were I may be out of gas. I don't feel comfortable carrying a full jerry can inside a vehicle. Her truck is a different story. When I go scouting in it I carry at least 10 gallons in the bed to extend my trips. I carry an empty in mine to fill if needed, but I don't feel comfy having a plastic container full of gas in my car. Mostly they are for dumb moments.

I've used one to help a stranded couple who ran out of gas once. It got them closer to walking distance to a gas stop. I also gave them my empty to fill once they got there. That is mainly my goal for them. That and with the mileage on my car. Having a few could get me quite a distance in a pinch.

Yes these have stayed sealed on hot, cold, and at all the elevations I've been to.

All great suggestions!
A question about the self-contained battery jumpers.
How will you know that it is still charged and ready to go? Seems like they would also lose their charge over time.

All great suggestions!
A question about the self-contained battery jumpers.
How will you know that it is still charged and ready to go? Seems like they would also lose their charge over time.

The good ones are sealed lead acid batteries, like your car battery. Charge life will depend on the quality of the battery - avoid the chinese ones. I think best practice is full discharge and recharge every 3 months. If completely discharged, the battery will undergo sulfation and lose capacity.

The battery may also suffer stratification over time, especially with partial charge cycles. Storing it in a moving car will shake it and help prevent that.

They make hand crank jumpers. I want one, but could never justify the cost. They are also pretty big.

One addition to the kit. A simple siphon hose only works on old cars or commercial trucks which don't have the new anti-roll filler neck.

However, new fuel-injection vehicles have a schraeder valve on the fuel line, accessible under the hood. It's really slow but you can plug in a tester and drain the fuel tank that way without bypassing the fuel pump relay or defeating the filler neck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006V2BI2/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

In theory this valve is on all cars/trucks but GM requires a special adaptor.

ok. so 1 thing I havent seen on the list that I always carry and its going to make some poeple laugh and some go Aa ha thats a good idea is Wet wipes. its good to keep some TP in the rig but if your out in the woods and nature calls moisturized wetwipes are a lifesaver...just saying

A lot of good info here! I carry several road flares. You can build fires easily with them, but I carry them specifically to catch the deflated spare tire on fire in the event of an air search. Big smoke!

I carry a lot of the stuff already listed. As a former firefighter, I carry two of the 5 pound extinguishers, a fiberglass handled axe, a 4 foot crow bar. I have a always in the vehicle list, and then differing equipment load outs depending on what I am doing, where I am going and for how long. I do not get off road much, stay on decent logging roads.

There was one other mention of ham radio, I usually have 3 with me on even a day trip. Two HTs and a hard mount with an extra run up the tree antenna. There is virtually nowhere I travel that I cannot reach somebody.

The prior post was a lol (perhaps) but it just dawned on me when I saw my repair manual peeking out from under my seat that a repair manual can come in handy. Knock on wood always.
A lot of folk just carry a credit card/cell phone or a quarter (lol).
No matter what car I have, and I've had a couple (this one going on thirty years), I buy a good repair manual and generally stow it in said car.. along with the chains, axe and whatnot.
Motorbikes, a full survival and repair kit but no manual.. just phone numbers for those that'd drop their first born to do whatever for me.. may God continue to bless their souls.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top